Starting the swing

OK- starting the swing—- I repeat!
Our ‘ dominant hands ‘ are the Only connection to the shaft / lever ( implement designed for the task) . Since the body will always obey their commands without questioning the simple INTENT of our hands to ‘’ lift ‘’ the shaft back around and form a lever between our arms and shaft / lever implement triggers the body to respond and position itself to accommodate that. The arms, shoulders, hips , knees and feet ( those dummies below ) wil comply as instructed and your left side lat and back muscles will be stretched and ready to PULL your lever back down and around to provide you power at the simple ‘ intent / instruction / commands / directive / downward pulling motion of the dominant right hand.
OK - I know . That’s wrong . It can NOT be that simple!!! Their has got to be a SECRET . If I could just find it when it is right down ther on the ends of your arms!

Lane, Can you share a slowmo or regular video of someone performing this method? It may help us understand better if we saw a video of you or someone you know.

Lane, Can you share a slowmo or regular video of someone performing this method? It may help us understand better if we saw a video of you or someone you know.
I don't think he has any. We have asked before, but maybe he can come up with something. If what he has is the secret "key" then we would all want to know so we can be better golfers.

Do the dominant hands START the driver moving without anything else happening? Is that the start of the driver swing? Yes, or No?
I can't answer your question yes or no . Let me explain it with a simple illustration -------
Pretend you have a plate of cookies in the palm of your hand as waiter does .( Please don't drop em - I like cookies .)
and offer that person standing behind you a cookie. Could you easily rotate that plate around behind you without spilling them and without moving your feet ? Of course you could . Stupid question !!!
Did your shoulders , hips , knees , and feet automatically rotate to make that happen ? Maybe the heel of your left foot might have also lifted off the ground to help your rotate that much ?

Do the dominant hands START the driver moving without anything else happening? Is that the start of the driver swing? Yes, or No?

I know this was not for me but I will answer. I'm right handed. the left shoulder moves the left arm to start the swing. Just wished I'd figured this out 30 years ago. One of my playing companions of over 30 years simply lets his right hand raise the club and it is visble to the eye about 6 inches into the backswing. Data I have says the left hand leading in a right hand golfer gets better results.

[/QUOTE
I made a 0:03 video in my living room , but it says it was to big for the server.

I can't answer your question yes or no . Let me explain it with a simple illustration -------
Pretend you have a plate of cookies in the palm of your hand as waiter does .( Please don't drop em - I like cookies .)
and offer that person standing behind you a cookie. Could you easily rotate that plate around behind you without spilling them and without moving your feet ? Of course you could . Stupid question !!!
Did your shoulders , hips , knees , and feet automatically rotate to make that happen ? Maybe the heel of your left foot might have also lifted off the ground to help your rotate that much ?
Your illustration doesn't fit the golf swing. Let's approach this another way. We know the brain sends the command, but what actually starts the driver swing in your opinion? The left hand, right hand, left arm, right arm, left shoulder, right shoulder, left foot, right foot, leg waggle/movement, hips, back, head, neck, or a combination of things?

Please don't give up on trying to get us a video, or at least of someone that has learned your methods.

I know this was not for me but I will answer. I'm right handed. the left shoulder moves the left arm to start the swing. Just wished I'd figured this out 30 years ago. One of my playing companions of over 30 years simply lets his right hand raise the club and it is visble to the eye about 6 inches into the backswing. Data I have says the left hand leading in a right hand golfer gets better results.
I think a lot of golfers start the way you mention. I am trying to think how I start my swing, but I have never really thought about it. It just happens. Now after this thread I want to know :ROFLMAO:

I think a lot of golfers start the way you mention. I am trying to think how I start my swing, but I have never really thought about it. It just happens. Now after this thread I want to know :ROFLMAO:
Do you hold your fork wit( your left hand and use a lever to cut bite the sizes you want ? If you are right handed , do you start shaving the right side of your face first ? When you stop to look for oncoming traffic do you look to the right first ? If we pitched coins to a line for cash which hand would you use ? Do you cast a fishing rod with your dominant hand ?
Then someone comes along and tells you that you must use your less dominant hand to control the shaft ? How did that get started ? Who put that misinformation out to make golf so hard ? Why do that to us ?

