Steel-or-graphite vs. swing speed

Barnum1

Reaction score
Handicap
My fitter recommended me steel shafts in my irons, because my swing speed was "fast enough".
His take was that it was better to get more control (from steel) as opposed to maybe gain a few mph (from graphite) - given that your speed is not too slow.
I have a pretty average swing speed (95 mph with driver). Not sure if there is an exact speed to switch at, but is his recommendation valid in general?

I know there are other arguments as well (vibration etc.), but it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on speed vs. material.

That is about my same swing speed and I don't use steel shafts even though my driver speed is about 96 mph. I have tried steel and too many things just don't fit my game and I would disagree there is more control with steel. I actually believe the graphite gives more control once you get used to it. I have graphite in everything but my putter. Golf is an individual thing though and what works for one may not work for the other.

What type of steel shafts did he recommend? I don't think control is really a you get it with steel and you give it up with graphite thing anymore. Plenty of very stiff and low torque graphite options out there now.

My fitter recommended me steel shafts in my irons, because my swing speed was "fast enough".
His take was that it was better to get more control (from steel) as opposed to maybe gain a few mph (from graphite) - given that your speed is not too slow.
I have a pretty average swing speed (95 mph with driver). Not sure if there is an exact speed to switch at, but is his recommendation valid in general?

I know there are other arguments as well (vibration etc.), but it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on speed vs. material.

Your fitter is wrong and living in the past.

There are graphite shafts out there that are just as accurate as steel, or should I say that there are steel shafts out there just as accurate as graphite? :unsure:

What type of steel shafts did he recommend? I don't think control is really a you get it with steel and you give it up with graphite thing anymore. Plenty of very stiff and low torque graphite options out there now.

Think it was Dynamic Gold 105 (haven't got the papers). I believe it was a lighter steel shaft.

EDIT: Regular flex.

I have similar specs although in intensive program to try to gain speed. Things have converged on this as someone who used to build clubs as steel now offered substantially lighter in some shafts while graphite in irons being offered in many more designs many of which are similar to lighter steel. The big advantages for graphite for me is at 63 is: 1. More shock absorber qualities although there are workarounds with steel such as what Ping did with cushin inserts; 2) it is usually still lighter than steel, and I have shortish arms and swing better with an inch long club and that kind of balances overall weight things (but again good filters can work around this) 3) and last but least important is the looks - I got fitted into some 60 gram Acccra shafts and they are superb in all categories and gave a great dispersion pattern in testing and offered same price by PXG - some upgrade shafts in graphite can be pretty steep in price as well.

That being said if a competent fitter thought steel best option and clubs were a good feel and design I would not be adverse to a lightweight steel at all.

Enjoy new clubs!

I have similar specs although in intensive program to try to gain speed. Things have converged on this as someone who used to build clubs as steel now offered substantially lighter in some shafts while graphite in irons being offered in many more designs many of which are similar to lighter steel. The big advantages for graphite for me is at 63 is: 1. More shock absorber qualities although there are workarounds with steel such as what Ping did with cushin inserts; 2) it is usually still lighter than steel, and I have shortish arms and swing better with an inch long club and that kind of balances overall weight things (but again good filters can work around this) 3) and last but least important is the looks - I got fitted into some 60 gram Acccra shafts and they are superb in all categories and gave a great dispersion pattern in testing and offered same price by PXG - some upgrade shafts in graphite can be pretty steep in price as well.

That being said if a competent fitter thought steel best option and clubs were a good feel and design I would not be adverse to a lightweight steel at all.

Enjoy new clubs!

Thanks! I haven't pulled the trigger yet, will be waiting until next season to do one more fitting and decide.

While I'm certainly not an expert by a long shot, if you're planning on another fitting prior to making a purchase, I'd find another fitter. Not that this guy doesn't have some valid information for you, he seems to have some misconceptions. By going to another fitter, you'll either confirm the first results, or you'll get someone that has a more current approach to fitting shafts.

I'm clearly biased towards graphite, but it's just not for everyone. If you're open to either option, and fitters properly fit you into steel, great, go for it, but I'd hate for you to make a purchase one way or another based on a sub-par fitting.

I'd agree that this view of control is a thing of the past. My swing is similar to yours and I've been using a KBS steel shaft similar in weight to the DG recommended and they have been super good for me. The reason I will go graphite next time around is to reduce the shock on my arms. With Covid, I hit roughly 75 balls about every day on average in the past 8 months and I'm at the age where repetitive motions start to take a toll.

While I'm certainly not an expert by a long shot, if you're planning on another fitting prior to making a purchase, I'd find another fitter. Not that this guy doesn't have some valid information for you, he seems to have some misconceptions. By going to another fitter, you'll either confirm the first results, or you'll get someone that has a more current approach to fitting shafts.

I'm clearly biased towards graphite, but it's just not for everyone. If you're open to either option, and fitters properly fit you into steel, great, go for it, but I'd hate for you to make a purchase one way or another based on a sub-par fitting.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I rely on the fitter and he has no problem to go for my preferences.

