Steph Curry to be on Ryder Cup Coverage

A football broadcast lends itself to two HoF/likely HoF players talking about the game and bantering during the broadcast. Golf is too slow, and the camera work just doesn't provide enough information on its own for two golfers not really plugged into all the behind the scenes to add anything. Who knows how a professional basketball player with an earpiece will do? I won't be tuning in because of Curry, but I hope he can provide something worthwhile.
Thats a fair point. However I will argue that Bones brought a ton of useful commentary to a golf broadcast why wouldn't a player? AND even though Curry loves golf I don't see what he brings at all. I love golf too doesn't mean I'd be a good broadcaster. Granted nobody gives a damn about me haha, who knows.

Thats a fair point. However I will argue that Bones brought a ton of useful commentary to a golf broadcast why wouldn't a player? AND even though Curry loves golf I don't see what he brings at all. I love golf too doesn't mean I'd be a good broadcaster. Granted nobody gives a damn about me haha, who knows.
Millions of fans that follow him that are not golf fans and might tune in. :D

Hot take coming here: A lot of the players are pretty bad at commentary. They can pull off the shots, but they don't do a great job of explaining how and why. They either don't care, or don't know how to explain it to someone who doesn't already know how to do it. We have asked for years for more mic'ed up players, and 90% of it just isn't that great. We get some pretty awesome back and forth maybe 1-2 times a tournament if lucky, but then the announcers don't shut up over it so you miss some of it.

Hot take coming here: A lot of the players are pretty bad at commentary. They can pull off the shots, but they don't do a great job of explaining how and why. They either don't care, or don't know how to explain it to someone who doesn't already know how to do it. We have asked for years for more mic'ed up players, and 90% of it just isn't that great. We get some pretty awesome back and forth maybe 1-2 times a tournament if lucky, but then the announcers don't shut up over it so you miss some of it.
Phil disagrees with your thoughts

But even Bones took some getting used to his new role. Knowing when to speak up, when to keep quiet, and he really knows the game. Like I said, I hope Curry doesn't just flop, but I am not to optimistic.

No. A thousand times, no.
A million people tuned into watch alternate coverage of a MNF game with them.
The RC could use a bump of a million people, considering that is like 20-30% of their overall viewership.

A million people tuned into watch alternate coverage of a MNF game with them.
The RC could use a bump of a million people, considering that is like 20-30% of their overall viewership.
I saw it on the guide and went right on past.

I get it, it opens it up to a potentially wider appeal. I'm not sure how much will watch because he's involved, but it could add some eyeballs.

What I think would have been cool, is if they did a Nickelodeon broadcast on Saturday, similar to what the NFL did with the one playoff game last year.

Very true. I think the Ryder Cup has some issues overall, partly due to promotion and timing. Per the ratings discussion, even with Tiger returning, the ratings were really low.

I wonder why the ratings of the Ryder Cup are really low over here? I can’t possibly think LOL.

I wonder why the ratings of the Ryder Cup are really low over here? I can’t possibly think LOL.

Because Americans care more about NFL and College Football. They weren't great when we were winning either.

Because Americans care more about NFL and College Football. They weren't great when we were winning either.

You are aware the Ryder Cup is bang in the heart of all the domestic football seasons in Europe?? I don’t buy that as a reason for low figures.

You are aware the Ryder Cup is bang in the heart of all the domestic football seasons in Europe?? I don’t buy that as a reason for low figures.

Im well aware of it.
The US viewership numbers say otherwise. The minute the NFL season starts and 16 games are taking place, combined with 50+ NCAA games, golf viewership goes down. It's not really an opinion. The ratings have been down regardless of which team is winning and how is playing over the last decade.

Even the crappy college football games that start at noon will beat Ryder Cup in viewership. The good afternoon games will smash the RC. Same for Sunday's NFL games.

Lucky for me my college team is on the road for a 7 pm kick Sat. night. That means I can watch both. If it were a home game, I'd be at the stadium tailgating starting at 9 am. I love the Ryder Cup and rank it on par with the majors. I'll watch RC instead of NFL, but no way I'd miss one of my 7-8 football Saturdays.

Terry was only an 86% free throw shooter in college. Not quite Steph Curry. But, both could shoot the three.
"Only". :LOL: His alma mater would kill for some 86% FT shooters today, for sure.

I'm sure he benefited some from the 17'9" line, but he would've been alright in today's game, too.

1631739866213.png

"Only". :LOL: His alma mater would kill for some 86% FT shooters today, for sure.

I'm sure he benefited some from the 17'9" line, but he would've been alright in today's game, too.

View attachment 9028008

That 17’9” Line was interesting. Led to some very high scoring games.

I think the best reply as to why was in the second post. Trying to possibly attract a different demographic. It may not work, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you don't try. I'm sure some of Stephen Curry's fans are wondering the same thing, but from a little different direction. Why does Steph Curry think golf is cool? Maybe I'll have a look at it and see what he has to say about it.

And the broadcaster have been doing the same old shtick forever. Other than some new technologies, and better cameras, it hasn't changed much. God forbid they try something different. How about we see the product before we pass judgement.

Steph’s cool. He’ll know his stuff and will be an asset. He loves golf. When his dad and Muggsy Boggs played for the Hornets they played all over Charlotte. He’s given millions to Howard University to start a golf program.

It's all about the demographics.

Hey, it makes more sense than Michael Jordan being a vice captain 🤣.

I'm sure you didn't watch MNF but the commentary with Peyton and Eli was fantastic vs the regular broadcast. I wonder if golf could do something similar and who those guys would be that would make it entertaining. :unsure:
The commentary was fun but the ratings weren’t.

I've only heard him on Holey Moley - I'm neither for or against him because those are all really small segments. If he brings in more eyes I think that's great, I would rather him be field tested in a small tournament, but that's not how this stuff works with celebrity's, they get to go for the big role right away often times especially with how much they are getting paid. I guess we'll see, maybe he will have great chemistry with the other presenters.

One thing I was thinking of while I was watching football though is how different golf commentary is than football. In football they tend to talk about the play after the play, in golf a lot of times they talk about what the golfer should do before the shot and say it should be xxx inches outside the cup on the right or he's going to try to hit it in the center and spin left. It feels like a harder commentary to me than reaction commentary that is done during some other sports because of how fast paced they are.

Back