Would this be different for less vertical swings versus vertical swings? I know one very good golfer that has a vertical swing and it seems he has minimum down shoulder movement.

Too far down and you’re under plane and now giving yourself the chance at the illusive two way miss that you have no idea where it’s going and when it’s showing up.

For me, my thought was to just get my left shoulder back from under my chin. That seemingly kept my right shoulder from going too far around early, and still get into a decent position.

But feel isn’t at all real, so what makes sense to me might be as simple as bumping your left hip forward like an inch before you start to unwind. That might be your trigger you need to get to a good position, but that same thought might drop my right shoulder too much and now I’m just stuck and dead.

Are you serious ? Ben Hogan didn’t work hard to be good ? Tiger Woods didn’t have to ? Yeah - they just picked up a club and whammo- they were experts ?
Again, you're strawmaning my post by changing my words. Very intellectually dishonest of you. You do that so often, I would think you would start to feel ashamed.

Yes. I'm serious. They worked really hard to be great. They worked hard to be experts (I would argue about whether Tiger is a swing expert). But I bet they wouldn't have needed to work hard to be -9 indexes. Tiger Woods was on TV at 3 crushing golf balls, he was naturally a good golfer.

Do you hold your fork wit( your left hand and use a lever to cut bite the sizes you want ?
in that scenario, fork and knife cutting a steak, I use my left hand to feed myself. The one holding the fork.
If you are right handed , do you start shaving the right side of your face first ?
no, I use my right hand and start on the left side.
When you stop to look for oncoming traffic do you look to the right first ?
no. I look left, right, left.
If we pitched coins to a line for cash which hand would you use ?
right
Do you cast a fishing rod with your dominant hand ?
no I cast left handed and reel with the right
Then someone comes along and tells you that you must use your less dominant hand to control the shaft ?
yes, gloved hand most towards the butt of the club is the one I use to control the swing.
How did that get started ?
I dunno but it feels most natural since it's closest to the butt end of the club
Who put that misinformation out to make golf so hard ?
don't know.
Why do that to us ?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

in that scenario, fork and knife cutting a steak, I use my left hand to feed myself. The one holding the fork. no, I use my right hand and start on the left side. no. I look left, right, left. right no I cast left handed and reel with the right
yes, gloved hand most towards the butt of the club is the one I use to control the swing. I dunno but it feels most natural since it's closest to the butt end of the club don't know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
in that scenario, fork and knife cutting a steak, I use my left hand to feed myself. The one holding the fork. no, I use my right hand and start on the left side. no. I look left, right, left. right no I cast left handed and reel with the right
yes, gloved hand most towards the butt of the club is the one I use to control the swing. I dunno but it feels most natural since it's closest to the butt end of the club don't know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well- one might ascertain that you are - left hand dominant!!!!

I used all the patience and empathy I had. Everyone else has showed it, too. Time to just pass by his posts.:unsure: He's taught us everything he believes we need to know.

;)

Well- one might ascertain that you are - left hand dominant!!!!
I write right handed. Use a spoon with my right hand. I would consider myself right handed.

Again, you're strawmaning my post by changing my words. Very intellectually dishonest of you. You do that so often, I would think you would start to feel ashamed.

Yes. I'm serious. They worked really hard to be great. They worked hard to be experts (I would argue about whether Tiger is a swing expert). But I bet they wouldn't have needed to work hard to be -9 indexes. Tiger Woods was on TV at 3 crushing golf balls, he was naturally a good golfer.
You are obviously responding to the wrong person. I never stated that , “ Tiger was a swing expert .”

Do you hold your fork wit( your left hand and use a lever to cut bite the sizes you want ? If you are right handed , do you start shaving the right side of your face first ? When you stop to look for oncoming traffic do you look to the right first ? If we pitched coins to a line for cash which hand would you use ? Do you cast a fishing rod with your dominant hand ?
Then someone comes along and tells you that you must use your less dominant hand to control the shaft ? How did that get started ? Who put that misinformation out to make golf so hard ? Why do that to us ?
What in the world are you responding to with this totally irrelevant information? Not going to allow you to sidetrack and derail again. Back to what starts the swing.

