Steel shafts to graphite?

blackjack

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.0
I bought some Burner 2.0's about 6 months ago as my first real iron purchase in years. Always played dad hand me downs for the past 5 years and a set of King Cobras for 15 years prior to the hand me downs. Anyways, I got steel shafts in the Burners. They were cheaper but the pro said that with my swing speed(around 105 with a driver) they would be fine. I am now second guessing as I just don't feel comfortable with them anymore. All previous irons i have had graphite. On the flip side, I have shot my lowest round ever with these clubs.

How do I go about testing graphite shafts? Different weights, flexes, etc? I see many posts about this shaft or that shaft but how do you find that shaft that you like and how do you test it?

what do others play in their irons? Do I need graphite?

Thanks all.

I'm sure others will have better info for you, but I'd say hit up a Mizuno shaft optimizer if possible.

Graphite iron shafts are a bit tougher to test out as you just don't find a ton locally to hit. IMO you can hit iron shafts to find out a basic profile that you like. A good fitter would be able to suggest a comparable graphite option

I would go with your comfort level which IMO would produce more consistent golf. Plus if you have any joint issues the graphite might be of benefit. I too have thought of going with graphite next time around.

If you have a golf store around you (golf galaxy, golfsmith) go there. They have at least one model from most brands that have graphite shafts for their irons, and they also have multiple fitting carts where they can switch out shafts. Go with whatever is more comfortable

blackjack, you have a great fitter right there in Woodstock at Cherokee Golf (I-575 & 92). Golf Digest puts him in the top 100. He's The Golf Doctor. Link to website is below. If you can afford the fitting, he's worth it.

http://www.golfdoctor.com/

Played graphite for 15 years and loved them. Was fitted last year to a new set of Callaways and tested several steel shafts. Decided on staying with graphite until the fitter suggested I try the TT GS-95 shaft. I found this steel shaft to be much nicer than the graphite and now 8 months later have never looked back, love them. Fitting is your best bet, you will also get your lie correct at the same time. Good luck.

I am now second guessing as I just don't feel comfortable with them anymore. All previous irons i have had graphite. On the flip side, I have shot my lowest round ever with these clubs.

How do I go about testing graphite shafts? Different weights, flexes, etc? I see many posts about this shaft or that shaft but how do you find that shaft that you like and how do you test it?

what do others play in their irons? Do I need graphite?

I suppose the most obvious ? is why are you second guessing yourself? What is your current setup doing (or not doing) that merits a change? Where is the discomfort coming from?

The answer to testing is a club fitting. Big box, specialty store or wherever you choose will have acces to multiple shafts and heads. The gentleman who recommended the Mizuno shaft optimizer was SPOT-ON. Mizuno knows irons. The optimizer will recommend shafts based on your entire swing not just speed and give you the top ones that fit YOUR specific swing characteristics. Highly recommend this...

As to what others play, what does it matter? It's about what works for you. To answer your question, look at tour players and I think you'll find the answer to what most play (steel vs graphite).

in line with everyone else - go have some fun at a fitting! Try multiple setups...either you will find a perfect setup for you, or at the worst, you will have strong understanding of what works best for you.

I suppose the most obvious ? is why are you second guessing yourself? What is your current setup doing (or not doing) that merits a change? Where is the discomfort coming from?

The answer to testing is a club fitting. Big box, specialty store or wherever you choose will have acces to multiple shafts and heads. The gentleman who recommended the Mizuno shaft optimizer was SPOT-ON. Mizuno knows irons. The optimizer will recommend shafts based on your entire swing not just speed and give you the top ones that fit YOUR specific swing characteristics. Highly recommend this...

As to what others play, what does it matter? It's about what works for you. To answer your question, look at tour players and I think you'll find the answer to what most play (steel vs graphite).

the discomfort is coming from the swing and may have everything to do with me just reverting back to what used to be comfortable (old clubs) even though the same swing is probably there.

i am just curious as to what others play as I have never taken notice. If the majority play a certain shaft, steel or graphite, then that would be a good starting point but not necessarily the ending point. I am not a tour player so don't care what they play but rather what the everyday public links player plays. Again, curious.. In the end I just need to go try some different shafts and it sounds like mizuno would be the best testing option.

I play graphite in my irons and I love them

blackjack, you have a great fitter right there in Woodstock at Cherokee Golf (I-575 & 92). Golf Digest puts him in the top 100. He's The Golf Doctor. Link to website is below. If you can afford the fitting, he's worth it.

http://www.golfdoctor.com/

Know the place but always thought it was just a small range and short 9 hole. Now I know why they have the range and course. Thanks!

the discomfort is coming from the swing and may have everything to do with me just reverting back to what used to be comfortable (old clubs) even though the same swing is probably there.

i am just curious as to what others play as I have never taken notice. If the majority play a certain shaft, steel or graphite, then that would be a good starting point but not necessarily the ending point. I am not a tour player so don't care what they play but rather what the everyday public links player plays. Again, curious.. In the end I just need to go try some different shafts and it sounds like mizuno would be the best testing option.

The discomfort is coming from the swing? I'm going to assume because the steel shafts are heavier. Graphite shafts are lighter and would cause the swing weight of an iron to be heavier and the total weight to be lighter (most of the time). In other words, the head of the club will feel heavier during the swing with a graphite shaft than it would with a steel shaft (most of the time). I think your muscle memory "may" be more accustom to the swing weight characteristics of a graphite shafted iron feeling more "head-heavy". The only way you're going to be able to tell for sure is to go and test the iron you have in graphite and see if it feels more appropriate to you.

As to what others play, I play steel. My guess on the ratio of steel vs graphite would be 80% steel to 20% graphite (just a guess). You may want to start a new thread with a poll and let the community vote on what they play. It'll probably be faster and easier that way.

The discomfort is coming from the swing? I'm going to assume because the steel shafts are heavier. Graphite shafts are lighter and would cause the swing weight of an iron to be heavier and the total weight to be lighter (most of the time). In other words, the head of the club will feel heavier during the swing with a graphite shaft than it would with a steel shaft (most of the time). I think your muscle memory "may" be more accustom to the swing weight characteristics of a graphite shafted iron feeling more "head-heavy". The only way you're going to be able to tell for sure is to go and test the iron you have in graphite and see if it feels more appropriate to you.

As to what others play, I play steel. My guess on the ratio of steel vs graphite would be 80% steel to 20% graphite (just a guess). You may want to start a new thread with a poll and let the community vote on what they play. It'll probably be faster and easier that way.

Thanks for your feedback and knowledge. It is appreciated.

Back