Steelfiber i95 R compared to Alta CB Slate R

Barnum1

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi,

I can buy a few HMP irons (8i to PW) with Steelfiber i95 Regular for a great price.
I am now playing G425s in Alta CB Slate Regular, and I am wondering what the big difference would be for me?
The Alta CBs are 72g, so the weight is different of course.
As are the heads, but it would be fun to try the HMPs to that price, unless the shaft weight will be too much for me.

(I have a medium swing speed and a typical sweeper. Playing off 9.6 at 60 years FWIW.)

Thanks for any insight!

Those SteelFiber will likely play a bit stiffer than the Alta.

The i95's are great shafts, and do play a bit stiffer.
Also the balance point will be different since the Alta shaft is counter balanced.

Another thing to consider with the Steelfiber is if they are the Constant Weight shafts. If not, each shaft will weigh slightly different depending on length, if you are sensitive to weight.

Another thing to consider with the Steelfiber is if they are the Constant Weight shafts. If not, each shaft will weigh slightly different depending on length, if you are sensitive to weight.
Not always.
They come in taper .335(CW) and Parallel .370.
I'd call Mizuno and ask which they use, if those are a factory build.
Ask whoever is selling.

Steel fiber are going to feel stiffer.

The i95r plays very close to a stiff in most other graphite brands IMO.
I was very close to ordering my 243's in Steelfiber i95 R but the ball flight got a little too high for my liking.

Well, I got them and tried them on the range.
Maybe a tad stiffer, but not a lot.
I did get more baby-pulls and -pushes, so the timing is a bit off (which is no surprise).
And the HMPs sound and feel much better than my G425s. We will see which clubs will be my gamers this season.

And the HMPs will have a lot less offset than the 425s.

That is true. And a smaller blade, at least that's how it looks to me. Remains to see how they work on course 😊

Back