My opinion is that it is practically impossible to nail down what starts the golf swing. With the Pros you might see one thing with a wood and another with a driver and another with an iron. The thing is different swings are started different ways by the Pros. You might see a left arm twitch, waggle, foot press, and so on. There are hundreds of ways to start the swing. If one observes they will find there are some common triggers that are used by the pros, both LPGA and PGA, such as a forward press or waggle.

Watching quite a few live action swings over the years, no matter whether it be waggle or forward press trigger, I find that there is an uncanny stillness (a frozen moment in time) that occurs at address. No matter how brief in time this moment is, it happens right before the swing (takeaway) starts when the club is right behind the ball. It is like a frozen focus moment where they are taking a mental snapshot of club head at address.

I believe this brief moment of frozen focus is a critical key and what I think is a common denominator. Careful attention should be given to how the pros do this. It is as if they are taking a snap shot of an image to the brain at the impact point to recall it when the swing gets back there.

I used all the patience and empathy I had. Everyone else has showed it, too. Time to just pass by his posts.:unsure: He's taught us everything he believes we need to know.

;)
Nah - you are not going to learn anything . You are to far gone and to close minded, but just maybe that one person gave it some thought and will have learned something.

Nah - you are not going to learn anything . You are to far gone and to close minded, but just maybe that one person gave it some thought and will have learned something.

Please just stop judging people. I have four degrees, two professional accreditations, numerous awards and love to learn - I read your posts and attempted to draw you out to say more, to learn more. You offered little.

You have nothing more. All you do is insult people. We are sad for you. When you can make a contribution, please do so. But you are a negative force on this board and I do not appreciate it. I will just pass you by until you have something positive to offer.

Please just stop judging people. I have four degrees, two professional accreditations, numerous awards and love to learn - I read your posts and attempted to draw you out to say more, to learn more. You offered little.

You have nothing more. All you do is insult people. We are sad for you. When you can make a contribution, please do so. But you are a negative force on this board and I do not appreciate it. I will just pass you by until you have something positive to offer.
Wishing you a happy and healthy 2022. Congrats on your educational expertise. I only have one degree - a honorable discharge from Uncle Sam’s Army . Just a average old dumba** who knows nothing !

Wishing you a happy and healthy 2022. Congrats on your educational expertise. I only have one degree - a honorable discharge from Uncle Sam’s Army . Just a average old dumba** who knows nothing !

If you recall, your point was that I was "not going to learn anything."

The point I was making, and what you are missing, is that I enjoy learning. I tried to get that learning out of you repeatedly but there is no juice to squeeze.

Enjoy.

Sadly your many posts have given the best support for your last partial sentence. If you want to change that, you can start at any time and become part of the discussion in a good way. I will admit based on your posts that I have little hope that would occur.

You are obviously responding to the wrong person. I never stated that , “ Tiger was a swing expert .”
I can't believe I took your troll bait. I'm done with you and your strawman and gaslighting.

Good day, sir.

Please don’t feel sad for me. My life is incredibly good , especially since I learned to hit a golf ball as good as I can and still play at a fairly high level at age 82 . I wish I could help you learn something very special and I tried the best I could , but I understand where you are coming from and why that happens . Been there, done all that theory , opinion stuff that doesn’t work .
I’ll certainly miss some of you correcting my mistakes everyday.

Please don’t feel sad for me. My life is incredibly good , especially since I learned to hit a golf ball as good as I can and still play at a fairly high level at age 82 . I wish I could help you learn something very special and I tried the best I could , but I understand where you are coming from and why that happens . Been there, done all that theory , opinion stuff that doesn’t work .
I’ll certainly miss some of you correcting my mistakes everyday.

Your off forum life may be good, but if you keep it up with your back and forth with forum members the way you’re doing it now, your on forum life will not be shut down. Enough of this.

Back