Steel or Graphite for Irons?

Steel or Graphite?

• Steel

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Graphite

Votes: 61 71.8%

• Total voters
I always used to play steel. Went to graphite on my last set and loved it, so stayed with graphite on the current set. As noted above, it's much easier on the arms and shoulders than steel, especially if you're a hack like me.

Graphite for me. Took sometime to get used to the lighter weight but helped get rid, for the most part, tennis elbow.

Graphite on thirteen clubs, and, currently, hickory on the putter.

Steel shafts = swollen hands on the back nine.

I prefer graphite but often companies don't offer much selection of graphite shafts so I go steel from time to time.

That's when I order graphite and then have them ship to a club builder to install my choice of graphite.

I play steel right now but picked graphite, to me it’s superior and the way to go, personally I’m just looking for the “right” setup….I need some fancy graphic shafts 🤣

Graphite. over my last 4 sets only 1 was steel and I sold those, just didn't like the feel.

I’m firmly in Camp Graphite.

They seem to be easier on my hands, wrists and elbows, I can get the exact specs I want, and I know it’s silly but I just think they look cool!

Interesting numbers here. I don't think we are representative of the general public I don't see even close to 50% of my club which is filled with serious golfers with graphite shafts in their irons.

In my most recent fitting I switched back from graphite (SF i95) to steel (Modus 120) because they performed better for me. I am interested to see how my hands and elbows hold up. I would be open to graphite if they performed as well or better than the M120.

i prefer graphite, but i play both

I typed a response and hit the post reply button but my post isn't here. I guess my response is bouncing around somewhere in the cyber universe.

Anyway, I voted graphite because it is easier on my body and I like my consistency with them.

I prefer graphite but often companies don't offer much selection of graphite shafts so I go steel from time to time.

To add, I've heard higher speed players like the heavier MMT shafts - keeps spin down like steel with the advantages of graphite.

I play MMT85 in another set and they are probably my favorite graphite shaft.

I voted graphite, easier on the body.

I have been playing steel for awhile now and the new set is going to be graphite. I really liked the feel and performance i got when getting fit so i went with it.

I went with steel because it was the best fitting shaft available for me to test in person. Read: no graphite options. I played graphite in one set and I really liked it, but I’m also more of an instant gratification shopper. I could easily go back to graphite. It was much easier on my elbows and wrists. I used to be a range rat and spent hours at the range pounding concrete. I don’t practice as much so I haven’t had to deal with the pain yet.

why did you choose or play one versus the other?

I am in MMT 105 TX graphite shafts. I switched from heavy DG X100's because of my elbows. I have a fast, aggressive tempo (it was even faster) and the weight of the shafts did a number on my elbows, especially off mats and off the hard fall/winter ground up here. I had tennis elbow in my right elbow and golfer's elbow in my left!

After reading about some tour pros switching to graphite and the benefits from weight reduction as well as stability and torque, I was all in. I just wanted to find a profile that was somewhat similar to the tapered steel shafts in terms of loading a flex. I opted for the MMT's which were similar in feel to me but much lighter and did fly higher (I have also slowed my tempo a bit).

I got fitted for my irons 2 years ago. I tried several shafts and ultimately went with graphite and I have been very happy with them.

always been steel for me but i think at my fitting i am going to give graphite a shot

To add, I've heard higher speed players like the heavier MMT shafts - keeps spin down like steel with the advantages of graphite.

I play MMT85 in another set and they are probably my favorite graphite shaft.
I play MMT 70 in my new hybrids. They are excellent shafts. I love the feel of them.

Graphite for the body, especially shoulders ... SteelFiber i95

I've always played steel. I like a heavy shaft, but honestly I have never hit a graphite iron before. Would be interesting to try.

Graphite in irons and wedges for the past 7+ years and never plan on going back to steel.

I am Bi... have Mizuno MP 20s both MB and MMC and MP-18 MMCs.. originally they were steel KBS tour - took the steel out thinking at 75 yr old graphite would do well so I went with Recoil 95s ,, wonderful feel and worked great. played them first part of 2021 then had a bad shot cost me 2 strokes and I blamed it on the graphite. -- ( I know it was me but needed a fall guy) so I took the graphite out of the MP-20 MMCs and went to KBS Tour 105 and now back in love with Steel. Bottom line here I think is if I were to blind fold anyone and gave them a 7 iron with the Recoil 95 and the KBS 105 - they could not tell the difference - both are great. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I played one season with graphite and I enjoyed them but went back to steel last year. I'm fine with either honestly..

Can I ask why the switch back? Was it price since you are fine with either or was it performance for you?

Interesting numbers here. I don't think we are representative of the general public I don't see even close to 50% of my club which is filled with serious golfers with graphite shafts in their irons.

In my most recent fitting, I switched back from graphite (SF i95) to steel (Modus 120) because they performed better for me. I am interested to see how my hands and elbows hold up. I would be open to graphite if they performed as well or better than the M120.

Why do you feel that more of your club has a preference for steel? Performance only

Graphite for me. I played steel for years and developed elbow issues, switched to graphite and those issues where almost none existent. Switched back to steel and issues came back. New irons have graphite and I won't go back to steel again.

Back