Staying on plane in the backswing

Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
The one bright spot of struggling with my new 10.5 driver, I realized how vertical my swing was in the backswing. I knew I had to swing more around. Doing some online research, I realized something basic that I ignored, the swing plane and the ol visual of the hula hoop, showing the tilted swing plane. I've practiced staying on plane and my driver that was slicing is now straight. It's funny after years of playing, we just forget some of the basics. I think it's because we get distracted with trying something new.

when I'm learning something new, it takes me months before I go to the course and do it without thought or forgetting.

my 2 cents. setup properly, let the left shoulder and arm move the club back and keep your arms connected to your core. the plane takes care of itself. when we come disconnected and let the arms take over it all goes bad eventually for me. swing the club with just the lead arm. Notice its range of motion is limited vs the position most of us hit in a backswing

when I'm learning something new, it takes me months before I go to the course and do it without thought or forgetting.

my 2 cents. setup properly, let the left shoulder and arm move the club back and keep your arms connected to your core. the plane takes care of itself. when we come disconnected and let the arms take over it all goes bad eventually for me. swing the club with just the lead arm. Notice its range of motion is limited vs the position most of us hit in a backswing

Good stuff Acesteve. I like the idea of practicing a lot before changing it on the course. Your idea of letting the left shoulder and arm move the club back and keep your arms connected to your core; feels great and connected. However, how do you get the club up? I never know if I am not flexible or just get stuck on the backswing because I am moving wrong.

my shoulder and a firm left arm go together as the left shoulder moves under my chin. when shoulder is almost under my chin, my left arm is parallel to the ground. from there if my temperment is good I finish my turn and start my transition. The act of simply transitioning and not letting go of the grip on the left hand starts to drop the club for me and starts to push the weight onto my left leg. I never think about dropping the club or transition. It just naturally happens.

Most mid to high handicap golfers I play with and myself struggle with too much backswing and it ruins many a shot. I won't debate it might not produce 10 more yards if the long swing made contact but I need to get my 8i on the green from 145 to score better not hit my 8i and extra 10 yards with lots of dispersion

When looking down during the swing your lead shoulder should cover your lead knee, not be above it (too flat) below it (too steep) or to the left (not enough turn), shoulders are now good. Sergio tip.

The butt of the handle should point at the target line behind the ball when half way back, then just keep turning to the top, arms are good, you're on plane.

Back