I'd agree that this view of control is a thing of the past. My swing is similar to yours and I've been using a KBS steel shaft similar in weight to the DG recommended and they have been super good for me. The reason I will go graphite next time around is to reduce the shock on my arms. With Covid, I hit roughly 75 balls about every day on average in the past 8 months and I'm at the age where repetitive motions start to take a toll.

Yes, vibration is a valid point. I'm pushing 60 :oops: so I'm also thinking about that.

75 balls a day, wow! I wish I did that.

Yes, vibration is a valid point. I'm pushing 60 :oops: so I'm also thinking about that.

75 balls a day, wow! I wish I did that.

Most of my friends are all older, (50-80) and some of them have switched to graphite irons for the sole reason that they are much easier on the elbows and hands in colder weather. They play everyday no matter what temperature is.

I am 39 and I switched from steel shafts to graphite shafts (KBS TGI 95) and I love them. I got the Cobra Forged Tec Irons earlier this year and I was just curious about graphite. So I compared them to steel during my Iron fitting and the results were more or less the same to steel (in regards of pure numbers). But for me the feel was much better. Hard to describe but it feels "smooth" during the swing and if you hit it bad into the ground it is definitely a nicer feeling than with steel. :)
My driver swing speed is about 102 mph, 7 iron about 90.

Last edited:
There are scant few OEM stock graphite shaft options for higher swing speeds, and that means most fitters just don’t have options in their fitting carts. Until that changes, many of us are going to keep hearing the same old line that graphite is for slower swing speeds. That of course isn’t true anymore but few fitters are going to go out on a limb for a shaft they can’t test with a golfer.

There are scant few OEM stock graphite shaft options for higher swing speeds, and that means most fitters just don’t have options in their fitting carts. Until that changes, many of us are going to keep hearing the same old line that graphite is for slower swing speeds. That of course isn’t true anymore but few fitters are going to go out on a limb for a shaft they can’t test with a golfer.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Now, I don't have a high swing speed, so I wouldn't know :)

But when it comes to driver (and fariway woods), there must be a bigger choice of graphite shafts for higher swing speeds.

The answer is easy. Test/hit what your fitter has and go with the one that offers what you feel is the best combination of distance and accuracy, whether that be steel or graphite.

I tried graphite and hated it, but I’m not you and peoples opinions should only be a starting point in a decision like this (and should carry very little weight).

Anybody else remember Titanium as shafts? For limited while a lot of excitement and I used to play with club pro who loved them. Then there were the combo shafts part steel and part graphite . The ultimate shaft will come along and will be likely graphite mixed with something else. Key with graphite is that it is variable try more than one brand or type. Golfworks gives a good description of various shafts IMO.

While stock options may have limits, there are no shortage of graphite options for iron shafts in the aftermarket. I have a pretty high SS and the UST Mamiya Recoil 125 in F5 handles my SS with 0 issue and feels incredible.

UST is a real leader in the graphite shafts IMO. They look and feel great! I haven’t quite made the switch yet to graphite but it’s coming. My golfers elbow is getting more pronounced and it’s interfering with my workouts now

Getting fitted for irons tomorrow (first time ever). Have always played steel shafts in irons and currently play TTDG 105 in stiff flex. Really can’t wait to see what pops up as the best fit. Buddy of mine just got fit and was put in Recoil shafts and he loves them.

Your fitter is using old school language which may indicate he’s stuck in outdated thinking. Swing speed doesn’t correlate to needing steel or graphite; graphite has advanced enough that there are products for everyone. On the other hand I am not sure if graphite can be acquired in different weights and it’s true that some people prefer heavier for more control.

That is about my same swing speed and I don't use steel shafts even though my driver speed is about 96 mph. I have tried steel and too many things just don't fit my game and I would disagree there is more control with steel. I actually believe the graphite gives more control once you get used to it. I have graphite in everything but my putter. Golf is an individual thing though and what works for one may not work for the other.
Historically the speed of graphite vs control of steel has been the guiding fitting premise baring other physical issues. I have only owned one set of graphite shafted irons (Apex 14 with 95 recoils) out of 50 sets since 1975. Took medical from club last season thus only played a couple partial rounds with wife plus range time but needing my 2nd hip replacement I bit at the deal on PXG 0211 with MMT 80 graphite. Although much lighter than steel which usually doesn't appeal to me the control wasn't an issue. Having worked out 5-7 days a week religiously for 50+ years I was also was fitted for PX LZ 5.5 steel early last spring before my golf was shut down.
Bottomline for me is some of the graphite iron shafts out today ,although more costly.aren't your "grandfather's old man shafts" and trying them out isn't a bad idea,

My driver swing speed is 94. I was fit into my irons by Taylor Made. I was fit into graphite shafts. I think for most now, graphite vs steel is a personal feel decision rather than distance vs accuracy.

Composite shafts are the future. Swing speed is largely irrelevant. There is a reason that the pga tour player that swings the hardest and cares only about performance plays graphite..

Back