Steel-or-graphite vs. swing speed

Personally, I wouldn't use a fitter that based such an important decision as which shaft to go with, on outdated generalities such as graphite is for lower swing speeds and steel provides more control. He might put you into steel shafts that really work for you, but you aren't getting a comprehensive fitting when excluding graphite in that way.

Last edited:
Historically the speed of graphite vs control of steel has been the guiding fitting premise baring other physical issues. I have only owned one set of graphite shafted irons (Apex 14 with 95 recoils) out of 50 sets since 1975. Took medical from club last season thus only played a couple partial rounds with wife plus range time but needing my 2nd hip replacement I bit at the deal on PXG 0211 with MMT 80 graphite. Although much lighter than steel which usually doesn't appeal to me the control wasn't an issue. Having worked out 5-7 days a week religiously for 50+ years I was also was fitted for PX LZ 5.5 steel early last spring before my golf was shut down.
Bottomline for me is some of the graphite iron shafts out today ,although more costly.aren't your "grandfather's old man shafts" and trying them out isn't a bad idea,

My clubs also 0211s with Accra shafts and PXG fitting was very good and only $50. If you can get one of their discounts- I do as a Veteran -hard to beat IMOs. My shafts have tight dispersion and clubs are much longer previous - which were older forged head and older graphite.

I had a set of Tight Lies GT Ultimate irons with graphite tipped steel shafts given to me by a friend a few years before I quit the game.

They were the best heads that I ever swung, but I let them go because they had a weird hosel bore and I didn't trust using shims.

I still kick myself for letting them go.

My driver SS is over 100mph. Not sure exactly what it is but somewhere between 101 and 105 would probably be a good average. I have been playing graphite shafts for 3 years. I don’t think speed really has that much to do with it. For me, I have very small wrists and they get mild sprains easily. The graphite is just much more forgiving when I do stupid stuff and have mishits.

There is no speed at which graphite is "bad" or "good". It's about how easy it is to manipulate and create specifically designed graphite shafts versus steel. There are PGA players playing graphite irons shafts, one of the most noticeable is Abraham Ancer who plays Mitsubishi MMTs. From what you wrote in your first post it seems the fitter was using big box store language that they read or heard someone else say. Thats an answer you typically received 15 years ago when graphite wasn't as stable as it is now.

With irons, it's not so much about materials as it is about what we need the club/ball to do. However, there does come a point where what we need the club/ball to do is best achieved by using graphite. Graphite is incredibly well made these days and the companies are only getting better at using materials and creating really good products.

When I was fit for mine the fitter said either will work, but in 5 years I'd prefer the graphite at 73.
One item not mentioned in the thread was the fitter's view of the swing consistency - fit for the best swings, or try to make the average better?

I have never been fit but was playing stiff nippon 105s just because that’s what was in the used set I bought. I developed some serious golfers elbow and just had a used set of extra stiff mmt 110 graphite shafts put in the same irons. Not only is it helping my golfers elbow I have way more control then I did with the weaker steel shafts. My driver swing is somewhere between 110-120 and I have no control problems with graphite.

Went in for a fitting 2 years ago. Best dispersion of the irons I hit were a set of Ping i210’s with Alta graphite shaft. I quickly dismissed it though when I hit the g700 10 yds further with a 105g steel shaft. Kinda regret it as I moved on from the g700’s. But the distance bug got me that day.

Graphite shafts are definitely the future of the game. As younger players move into them and continue playing them, they will become more prevalent on Tour. As more players on Tour play them, OEMs will have to offer them since tour use/validation is such a large part of marketing. I came very close to going with KBS TGI 110 in my irons but the Accra 115 steel shafts just beat them out.

Graphite only used to be available in lighter weights. The only difference now is feel, unless you prefer 125g+.

The best way to determine what is best for you is to take a graphite and a steel shaft club which are the same except for the shaft out to the range or better still play a round then decide.

Back