stinger and distance

pinseeker

"Non renunciare mai quello che desideri"
Reaction score
Handicap
TBD
Lots of articles regarding the stinger in golf digest, morning drive, e.t.c. I read the one from Tiger as he demonstrates. I wonder how much distance is lost from the lack of a follow through? For me, that shot is easy both with irons and woods. I keep forgetting about it, and found the recent articles something to keep in mind.

When I want stinger advice I go to this guy

This is one way to hit a stinger. Similar to what Tiger does, except for the loose forearm thing, Woods espouses the notion you need strong forearms to hold the low follow through. This does not mean tense, just to hold it. He also said you need to be hitting down on the ball, but not too much. Tiger said he has to feel like he is shutting off the follow as quickly as he can post impact, but in reality he gets fairly high. I would imagine that both these guys get the same results. I can't describe exactly what I do except to feel as though my lead arm is pointing straight down the fairway after impact. Anyway, that's what he says in this month's Golf Digest. Caveat...I do not take to heart all I read, but acknowledge it as something to try. "Fire for effect".

When I want stinger advice I go to this guy

I cannot argue with that logic. I can hit one, but not like that dude...Nothing to add here. 😂...Just Kidding, I think he forgot one key aspect of that shot. He needs to add a bowing of his left wrist, or left wrist flexion. If he doesn't, they're all going right.

The “loss of distance” isn’t really the issue with a stinger in real life. The way I use it, (Or at least to) it could be longer than a driver or 3 wood if it is into the wind. Or stay on line in heavy cross wind or to a narrow fairway. Now, it depends on ground conditions, but the right stinger will get lots of roll which isn’t affected by the wind.
If I hit a driver and it balloons up and stops dead at 230/240(if it goes straight), I’ll take the stinger carry of 200/210 and rolls 40 and stays in the fairway.

Back