Stock Market & Retirement Planning

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I have not seen a thread like this in a while so figured it was time for one. I like the finance world and I like preparing for our future. I also like watching shares go from under $6 to closing yesterday at $10.22 (thanks ELY).

Do you invest? Are you planning for your retirement?

Yes and yes. Unfortunately, I'm not good enough to attempt to invest fully on my own so I do pay for assistance and advise. It has worked well for us so far.

Currently putting money into my 401k at work. We have been basically living off of one income for a while so haven't been able to put back as much as I'd like. But, with new job prospects coming for the wife for work, hopefully will be upping my contributions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin
Yes and yes. Unfortunately, I'm not good enough to attempt to invest fully on my own so I do pay for assistance and advise. It has worked well for us so far.

That is great news.

Yes I am planning my retirement. I have a SIMPLE plan through work which I max out every year and the company matches 3% of my salary.

I also had the good fortune of being left $50k by a deceased grandparent and have invested that in to an annuity. The annuity is guaranteed at 6% a year, but can go higher based on how the money was invested. In 2013, my adviser made 18.3%. It is by far one of the best vehicles to use to guarantee your money but still be aggressive.

I also have a ROTH IRA, which I control myself and enjoy tinkering with it, but tend to break even more years than I would like.

That is great news.

Thanks. My wife and I have a plan to be retired at a certain age so we can both move south and work for the mouse.

Yes I do invest. I have a Scottrade account, and two 401k plans with work. I try to save as much as I can and I watch the stock market closely. I always increase my 401k % everyyear from my pay check because I am striving for a great retirement of on a beach and next to the golf course.

Yes. Have recovered everything from 2008 and are looking at average growth of about 9% in the last 3 years. It's not terrible and that is across the board in some low to mid risks within a number of different funds. We are on track, but the economy keeps moving the goal posts on us! :banghead:

JM

We have a retirement account yes, I don't personally don't play with the stock market though. I'm not patient enough, I get a little twitchy when things aren't going well. My biggest concern with planning on retirement is "will we have enough". I'm fortunate to have a pension from the Military, but honestly it's not enough to live off if we fall short. With the way inflation and cost of living keeps climbing we seem to always keep raising the retirement threshold number.

I tried investing a little a few years ago and it didn't go so well. Luckily, I didn't have a lot of money tied up in it. I participate in a 401K through work and last year my return was almost 30%. I thought that was good until I looked at my wife's 401K, through the same employer. She hasn't even looked at her plan since the day she started 7 years ago and was up 49% by the end of last year. I guess I should just not pay attention to mine...

yes, I started investing in 2005 and since then growth has been really good, I'm playing and gambling a bit with penny stocks and such and I have been lucky so far with gains every year and a 23% growth in 2013

I'll be ready for retirement.... in 35 years

The wife and I do invest in our Company's 401k plans. We also have a Roth that we setup around 8 years ago. I try not to look at it much as it just drives me crazy

Since the day I started work, I have made sure to capture the maximum company match in my 401K (can't pass up free money). Can't say I'm doing more than that right now, but over 14 years, it has built up rather nicely considering I'm still ~30 years from retirement. When the wife goes back to work in another couple of years, expanding the investments will be a focus.

As a function of my job it'd be silly for me not too. Proper planning is key to achieving any retirement goals. It's amazing how many people have not done basic stuff early and miss out on the compounding of returns over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stock market and investing fascinate me, but it's all quite intimidating and I have a relatively low risk tolerance, so I don't do anything on my own. I fund my 401k through work and have an IRA on the side, both with after-tax dollars (Roth).

My wife and I are planning for retirement but I don't think it's going to ever happen. The cost of living is just stupid high around here and its 2 steps forward, 1 step back for us each year it seems.
I don't directly dabble in the stock market I do have some shares and stocks that I've bought with advice from others, not much though.

I have a retirement plan that will pay me 55% of my yearly salary after I've put in 30 years. Nothing beyond that just yet.

I have a great 401K here at work that I put money to each paycheck and has been doing very well the last few years. My wife stays home, so she doesn't have a 401K, but we do each have Roth IRA accounts that we max out each year. I would love to do the trading myself, but I am not patient enough. I would hop out too quickly if something went up or down big. That's why I hire someone to do it for me.

I should be able to fully retire about 3 years after I'm dead. :bulgy-eyes:

Actually, I have my military retirement and a 401k here that does decent. I'll be no millionaire, but when I buy a doublewide on a half acre somewhere and live off free wifi from the McDs next door, I should be pretty good.

My wife and I contribute to our 403(b) through our employer and they also put in 5% of our income. We have a company who we pay to controll the money and it has done a lot better since we switched to them doing it. Both my wife and I have done this since we 21 so hopefully that pays off when we get closer to retirement age.

401k and it's basically all in the stock market right now, but I don't babysit it. Merrill Lynch manages it for me based on my goals.

And a pension I guess, but that's not going to be anything big. Just a supplement to the 401k.

I'm already retired, but continue to invest as I did for my entire career. I remember when I started my career (yes I can remember back that far), my company had a stock savings plan that matched dollar for dollar up to 10% of my salary. I wasn't making much to start and my in-laws kept saying that I shouldn't be putting 10% off the top in the program, but we preferred to do without some things to always put away the max. Then, when I did start to make good money, I upped my savings percent. For years, I managed my own portfolio with pretty good success until losing about 1/3 of my account in the big market melt down. Now, I utilize a wealth management company that has been getting me about 18% average ROI since that time, despite being in their most conservative profile. That savings/investment philosophy for all those years along with always living well within our means has insured a very comfortable retirement for us an enabled me to do just about anything I want.

Right now I have a pension and 401k type thing (Government thrift savings plan). My wife has a 403b pension (teacher) and she has an IRA/investments from when she was a stockbroker. We have a ways to go. Having our side business has allowed us to to pay alot of things off so that we can save more.

I'm already retired, but continue to invest as I did for my entire career. I remember when I started my career (yes I can remember back that far), my company had a stock savings plan that matched dollar for dollar up to 10% of my salary. I wasn't making much to start and my in-laws kept saying that I shouldn't be putting 10% off the top in the program, but we preferred to do without some things to always put away the max. Then, when I did start to make good money, I upped my savings percent. For years, I managed my own portfolio with pretty good success until losing about 1/3 of my account in the big market melt down. Now, I utilize a wealth management company that has been getting me about 18% average ROI since that time, despite being in their most conservative profile. That savings/investment philosophy for all those years along with always living well within our means has insured a very comfortable retirement for us an enabled me to do just about anything I want.

Living within our means is a huge one. For me buying Ford when it was 4.72 was a home run. I use a company as well and I am always watching. I have recently started trading forex. I love it so much I have considered a career change.

And 18% in low risk? Ken we need to talk

Back