Starting the swing

Welcome to the club of folks that simply can’t be helped. We seem to be growing by the day :drinks:
The thought of mental acuity just popped into my pea brain. Glad I still have some mental humor left. :ROFLMAO:

Something which helped me: I put a quarter about 2 feet behind the ball, the idea being to drag the club head over the quarter on the back swing. Starting the swing with a slight push of my hands before starting the backswing. It helped my driver swing.

I don't think I have problems starting the swing, however I don't know that there are not ways that would work better starting my swing. After playing around with Dr. Kwon's drills there seems more rhythm and not a frozen-ness to it. This I think is only feel though.

Still working on it - if you look at some of these threads, you see Stenson and even JT moving a bit before the swing - their butt moves back and then the hips move and turn to start. It's about not being entirely still at setup - I move my feet imperceptibly over a putt before the stroke. Looking for something in the full swing where it's easy to stay loose and not still as I begin the swing.

Lane - what he essentially said or asked about is that some people have a mental or physical block about starting the swing - is there a solution like moving your feet imperceptibly, barely moving your hips to the left and then turning right - to start the swing, a lag or something else that will allow a smooth start where everything stays in synch.

It wasn't a question about the entire swing but staying athletic enough over the ball to smoothly start it.:unsure:
I didn’t discuss ‘ the entire swing’ . I ONLY discussed what happens in the BS which is the least important part.
I never mentioned the DS. I stayed strictly on the topic!

I didn’t discuss ‘ the entire swing’ . I ONLY discussed what happens in the BS which is the least important part.

I think because you post in generalities and not particulars, that is the issue. Okay, it's the hands. Do you start statically? Are you saying the body automatically responds to the movement of the hands? I noticed the golfers you posted in vids have a quick backswing - so the hands start fast but in a rhythm?

OK - I can’t make it hard. I only do simple!
If I handed you a rock and asked you to throw it would you squeeze the rock hard with your hands and stand there trying to figure out how start- how you were supposed to move your feet to throw it or would you just hold it a relaxed manner and throw it?

If a person responses to his own message isn't it an indication that nobody is paying attention to what you are saying. (Reply not needed)

I think because you post in generalities and not particulars, that is the issue. Okay, it's the hands. Do you start statically? Are you saying the body automatically responds to the movement of the hands? I noticed the golfers you posted in vids have a quick backswing - so the hands start fast but in a rhythm?
I don’t know how I can make it any clearer. Yes - the body responds to its dominant hands. Just like it bends over for you to tie your shoes or fling your hands and arms around your body . Or when you bend over to drive a nail into wood 12 inches from the ground.

I don’t know how I can make it any clearer. Yes - the body responds to its dominant hands. Just like it bends over for you to tie your shoes or fling your hands and arms around your body . Or when you bend over to drive a nail into wood 12 inches from the ground.

I get it.

But the People want more detail. Why? The mind gets in the way of the swing. It's a mental thing. Once my instructor and I had a talk about the mind, lately I've been more confident and happier playing the game. Thought goes out the door and I feel the rhythm... once I have the pattern. I am now establishing a new pattern and I am aware when I do not perform the pattern.

The thing is that one must improve their pattern or establish a new pattern to improve. That's why people take lessons. A QB may not realize he's throwing off his backfoot leading to inconsistency. So he practices a new pattern and at first that takes thought until the pattern is established and routine. You discuss the hands but even you give lessons - so the swing is not learned overnight. Your students must establish a new pattern.

I get it.

But the People want more detail. Why? The mind gets in the way of the swing. It's a mental thing. Once my instructor and I had a talk about the mind, lately I've been more confident and happier playing the game. Thought goes out the door and I feel the rhythm... once I have the pattern. I am now establishing a new pattern and I am aware when I do not perform the pattern.

The thing is that one must improve their pattern or establish a new pattern to improve. That's why people take lessons. A QB may not realize he's throwing off his backfoot leading to inconsistency. So he practices a new pattern and at first that takes thought until the pattern is established and routine. You discuss the hands but even you give lessons - so the swing is not learned overnight. Your students must establish a new pattern.
Sorry I can’t be more detailed. I don’t know how to make it hard!

Sorry I can’t be more detailed. I don’t know how to make it hard!

That's why you get so much flak. People want a detailed progression. That's okay. Just continue to be aware that people will not appreciate the lack of detail.

I get it.

It's funny, the hands thing makes total sense to me and I think there's a lot of merit to it. Moving the body to direct the hands to do something is darn instinctual.

But, like most athletic endeavours, putting something in somebody's hands and telling them to do something with it, instinct goes out the window.

It's funny, the hands thing makes total sense to me and I think there's a lot of merit to it. Moving the body to direct the hands to do something is darn instinctual.

But, like most athletic endeavours, putting something in somebody's hands and telling them to do something with it, instinct goes out the window.

For me, it was a mental thing as to starting the swing. I think it's the same for others in terms of starting from a static position. I noticed @Lane vids of his players - extremely quick swings. They just took it back fast.

