Steph Curry to be on Ryder Cup Coverage

Y'all are asking why? Maybe one of the reasons is that there are a lot of people that don't, can't, and or won't identify with the network trotting out "Good Ol' Jack Nicklaus" for the broadcast. Yes, he's an icon. Yes, he's JACK. But the less than knowledgeable people that don't live, breathe, and sleep golf don't know Jack or Arnier. They're just names. Old names. "Oh yea, that old golf guy..." You've heard it.

Do. Something. Different.

CBS Sports did something. They cut ties with some of the golf analysts that had been commentating for 30 years! Really? 30 years? There wasn't anyone within those past 30 years that could do the same thing or similar or different? No. They kept them for. 30. years.

Bring in new perspective.
Bring in new blood.

He has got to be better than most of the NBC staff.
The only two I have liked recently is Balionis and Colt Knost

I say bring in Peyton and Eli and let them cover it like they did MNF.

I'm for it.

I've been trying to think of who could be the two golfers to do something like this. Counting out Phil because he's a VC, I'd have to throw Bubba in there somewhere. Get him, someone, he's comfortable being laid back with.

I'm for it.

I've been trying to think of who could be the two golfers to do something like this. Counting out Phil because he's a VC, I'd have to throw Bubba in there somewhere. Get him, someone, he's comfortable being laid back with.
I agree on Bubba. He would do well.

Not with it. They're just trying to be hip and I guess push their agenda.

I'm for it.

After hearing Bubba during the Solheim Cup I think that’s be a good choice. Curry I’m kind of cautiously optimistic on. I’m tuning in regardless but I want to see how he does.

Yeah, it's mainly about pandering to black people, which for some reason networks feel is important. Look at the NHL coverage on NBC. If there was a black player on a team, like Washington, they really seemed to focus in on that player. It's almost like the execs are thinking, "Hey, if there are no black athletes in this sport, it's not a legitimate sport."

Yeah, it's mainly about pandering to black people, which for some reason networks feel is important. Look at the NHL coverage on NBC. If there was a black player on a team, like Washington, they really seemed to focus in on that player. It's almost like the execs are thinking, "Hey, if there are no black athletes in this sport, it's not a legitimate sport."
There are no reasons for this type of stuff here.

I just hope Steph is better than he was at The Match :confused2:

I will say after watching the WGC Match Play and all the Ryder Cups over the years that match play is not a great format for television. In stroke play you just bring up the player, show their score, and what shot they are on and the audience knows all they need to know.

In match play there is way more going on on every shot. You need to know things that can't be shown like where the other team is, which direction is the inertia of the match going, who is struggling, etc. All these things are kind of hidden to the TV viewer. Also the non-golf fan doesn't know what the heck is going on with the scoring either so it is more confusing for them

The telecast needs to work on bringing those things in and instead they focus on stupid NBC stuff that they have picked up on from the Olympics and Wide World Of Sports like the puff pieces and whatnot.

I will say after watching the WGC Match Play and all the Ryder Cups over the years that match play is not a great format for television. In stroke play you just bring up the player, show their score, and what shot they are on and the audience knows all they need to know.

See I would disagree with that, match play has the drama of “they NEED to chip this in or they lose their match” is also all the drama you need.

Y'all are asking why? Maybe one of the reasons is that there are a lot of people that don't, can't, and or won't identify with the network trotting out "Good Ol' Jack Nicklaus" for the broadcast. Yes, he's an icon. Yes, he's JACK. But the less than knowledgeable people that don't live, breathe, and sleep golf don't know Jack or Arnier. They're just names. Old names. "Oh yea, that old golf guy..." You've heard it.

Do. Something. Different.

CBS Sports did something. They cut ties with some of the golf analysts that had been commentating for 30 years! Really? 30 years? There wasn't anyone within those past 30 years that could do the same thing or similar or different? No. They kept them for. 30. years.

Bring in new perspective.
Bring in new blood.
noooooo we need more stuffy old guys to serenade us with tales of fescue and poa

There are no reasons for this type of stuff here.

You said bringing in Curry "speaks to a different demographic " in your first post.

That poster's post might not be PC (he could have worded it differently) but I think it's pretty evident that NBC is trying to get certain demographics.

You said bringing in Curry "speaks to a different demographic " in your first post.

That poster's post might not be PC (he could have worded it differently) but I think it's pretty evident that NBC is trying to get certain demographics.
Curry relates to a lot of demographics that differ from the average Ryder Cup watcher. He relates to young people, non-golfers, and yes, black people. I think the PGA would love to grow viewership in all of those demographics. That's a lot different than his post suggesting they're just pandering to black people and insinuating black people aren't important.

Curry relates to a lot of demographics that differ from the average Ryder Cup watcher. He relates to young people, non-golfers, and yes, black people. I think the PGA would love to grow viewership in all of those demographics. That's a lot different than his post suggesting they're just pandering to black people and insinuating black people aren't important.

Indeed, PGA of America have said exactly that:

“How do you make this game more accessible and more diverse?

“How do you bring more women into the game?

“How do you bring more minorities into the game?

“I think we would all agree, or most of us would agree, that the face of this game has to change...."

Maybe I missed it. I watched golf channel and nbc non-stop last week. The only time I saw/heard curry was when he was interviewed one time. Was he involved in some other way?

Maybe I missed it. I watched golf channel and nbc non-stop last week. The only time I saw/heard curry was when he was interviewed one time. Was he involved in some other way?
Kinda wondering the same thing. I think I saw more of Michael Jordan than I did of Curry. I watched it all on Golf Channel and NBC, was Curry involved in the online/streaming side of it or something?

Back