Starting the swing

I stink with the driver. I take lessons, hit a ton of balls but i totally stink during a round. My instructor correctly tells me I often starts the driver swing outside. I know I should start the swing with my lead shoulder but suffer getting a feel for that. Perhaps because I’m not relaxed. Any suggestions on getting the first few feet of the driver swing correct.

I was having this issues with taking the club too far to the outside and i used an alignment stick on the outside of the ball that was tee'd up and just made practice swings taking it more on the inside. You can do this in your home as I am not making full swings, just engraining the movement of the first few feet of my takeaway.

Also, it worked for me, focus on your breathing. Sounds silly, but I realized over the tee I was not relaxed and holding my breath through the swing. I exhale before taking a swing and it's helped relax my swing and has helped me get better tempo.

This is what Dr Phil Cheetham says (ie. the kinematics expert).

The Takeaway Sequence

It is common for most good ball strikers to begin their takeaway sequence with the club first, followed by the arms, chest and then hips. This is not always the case, but the key point is not to let the hips start the motion

This is what Dr Phil Cheetham says (ie. the kinematics expert).

The Takeaway Sequence

It is common for most good ball strikers to begin their takeaway sequence with the club first, followed by the arms, chest and then hips. This is not always the case, but the key point is not to let the hips start the motion

I think a lot of this is almost imperceptible. I'm working on the small movement so one doesn't start from a static position, and then I think the hands/arms move slightly, then chest, then a big hip movement. But it may feel like the hips start moving first because it is a strong movement with that trail foot pressure into the ground, but no.

I was having this issues with taking the club too far to the outside and i used an alignment stick on the outside of the ball that was tee'd up and just made practice swings taking it more on the inside. You can do this in your home as I am not making full swings, just engraining the movement of the first few feet of my takeaway.

Also, it worked for me, focus on your breathing. Sounds silly, but I realized over the tee I was not relaxed and holding my breath through the swing. I exhale before taking a swing and it's helped relax my swing and has helped me get better tempo.
Thanks, I have had success with placing a shoe box outside to the right side of the ball back a foot or more. For a while I was hitting the box. Not as much now in practice. Still do it too much in play. I will try the breathing. Used to that when i shot foul shots a million years ago.

I try to keep the shoulders out of the backswing. My purpose is to swing my hands back and up parallel with the ball/target line to the top. The wrists fling the clubhead up to the top with the hands following the clubhead and the left shoulder following the hands. The motive power to start it off has the left thigh rotating towards the target and the left humerus rotating away from the target.
Razaar, Dont take the bait.

Razaar - I will never understand the mind set of someone saying this BC I was complimenting you on you success. Unbelievable!!
I think there is a trust issue. Most of them don't understand the palm up thing during the downswing. Mainly I think that nobody has explained to them why it is important. Want to give it a shot?

I think there is a trust issue. Most of them don't understand the palm up thing during the downswing. Mainly I think that nobody has explained to them why it is important. Want to give it a shot?
The problem is the thread gets derailed as it is about Starting the swing and the focus was the driver by the original poster. Lane can start another thread and discuss the palm up thing during the downswing.

Razaar- I have explained it ad nauseam, but all I get is how i am stupid and also a moron. These folks are so brain washed with misinformation they are incapable of listening to FACTS. Anything that is different is immediately rejected. Very few are willing to observe and research for themselves.
That is the major reason Gerry stopped trying to help and will not put out another book . I don’t know if it is possible to overcome the theory banded about . It has become perceived as being factual.
One of the PGA tours greatest ball striker recently said that Gerry should be the Ambassador of all golf instruction in the world . I’ ll let you figure out who that is . I think you are a big fan of him.
I have tried hard to teach people something special , but most reject anything that is even slightly out of the norm. The players who have listened have experienced golf as they never could or would, just as you have. You understand it , although you state it in different terms.
Thanks,

The problem is the thread gets derailed as it is about Starting the swing and the focus was the driver by the original poster. Lane can start another thread and discuss the palm up thing during the downswing.
How is it possible for me or anyone to convince you or anyone the * major key * to a successful golf swing is the HANDS when concrete evidence about how the brain sees itself discovered by our brightest Neurologist and Brain Surgeons is denied / rejected ? Discoveries that are documented in medical journals and lauded by thousands of Surgeons . I have discussed this with Neurologist to confirm these facts. Theory and opinion reign supreme. I don’t see this changing during my lifetime.

How is it possible for me or anyone to convince you or anyone the * major key * to a successful golf swing is the HANDS when concrete evidence about how the brain sees itself discovered by our brightest Neurologist and Brain Surgeons is denied / rejected ? Discoveries that are documented in medical journals and lauded by thousands of Surgeons . I have discussed this with Neurologist to confirm these facts. Theory and opinion reign supreme. I don’t see this changing during my lifetime.
BTW - I posted on the Gerry Horgan * theories * thread and it was closed down shortly thereafter.

