Steel or Graphite for Irons?

Steel or Graphite?

• Steel

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Graphite

Votes: 61 71.8%

• Total voters
I absolutely love my Accra i70 shafts in my Apex 21's! Graphite girl through and through!

Graphite. I may only be 30 but I had BAD elbow issues when I started playing a lot more and I had steel. Haven't had those issues since I switched to graphite. Won't ever go back

Can I ask why the switch back? Was it price since you are fine with either or was it performance for you?
I always like to try new stuff. I had no issue with the recoils I had but I’m not a this is my shaft forever type of guy

I like graphite. I got lucky with the catalysts in my irons and they seem to work for me. I'm starting to have issue with my elbows and wrists and graphite seems to help with that.

Why do you feel that more of your club has a preference for steel? Performance only

I don't think that most people have tried graphite. I am just relaying what I see and I don't think it is a financial decision. I would say that 80% of the club plays steel and I know of one of the better players in Steelfiber but most of the rest of the good players are in steel.

I use steel but I’d really like to switch the graphite if it’s a good fit. I’ve heard it offers a little more consistency for the average golfer so I’m definitely interested

I initially switched because of tennis elbow. My irons/wedges are also +2-inches, so the light weight graphite shaft brings my swing weight up a bit.

I first tried graphite thinking that it would help me hit the ball higher, and it was fine. I went back to steel for another 2 sets of irons, then I got tennis elbow. I went back to graphite at that point and I don't want to run the risk of steel again. I know there are inserts you can install to help with vibrations, but I'd rather not risk it.
This is pretty much my path to graphite, although I did try dampening inserts for a bit. No elbow pain at all with graphite, so there’s no chance of going back to steel.

This is pretty much my path to graphite, although I did try dampening inserts for a bit. No elbow pain at all with graphite, so there’s no chance of going back to steel.

When I hear that costs are a concern with graphite shafts, I think about how much pain I was in, and missing out on golf for a few months. Well worth the extra expense when I look at it that way.

Steel. It was what I fit into. I don't really care. Had I been fit into graphite I would have gone with that.

I switched this year from steel to graphite and will probably never go back.

I was fit at Taylor Made for my current irons. The difference in performance between the recoils I have and a lightweight steel shaft was non existent. It boiled down to my personal preference. I probably prefer the feel of steel shafts, I went for graphite because I’m not getting any younger and I do have a few aches and pains (again, for me, not sure graphite made a huge difference). It took a little adjustment. I feel the weight more in the head with steel, with my graphite shafts, the weight seems more evenly distributed throughout the club (which may be my imagination). Also, chipping green side took some getting used to, as there is nowhere near the feedback chipping with a graphite club as opposed to a steel. Now I’ve become comfortable and used to graphite I’ll almost certainly stick with it, but from my fitting experience, performance wise, one does not offer much, if any performance upgrade over the other.

First choice is graphite, but if I don't want to pay the upcharge or they don't have a weight/flex combo I like, then something like Elevate Tour with VSS is my next choice.

I have a set with recoils and a set with Nippon NSPros. I love them both so it's really hard for me to say one or the other.

Graphite b/c that’s what I’ve been fit into multiple times. Good dispersion and easy on the joints.

Right now I play steel in my irons, but have gone down the graphite route and actually prefer it. The misconception that they are for older guys is wrong…

…wait I am 46 lol.

Most common for me is steel, however, I do have graphite in my irons that I have been playing.

Hard to say what 2022 will bring, but I am ALL for making graphite a full time thing.

Steelfiber is my favorite but Recoil has worked for me too. I'll hit some steel shafted irons into the net from time to time (both sets with 6.0 Rifle shafts and Prosoft inserts, one's Flighted Rifle). They feel fine and certainly work for me but the feel of Steelfiber and graphite is superior, imo. Love it.

My current irons were built with graphite, but the order got messed up and they were built too short. I had them rebuilt with steel, but I can see myself switching to graphite within the next two years. Graphite has come a long way and can certainly offer more benefits than steel IMO.

Graphite
I am not getting any younger….. and the wrists and elbows are thanking me

I enjoyed playing steel shafts for many years but now for the last probably eight years have been in graphite with bad shoulder, elbows and fingers. Much easier on the body making golf as painless as possible. My first set of graphite irons were Aerotech Steelfibre then I played Recoils, Smacwrap‘s and now play MMT’s‘s that I love. Have ordered my new wedges with MMT SHAFTS in my new wedges.

I got graphite in everything except the putter now.

I saw this on twitter and I know many talk about the difference here, but why did you choose or play one versus the other?

Steel or Graphite, which do you use in your irons?
Graphite. Went against what two different fitters told me, took a chance with graphite and never looked back. (Fitters are not infallible and will not always help one's game, full stop.)

I'll note that once I get down to SW and LW, it seems a steel shaft is better. Not sure where the cutoff is. I don't normally swing take full swings with my wedges so I'm going to experiment between graphite and steel for my GW and possibly the PW this spring.

Graphite. I bought my first set of graphite shafted irons around 2006 and that’s all I consider now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back