Stenosing Tenosynovitis

WLG1952

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
Stenosing Tenosynovitis. AKA "Trigger Finger". Anyone dealing with this?

Apparently I am developing it, or have in my ring fingers on both hands. Had a family doctor (literally) look at it today while it happened.

Once this quarantine thing lifts, I will get the straight skinny on it with a real office visit. .

Not a big deal right now. Just kind of an annoyance. When the finger locks, curled down, I just pop it back staight.

Hasn't effected my golf grip as yet....lol

Stenosing Tenosynovitis. AKA "Trigger Finger". Anyone dealing with this?

Apparently I am developing it, or have in my ring fingers on both hands. Had a family doctor (literally) look at it today while it happened.

Once this quarantine thing lifts, I will get the straight skinny on it with a real office visit. .

Not a big deal right now. Just kind of an annoyance. When the finger locks, curled down, I just pop it back staight.

Hasn't effected my golf grip as yet....lol
If you get it looked at sooner than later a simple injection typically will take care of it. Otherwise if you wait too long you may be looking at minor surgery to release the sheath from the tendon.

If you get it looked at sooner than later a simple injection typically will take care of it. Otherwise if you wait too long you may be looking at minor surgery to release the sheath from the tendon.
Thanks for the advice. Although retired, the doc says she can get, and give me the shot. She still keeps her license in force.

All rhe doctor's office are pretty much shut down around here. I called the VA hospital, and they don't deem it serious enough to have me come in for treatment.

We'll handle it in house for now.

It just showed up a week or so ago. Thought it was just a muscle cramp of sorts. I have been hitting alot of golf balls lately.

I haven’t, but had a coworker with this. He waited and had surgery... he said that it wasn’t too bad, but remembering to put the braces back on while healing was annoying. He also said that he wished that he didn’t wait so long to have the surgery... YMMV of course.

Oh man! Hope you're able to overcome it with minimal issue!

I have it in multiple fingers, have done cortisone shots multiple times. Finally had the release done on one finger last year and may still end up doing the other three. Was a quick procedure and I was back chipping and putting after a few weeks.

Is there any kind of physical therapy to put off surgery for longer?

Is there any kind of physical therapy to put off surgery for longer?
Generally speaking, PT doesn’t doesn’t really do much of anything to help trigger finger. Applying heat may help a little but that’s really it.

I have it in multiple fingers, have done cortisone shots multiple times. Finally had the release done on one finger last year and may still end up doing the other three. Was a quick procedure and I was back chipping and putting after a few weeks.
Weeks?! That would suck. Get the cortisone shots to get you until next years pandemic or at least Nov/Dec off season.

Hope you find relief

Weeks?! That would suck. Get the cortisone shots to get you until next years pandemic or at least Nov/Dec off season.

The surgery recovery was a few weeks, shots were almost immediate relief although the relief through shots lasted decreasingly shorter lengths of time, the first gave relief for a year, the second lasted about 6 months, and the third only three.

Just saw this thread via a search...I'm having the same issues. I had it a couple years ago in my left pinky and it worked itself out, eventually. I have it now in both ring fingers and it sucks, but loosens up after the morning. May have to look into shots. I always thought it was from too tight of a grip? However, I changed from a tenser baseball grip to an overlap this year and this is the first I've had it. More relaxed grip....but I've also been hitting a LOT of balls. And this comes after a 2019 where I didn't play as much due to a shoulder injury. So I kind of went from 0-60 this spring with the range work...maybe I just moved too fast.

I'll have to look into these shots...I hate shots...but....I hate pain. That said, when I play, they generally loosen up a lot and feel fine...until the next morning, when it starts over again.

I had that for about 3 months in my right ring finger. Creeped me the heck out when it would just bend a little and then just automatically curl the rest. Like a fe wof you had said, it came after hitting a lot of balls, and in my case, off of a mat. Doctor gave me some sorta pill for it and it kinda sorted itself out.

Lay off the range balls and take it easy for a bit. (y) Sometimes things sort themselves out. I try to let my body do its thing and heal before medically intervening.
PT has been very good for me, although not the same issue, lots of finger/wrist/forearm/elbow/shoulder/neck stuff going on.
The carpal tunnel is a crazy area of the body. Have had to do those reps a lot over the years. I have long arms and flattish wrists, which are more prone than more round wrists my PT said. Any wrist or elbow inflammation I could totally see resulting in things like this. My forearm is a horrible case of "tennis elbow" all knotted up and it goes all the way down into the fingers. Lot of that is wrist injury/imbalance related.

My earlobes feel great? :LOL:

Doesn't Jon Elway do a commercial for a drug for the trigger finger issue?

Lay off the range balls and take it easy for a bit. (y) Sometimes things sort themselves out. I try to let my body do its thing and heal before medically intervening.
PT has been very good for me, although not the same issue, lots of finger/wrist/forearm/elbow/shoulder/neck stuff going on.
The carpal tunnel is a crazy area of the body. Have had to do those reps a lot over the years. I have long arms and flattish wrists, which are more prone than more round wrists my PT said. Any wrist or elbow inflammation I could totally see resulting in things like this. My forearm is a horrible case of "tennis elbow" all knotted up and it goes all the way down into the fingers. Lot of that is wrist injury/imbalance related.

My earlobes feel great? :LOL:

Doesn't Jon Elway do a commercial for a drug for the trigger finger issue?
Laying off the range is exactly my plan....I have been going like crazy...working on new swing changes, new clubs, etc. I think I have just done too much frankly. I need a breather. I bought a Bionic glove with all the extra padding and wear a band around my forearm for golf elbow and so on....haha. Taping up my finger on the right hand, using Aspercreme on my hands...I think it's time to back off. My plan is to practice the short game for a bit...chipping, putting, low impact....

I've had to do a lot of house/yard work and then some balls at the range, and things are barking pretty good/bad lately.
I tried the forearm band and got annoyed with the feel on the follow through. That only lasted about 10-15 balls at the range. Last resort. Did help the grip strength a little.

I need a maid, a gardener, a cook...that would help my golf game immensely. :unsure:

I've had to do a lot of house/yard work and then some balls at the range, and things are barking pretty good/bad lately.
I tried the forearm band and got annoyed with the feel on the follow through. That only lasted about 10-15 balls at the range. Last resort. Did help the grip strength a little.

I need a maid, a gardener, a cook...that would help my golf game immensely. :unsure:
wasn't sure Id like the arm band but doesn't bother me at all...I got one on amazon that just velcros around the arm. I use it at the range, not playing.

EDIT: This one

Hmmm...cant see it. Mine is the "Band-It." The Champions tour guys were using them a while back.

Hmmm...cant see it. Mine is the "Band-It." The Champions tour guys were using them a while back.
should be able to click on the image and check it out?

I don't know if it helps or not...but I know it doesn't hurt (and I don't even notice it's there)

Back