Razaar- I have explained it ad nauseam, but all I get is how i am stupid and also a moron. These folks are so brain washed with misinformation they are incapable of listening to FACTS. Anything that is different is immediately rejected. Very few are willing to observe and research for themselves.
That is the major reason Gerry stopped trying to help and will not put out another book . I don’t know if it is possible to overcome the theory banded about . It has become perceived as being factual.
One of the PGA tours greatest ball striker recently said that Gerry should be the Ambassador of all golf instruction in the world . I’ ll let you figure out who that is . I think you are a big fan of him.
I have tried hard to teach people something special , but most reject anything that is even slightly out of the norm. The players who have listened have experienced golf as they never could or would, just as you have. You understand it , although you state it in different terms.
Thanks,

What remains above is what is relevant to the question asked by the previous poster. This is why you have threads shut down. Instead of defending yourself, please explain.

Thanks,

Lane, one thing to note is to stop making false accusations against the rest of us. You are not a victim and you don't hold a major key to the golf swing which has been proven over and over again with evidence based facts which you have rejected. These folks are not brain washed and if you took a few moments to have some respect for the rest of us it would go a long way in this forum. People do not like being beaten over the head with someone else's theories.

Once again why keep taking threads off topic and eventually getting them shut down? If you have trouble staying on topic maybe you can tell us why you have problems and we can see if we can help you. I struggle with getting off topic a lot and it is hard for me. Can you not share ONE single thing about starting the swing with the driver for the original poster? Not one? Don't you have something of value to share about starting the driver swing?

The topic of the thread is Starting the swing

Thinking about starting the swing - while watching another Dr. Kwon video I noticed that he made a statement that seemed to fit this topic perfectly. He said that the drills are really the trigger to the swing.

I could not figure out exactly what he meant, but I think this is more of a mental thing. Once you have learned the rhythm then it is ingrained and anything can trigger that, whether it be hands, arms, body, waggle, feet, or whatever.

I know from practicing this week with the drills it became so much easier and I could start the swing without hardly a thought with what felt like more fluidness.

Lane, one thing to note is to stop making false accusations against the rest of us. You are not a victim and you don't hold a major key to the golf swing which has been proven over and over again with evidence based facts which you have rejected. These folks are not brain washed and if you took a few moments to have some respect for the rest of us it would go a long way in this forum. People do not like being beaten over the head with someone else's theories.

Once again why keep taking threads off topic and eventually getting them shut down? If you have trouble staying on topic maybe you can tell us why you have problems and we can see if we can help you. I struggle with getting off topic a lot and it is hard for me. Can you not share ONE single thing about starting the swing with the driver for the original poster? Not one? Don't you have something of value to share about starting the driver swing?

The topic of the thread is Starting the swing
OK- starting the swing—- I repeat!
Our ‘ dominant hands ‘ are the Only connection to the shaft / lever ( implement designed for the task) . Since the body will always obey their commands without questioning the simple INTENT of our hands to ‘’ lift ‘’ the shaft back around and form a lever between our arms and shaft / lever implement triggers the body to respond and position itself to accommodate that. The arms, shoulders, hips , knees and feet ( those dummies below ) wil comply as instructed and your left side lat and back muscles will be stretched and ready to PULL your lever back down and around to provide you power at the simple ‘ intent / instruction / commands / directive / downward pulling motion of the dominant right hand.
OK - I know . That’s wrong . It can NOT be that simple!!! Their has got to be a SECRET . If I could just find it when it is right down ther on the ends of your arms!

OK- starting the swing—- I repeat!
Our ‘ dominant hands ‘ are the Only connection to the shaft / lever ( implement designed for the task) . Since the body will always obey their commands without questioning the simple INTENT of our hands to ‘’ lift ‘’ the shaft back around and form a lever between our arms and shaft / lever implement triggers the body to respond and position itself to accommodate that. The arms, shoulders, hips , knees and feet ( those dummies below ) wil comply as instructed and your left side lat and back muscles will be stretched and ready to PULL your lever back down and around to provide you power at the simple ‘ intent / instruction / commands / directive / downward pulling motion of the dominant right hand.
OK - I know . That’s wrong . It can NOT be that simple!!! Their has got to be a SECRET . If I could just find it when it is right down ther on the ends of your arms!
So reading what you posted there is nothing helpful for a person struggling starting the swing. It is just random bits of information without thought separation.

Imagine for a moment that I am a golfer that is struggling starting the swing with my driver and need to know what to do in the first few feet of the takeaway. I am not having problems with the start of the swing with the rest of my clubs. What does your post tell me that I need to do to start my swing with my driver?