For me, it was a mental thing as to starting the swing. I think it's the same for others in terms of starting from a static position. I noticed @Lane vids of his players - extremely quick swings. They just took it back fast.
I spent lots of time teaching these two good players how they should form their levers back around behind their body!
I’d guess about 5-10 seconds. I teach that which is actually important to learning- the DS . That which is the hard part !Others can choose to discuss the easy stuff that a child can do. It bores me. It doesn’t challenge me ! To easy!

Maybe that's the difference between those who get better at golf quickly and those who struggle forever. Maybe that's also why learning golf (or a lot of other sports) at a young age seems to be easier????

I sometimes believe many better players do not understand that the game does not come as naturally to others. Without that understanding, how can an instructor possibly reach those type of students?

Same. I need to have a mental cue to slow me down, otherwise I get hands and snatch the club back inside and bad things happen.
Maybe that's the difference between those who get better at golf quickly and those who struggle forever. Maybe that's also why learning golf (or a lot of other sports) at a young age seems to be easier????

I sometimes believe many better players do not understand that the game does not come as naturally to others. Without that understanding, how can an instructor possibly reach those type of students?
I mean, obviously good natural athletes will figure it out faster and easier. Some people just have to work at it less to be good (every PGA Tour player). Granted, they work really hard to be exceptional, but they don't need to work hard to be good.

I do agree that the best players usually make the worst coaches and the coaches of the best players are not usually the best coaches.

That’s not the OP’s question either. The question is how to get the start of the swing correct. @Lane saying “Do it with your dominant hands” is like saying go build a car with no instructions on how to do so. OK, we get it. But HOW do you do it?

OP:
I stink with the driver. I take lessons, hit a ton of balls but i totally stink during a round. My instructor correctly tells me I often starts the driver swing outside. I know I should start the swing with my lead shoulder but suffer getting a feel for that. Perhaps because I’m not relaxed. Any suggestions on getting the first few feet of the driver swing correct.

So I can visualize this a bit better, you mean your right shoulder is swinging more out than it is down, yes?

Same. I need to have a mental cue to slow me down, otherwise I get hands and snatch the club back inside and bad things happen.

I mean, obviously good natural athletes will figure it out faster and easier. Some people just have to work at it less to be good (every PGA Tour player). Granted, they work really hard to be exceptional, but they don't need to work hard to be good.

I do agree that the best players usually make the worst coaches and the coaches of the best players are not usually the best coaches.
Are you serious ? Ben Hogan didn’t work hard to be good ? Tiger Woods didn’t have to ? Yeah - they just picked up a club and whammo- they were experts ?

Sorry , but their is NO SUCH THING as a * natural * golfer . Their is absolutely nothing NATURAL about the golf swing . It a learned conscious task . The great Ben Hogan stated the same !
A good athlete will always have an advantage over a lesser athlete , but the lesser athlete can play as good or better than a better athlete if they have better golf techniques.
If being a great natural athlete was the key then Michael Jordan and many other great athletes other than golfers would win every tournament.

Do the dominant hands START the driver moving without anything else happening? Is that the start of the driver swing? Yes, or No?

Sorry , but their is NO SUCH THING as a * natural * golfer . Their is absolutely nothing NATURAL about the golf swing . It a learned conscious task . The great Ben Hogan stated the same !
A good athlete will always have an advantage over a lesser athlete , but the lesser athlete can play as good or better than a better athlete if they have better golf techniques.
If being a great natural athlete was the key then Michael Jordan and many other great athletes other than golfers would win every tournament.
I completely disagree with there not being natural golfers. There are people that can close their eyes and hit golf balls and play golf fine with a natural swing they are born with. There is proven evidence of that simple FACT, but this thread is NOT about that.

So I can visualize this a bit better, you mean your right shoulder is swinging more out than it is down, yes?
Would this be different for less vertical swings versus vertical swings? I know one very good golfer that has a vertical swing and it seems he has minimum down shoulder movement.

Hi Lane. First, we disagree on what defines a natural athlete. In my opinion, there is so much more to athleticism than strength and speed. Similarly, there is more to being an excellent instructor than knowledge.

Speaking of poor instruction, you seem to contradict yourself here...

Their is absolutely nothing NATURAL about the golf swing . It a learned conscious task .

Others can choose to discuss the easy stuff that a child can do. It bores me. It doesn’t challenge me ! To easy!

Whatever you know about golf - and I believe it is substantial - you need to work at communicating that knowledge - that is if helping others is really a goal of yours. For example, I'm working on something you've mentioned several times about the palm up on the trail hand and there seems to be something to it. But your replies are often insulting and less than informative.

You're fond of telling folks "if you don't like what I have to say, just ignore my posts". But that's a bit difficult to do when you keep quoting them. You can do whatever you want as it's not my forum. But really, it would be ok with me if you never again shared any of your knowledge with me.

Back