Steel shaft on driver cured my driving woes

Smurf1000

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello everyone. I'm a newbie here, but just felt I had to share this.

I'm about an 18 handicap, whose been playing golf since my father taught me to play in the 70's.

I grew up on persimmon, just like most folks my age, and transitioned to medal woods as they became available. My favorite driver was the original Taylor Made "Pittsburgh Persimmon" with a steel shaft.

THE PROBLEM

In later years I transitioned to the modern drivers with over-sized heads and graphite shafts. That is when my driver woes started..... While I hit some really amazing drives with these drivers, my control completely left me. In the 15 years of trying to use these drivers I could never hit them consistently.

When I miss with today's drivers I "really" miss. My typical miss was a block right that went about 40 degrees right of target and usually ended up OB. You just can't aim far enough left to compensate for how far right I would hit it. If that wasn't bad enough, I would also occasional hook or pull way left. Some days on the driving range I would only hit drives way left or way right.

The rest of my game is fairly solid (for an 18 handicap) and I always felt I could drop my handicap by at least 5 if I could just get off the tee consistently.

The best phrase to describe how I drive the ball is "one fairway and two houses". On any given round, I could hit as many as 6 drives completely out of play.

The problem is I just couldn't "feel" the club at the bottom of the swing with my driver like I can with the rest of the clubs in my bag.

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS

I tried adding lead tape, but found that this produced little change.

I tried a shorter shaft (43") , which helped a little, especially as I am so short (5" 3"), but it did not cure my issues by any stretch.

Callaway 3-Deep

The closest I came to a solution was the Callaway 3-deep that Phil Mickelson used to win the British open. I got the idea from a golf pro when I explained how I liked the old Taylor Made driver and asked if there were any heavier drivers today. He said that there were not, but he suggested I try the 3 deep. The club felt very good and hit a little further than other 3 woods I had, so I began using it as my driver, even though I gave up 15-20 yards compared to my buddies. I was pretty happy with this as I kept most of my tee shots in play.

STEEL SHAFT...

Then one day a friend, while talking about my driving woes and the lack of "feel" with the driver suggested I put a steel shaft in it. To be honest, this thought never occurred to me. From that conversation I did some research and found that Tiger Woods used a steel shaft in his driver in the early part of his career and won several majors while doing so. I also learned that several pro's have gone to heavier shafts (100g or more) including Sergio Garcia. I found that my shaft was 60g, and learned that steel is typically 120g.

Since my driver was collecting dust and since steel shafts were only about $20, I decided to give it a shot.

I picked up the driver from the pro shop and the instant I held it in my hands and waggled it, I "knew" that this was the missing piece. The club "felt" just like my old persimmon and Taylor Made clubs when I waggled it.

I took it out to the range and the very first drive went right down the middle as did many of the next several.

The first time I took it out to the course, I hit several drives, not just in play, but "exactly" where I was aiming them, something I had not done for 15 -20 years. In the old days I used to aim at a bunker or a tree (or the left side of the fairway) and fade the ball off of it. Now suddenly I was able to do that again. I still missed a couple (I "am" an 18 handicap), but I kept so many more tees shot in play, and many were right down the middle. On that first round I broke 90 on a long and narrow course where I "never" break 90.

DISTANCE

I was concerned I would lose distance, but when hitting with the same guys I've been playing with for years, my drives were side by side with them. I'm sure I'm giving up some distance, but not so much that I'm concerned. I got back the 15-20 yards I gave up when using the Callaway 3-deep.

But.. even if I'm giving up a little distance, the fact that I'm putting more tees shots in play more than makes up for it in my book.

SUMMARY

I've only had the steel shaft for a short while, but can't believe the night and day difference it made in regards to "feel". For me, the driver always felt different in my hands than all other clubs, including the 3 wood. Now with the steel shaft, the drivers feels the same in my hands as my other clubs.

Getting feel back into my driver has made golf more fun to play and now I can't wait to get back on the course. I'm looking forward to see if my handicap lowers over the coming months.

ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE EVER TRIED THIS?

In my research I did not find too many guys who have tried this. Just an occasional outlier.

So the Question is.... Any other folks out there tried using a steel (or heavier) shaft to improve control for their driver

Let me know if anyone else out there has considered or tried this.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
I haven't had a steel shaft in a driver in years, but I do seem to do better with a heavier, stiffer, shaft in my driver for the same reasons you stated above. Maybe it has something to with torque? I have also been messing around with an old Titleist 980 3w that has a steel shaft, and I seem to hit nothing but solid shots with that. It's not far behind my current 915f 3w either.

I haven't tried a steel shafted driver but I do still have one of the Big Bertha's 10 degree Warbirds with memphis 10 shaft in it. The old wood woods rocked! I loved them, the sound they made and the distance!

For me it took me a very long time to give into the big headed drivers. I eventually went from the wood woods to the stainless ones in the same size and loved them too. I could hit them a ton including using the driver off the deck on long par 5's cause the head size was so small. LOL Alot of buddies were getting into the stainless heads and bigger size ones like the Warbirds but I stayed with the small ones for as long as I could til my set came up missing and I was forced to replace clubs and by then no small ones were around being sold and used ones were very beat up so no choice.