Here are some things you state in your post that are not helpful with the problem that someone is having starting their swing with the driver:
1. The dominant hands connect to the shaft.
2. The body obeys the commands of the hands.
3. The arms, shoulders, hips, knees and feet will comply as instructed (to what is not specified)
4. Lat and back muscles are stretched and ready to pull and provide power to the dominant right hand.

So what can be taken from your post that actually helps the person with the issue of starting the driver swing? Think of it this way, the person needs to be able to apply something to help them.

So reading what you posted there is nothing helpful for a person struggling starting the swing. It is just random bits of information without thought separation.

Imagine for a moment that I am a golfer that is struggling starting the swing with my driver and need to know what to do in the first few feet of the takeaway. I am not having problems with the start of the swing with the rest of my clubs. What does your post tell me that I need to do to start my swing with my driver?

Here are some things you state in your post that are not helpful with the problem that someone is having starting their swing with the driver:
1. The dominant hands connect to the shaft.
2. The body obeys the commands of the hands.
3. The arms, shoulders, hips, knees and feet will comply as instructed (to what is not specified)
4. Lat and back muscles are stretched and ready to pull and provide power to the dominant right hand.

So what can be taken from your post that actually helps the person with the issue of starting the driver swing? Think of it this way, the person needs to be able to apply something to help them.
I am convinced that nothing will ever help you . If you can’t understand something so simple as what I posted I listed would suggest you ignore me and look somewhere else!
I can’t explain it any simpler . That’s my best shot!
Good luck

I am convinced that nothing will ever help you . If you can’t understand something so simple as what I posted I listed would suggest you ignore me and look somewhere else!
Good luck

Lane - what he essentially said or asked about is that some people have a mental or physical block about starting the swing - is there a solution like moving your feet imperceptibly, barely moving your hips to the left and then turning right - to start the swing, a lag or something else that will allow a smooth start where everything stays in synch.

It wasn't a question about the entire swing but staying athletic enough over the ball to smoothly start it.:unsure:

All this thread (and others) is missing is Ted Koppel posting daily updates saying, “Swing Tips forum held hostage, Day XXX.”

Lane - what he essentially said or asked about is that some people have a mental or physical block about starting the swing - is there a solution like moving your feet imperceptibly, barely moving your hips to the left and then turning right - to start the swing, a lag or something else that will allow a smooth start where everything stays in synch.

It wasn't a question about the entire swing but staying athletic enough over the ball to smoothly start it.:unsure:
That’s not the OP’s question either. The question is how to get the start of the swing correct. @Lane saying “Do it with your dominant hands” is like saying go build a car with no instructions on how to do so. OK, we get it. But HOW do you do it?

OP:
I stink with the driver. I take lessons, hit a ton of balls but i totally stink during a round. My instructor correctly tells me I often starts the driver swing outside. I know I should start the swing with my lead shoulder but suffer getting a feel for that. Perhaps because I’m not relaxed. Any suggestions on getting the first few feet of the driver swing correct.

That’s not the OP’s question either. The question is how to get the start of the swing correct. @Lane saying “Do it with your dominant hands” is like saying go build a car with no instructions on how to do so. OK, we get it. But HOW do you do it?

OP:

Believe it or not - I have a problem starting the swing and staying athletic - a little move to create momentum, and with less thought gets the first few feet of the driver going in the right direction Sounds as if OP starts off disconnected so the club start outside when the hands should slide by the right hip - probably using his hands too much at the start of the swing - hands start first, arms, chest then hips - it's quick, almost imperceptible and then the hips kick in hard - arms and hands must stay relaxed.

Believe it or not - I have a problem starting the swing and staying athletic - a little move to create momentum, and with less thought gets the first few feet of the driver going in the right direction Sounds as if OP starts off disconnected so the club start outside when the hands should slide by the right hip - probably using his hands too much at the start of the swing - hands start first, arms, chest then hips - it's quick, almost imperceptible and then the hips kick in hard - arms and hands must stay relaxed.
I don’t have any issues starting the swing, but I fear I do have consistency issues. My thought was always the less moving parts, the better. I may have to rethink that.

Good luck
Uh...I am not the one asking for help with starting the swing. Not sure how you derived that from my post. Oh well...moving on. :facepalm:

Uh...I am not the one asking for help with starting the swing. Not sure how you derived that from my post. Oh well...moving on. :facepalm:
Welcome to the club of folks that simply can’t be helped. We seem to be growing by the day :drinks:

I don't think I have problems starting the swing, however I don't know that there are not ways that would work better starting my swing. After playing around with Dr. Kwon's drills there seems more rhythm and not a frozen-ness to it. This I think is only feel though.

Back