It took me quite a while to switch metal woods as well. The first few "oversized" drivers I tried were terrible, and led to mostly push fades. I didn't really find one I liked until the 905s.

I have mostly played Graphite since i was a teen(i think my first set might have had steel shafts) so i have no frame of reference but i would think the same thing could have been done with a heavy graphite shaft

I think the one thing about my swing is that it is an unusually quick swing. folks have tried to slow down my swing, but that is what works for me.

i think the combination of an extremely quick swing and the light shafts may have made it difficult to time my swing with the driver.

i suspect the heavier shaft helped to slow it down a little and give me a little better timing at the bottom of the swing.

What I did was put a steel shaft on a modern oversized driver head.

I play a steel shafted 3 wood. And I've considered playing a steel shaft driver. Might be an experiment I try.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I have mostly played Graphite since i was a teen(i think my first set might have had steel shafts) so i have no frame of reference but i would think the same thing could have been done with a heavy graphite shaft

I probably could have, but why pay a ton of money for a heavy graphite shaft instead of paying $20 for steel on what was basically an experiment.

Here is a shot I took this evening with the 980f 3w, S300 shaft. The distance it shows isn't real since it's a sim, but the ball speeds are pretty accurate.

5615943964968fcdfd7a2f0b03e1ae82.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Glad you found something that works for you

When I was in high school back in the mid/late 90s, I had a terrible time hitting driver off the tee. 3w was fine, so I normally played that. I tried multiple drivers, Founders Club, every Callaway (from the Warbird to the Biggest Big Bertha), several Taylormade Burners (the orange ones) and couldn't find much consistency. Finally I took a cue from Tiger and bought a Cobra Deep Face driver with a DG S300 in it. Immediate difference. Hit fairways without thinking. Drove it as long as I thought I should. I could work the ball in both directions. Since then, I've played heavier shafts in my driver and have had pretty good luck with it. If I had real troubles that I couldn't cure, I'd go back to it.

Here is a shot I took this evening with the 980f 3w, S300 shaft. The distance it shows isn't real since it's a sim, but the ball speeds are pretty accurate.
You sure? That's a smash factor of 1.75.

You sure? That's a smash factor of 1.75.

That's why I said the only real number on that sim in my experience is the ball speed. haha
I haven't figured out exactly what is being measured and what is being calculated, but it seems like it only actually measures bs and la, the rest is calculated somehow. The carry distance is off by 20 yds.

That's why I said the only real number on that sim in my experience is the ball speed. haha
I haven't figured out exactly what is being measured and what is being calculated, but it seems like it only actually measures bs and la, the rest is calculated somehow. The carry distance is off by 20 yds.
Okay - for some reason I thought you were saying ball and club speed were accurate.

Okay - for some reason I thought you were saying ball and club speed were accurate.

The club speed numbers it spits out are really random, usually low, with a ridiculous (impossible) smash. I pay no attention those.

Haha, yeah that is right! I remember that most of the ones I tried out kinda sucked too! LOL If I remember right, I think I ended up with a PowerBilt driver with a steel shaft that was pretty big back then.

I forgot to mention but it was also a problem with me wanting to hit a driver with a graphite shaft in it! So I went with the bigger stainless head eventually but still had the steel shafts in them til somewhere around the time when Taylormade came out with their graphite bubble shaft driver. :)

I had the Taylor Made Burner Bubble as well.

I think that is when my driver consistency problems really started. I can remember going to the 3 wood on bad days even back then.

Yes, played around with a DG 300 steel shaft in a Cleveland 290 head a few seasons back and it helped my tempo & impact a great deal. Long, low bullets that rolled out forever.
I think I loaned it to one of my neighbors but I don't believe the bastard ever gave it back!
Thanks for the post, time to make a call...

Old thread but new perspective for me. Like the OP, I had trouble over the years since switching to graphite driver shafts; I hook like crazy unless I Mickey Mouse my grip and force a swing that can avoid the “lefts”. Fast forward to last November when I put a tipped steel shaft in a Ping G30 and proceeded to hit every fairway! The feel of this 43.5” driver is amazing and that feel that I had been missing had returned - I knew where the club head was throughout the entire swing but never had to think about it. I couldn't judge distance due to soft fairways, but I seemed to hit second shots from points closer to the greens. The adjustable drivers make shaft experiments easy, so now I need to find comparable 3 wood and throw a steel shaft into that. I don’t believe it’s the weight alone but also torque and stability. Graphite shafts just seem to be all over the place to me, whereas with steel it’s just take it away and let it go. And it goes...

I'm giving this a shot!

I'm giving this a shot!

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie here, but just felt I had to share this.

I'm about an 18 handicap, whose been playing golf since my father taught me to play in the 70's.

I grew up on persimmon, just like most folks my age, and transitioned to medal woods as they became available. My favorite driver was the original Taylor Made "Pittsburgh Persimmon" with a steel shaft.

THE PROBLEM

In later years I transitioned to the modern drivers with over-sized heads and graphite shafts. That is when my driver woes started..... While I hit some really amazing drives with these drivers, my control completely left me. In the 15 years of trying to use these drivers I could never hit them consistently.

When I miss with today's drivers I "really" miss. My typical miss was a block right that went about 40 degrees right of target and usually ended up OB. You just can't aim far enough left to compensate for how far right I would hit it. If that wasn't bad enough, I would also occasional hook or pull way left. Some days on the driving range I would only hit drives way left or way right.

The rest of my game is fairly solid (for an 18 handicap) and I always felt I could drop my handicap by at least 5 if I could just get off the tee consistently.

The best phrase to describe how I drive the ball is "one fairway and two houses". On any given round, I could hit as many as 6 drives completely out of play.

The problem is I just couldn't "feel" the club at the bottom of the swing with my driver like I can with the rest of the clubs in my bag.

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS

I tried adding lead tape, but found that this produced little change.

I tried a shorter shaft (43") , which helped a little, especially as I am so short (5" 3"), but it did not cure my issues by any stretch.

Callaway 3-Deep

The closest I came to a solution was the Callaway 3-deep that Phil Mickelson used to win the British open. I got the idea from a golf pro when I explained how I liked the old Taylor Made driver and asked if there were any heavier drivers today. He said that there were not, but he suggested I try the 3 deep. The club felt very good and hit a little further than other 3 woods I had, so I began using it as my driver, even though I gave up 15-20 yards compared to my buddies. I was pretty happy with this as I kept most of my tee shots in play.

STEEL SHAFT...

Then one day a friend, while talking about my driving woes and the lack of "feel" with the driver suggested I put a steel shaft in it. To be honest, this thought never occurred to me. From that conversation I did some research and found that Tiger Woods used a steel shaft in his driver in the early part of his career and won several majors while doing so. I also learned that several pro's have gone to heavier shafts (100g or more) including Sergio Garcia. I found that my shaft was 60g, and learned that steel is typically 120g.

Since my driver was collecting dust and since steel shafts were only about $20, I decided to give it a shot.

I picked up the driver from the pro shop and the instant I held it in my hands and waggled it, I "knew" that this was the missing piece. The club "felt" just like my old persimmon and Taylor Made clubs when I waggled it.

I took it out to the range and the very first drive went right down the middle as did many of the next several.

The first time I took it out to the course, I hit several drives, not just in play, but "exactly" where I was aiming them, something I had not done for 15 -20 years. In the old days I used to aim at a bunker or a tree (or the left side of the fairway) and fade the ball off of it. Now suddenly I was able to do that again. I still missed a couple (I "am" an 18 handicap), but I kept so many more tees shot in play, and many were right down the middle. On that first round I broke 90 on a long and narrow course where I "never" break 90.

DISTANCE

I was concerned I would lose distance, but when hitting with the same guys I've been playing with for years, my drives were side by side with them. I'm sure I'm giving up some distance, but not so much that I'm concerned. I got back the 15-20 yards I gave up when using the Callaway 3-deep.

But.. even if I'm giving up a little distance, the fact that I'm putting more tees shots in play more than makes up for it in my book.

SUMMARY

I've only had the steel shaft for a short while, but can't believe the night and day difference it made in regards to "feel". For me, the driver always felt different in my hands than all other clubs, including the 3 wood. Now with the steel shaft, the drivers feels the same in my hands as my other clubs.

Getting feel back into my driver has made golf more fun to play and now I can't wait to get back on the course. I'm looking forward to see if my handicap lowers over the coming months.

ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE EVER TRIED THIS?

In my research I did not find too many guys who have tried this. Just an occasional outlier.

So the Question is.... Any other folks out there tried using a steel (or heavier) shaft to improve control for their driver

Let me know if anyone else out there has considered or tried this.

Thanks!!!

I've decided to try this in my 2017 m1 driver. It currently has a 60 gram graphite shaft s flex and it varies for me. I nailed one 302 yards downwind 8 mph on a day where my swing felt smooth,but I lift weights and my clubhead speed is about 108 mph but it's an aggressive swing sometimes. Today I went to the gym for 40 minutes before they closed then drove 3 miles to the Golf Galaxy to test my driver,get some numbers an see whats what. I got 258 carry at best 3,400 spin being all jacked up made it kinda tough my swing felt coiled and the club felt really light,even some of the other ones to light. What i'm going to do is buy an adapter tip,a steel x-100 shaft at 44 inches and see what happens on neutral 9.5 settings. I'm also going to but some aftermarket 11 gram weights 2 in total and place one all the way forward and one all the way back,the use a 2 gram in the middle. I want a heavy head,heavy shaft that performs like a beast at 105-110 mph. I don't believe I can swing it faster than this but it should be a bullet club with some smash to it!! Of course the accuracy will be there as well and if i'm tired one day and it's not windy or hot then I may switch back to the light stick easy to do just click it.

Back