Stock Market & Retirement Planning

Welp, that's not a great start. Trading halted

Give it 3 weeks then go all in. By the end of the year the market will be up at least 6 % over last year.

Wondering if today is the bottom or if I should wait a day before hitting buy on a couple favorites haha.

Wondering if today is the bottom or if I should wait a day before hitting buy on a couple favorites haha.
Who knows? I never try to time the market, just stick to the long game. My take: dumb virus > fear > taking profits...but fundamentals are really good. A serious rebound seems inevitable.

Who knows? I never try to time the market, just stick to the long game. My take: dumb virus > fear > taking profits...but fundamentals are really good. A serious rebound seems inevitable.

Agree. I'm legging into this market and buying some quality stocks this week like Disney, Amazon, Microsoft and maybe even Boeing.

Agree. I'm legging into this market and buying some quality stocks this week like Disney, Amazon, Microsoft and maybe even Boeing.

I'm not sure how I feel about Boeing. If I own any, it's in a fund. On the one hand, they have a huge backlog and some very good products, On the other, the 737 MAX debacle has uncovered some serious culture and process issues, including another one disclosed today - a wiring issue. Part of me says they could be like GE about two years after Jack left -shiny on the outside, but hollow and corroded on the inside. But then, another part of me reminds me that I've predicted eight of the last three recessions, and that's why I shouldn't be picking stocks.

If this oil war goes on for long, it could be great news for Appalachian shale. Frackers can't compete when crude is at $30/barrel, and most of the Gulf and North Dakota plays are "wet" - losts of crude and natural gas comes along with it. Appalachian wells yield dry gas - natural gas and some "natural gas liquids" that are the feedstocks for huge investments made in the North American chemical industry. As I recall, it is problematic to shut down and restart a fracked well once started, but if some fracked oil wells go down, Appalachian shale could force an increase in natural gas prices. Historically, natural gas and crude were priced to yield equivalent $/BTU. Using that yardstick, with crude at $30/bbl, natural gas should be at $5/million BTU. Thanks to fracking, that yardstick has been broken for years, but it indicates natural gas suppliers have some room to push price if they so choose.

Trading halted for the second time this week. You have to have stones to venture into this market but I’m thinking about adding to Walmart and Microsoft positions. I added to a S&P ETF about 6 weeks ago. Whoops!, those dollars are down about 15% in the blink of an eye.

Trading halted for the second time this week. You have to have stones to venture into this market but I’m thinking about adding to Walmart and Microsoft positions. I added to a S&P ETF about 6 weeks ago. Whoops!, those dollars are down about 15% in the blink of an eye.

I'm strongly considering legging into this market. I've held off so far but now that we are down about 27% off the peak. The average Bear Market drop is something like 30% so my guess which is just that, a guess, is that likely we are close to the bottom. I can't imagine us being down 50% or more like the 2008 financial crisis.

History of the Bull & Bear markets.

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 9.04.37 AM.png

Last edited:
I have no clue when it comes to stocks (as I have never had cash to be able to put in to them) but just out of interest I picked a handful of stocks (mainly energy related) at the beginning of the week and looked at what it would cost to buy them and made a note of their prices

I have just looked at those same stocks now, and they are down almost 20% in value from when I originally looked at them

Going to keep an eye on them and see how low they actually go before they start to rebound

I have no clue when it comes to stocks (as I have never had cash to be able to put in to them) but just out of interest I picked a handful of stocks (mainly energy related) at the beginning of the week and looked at what it would cost to buy them and made a note of their prices

I have just looked at those same stocks now, and they are down almost 20% in value from when I originally looked at them

Going to keep an eye on them and see how low they actually go before they start to rebound
Energy stocks are likely to be rough for a while. Saudi/Russia are killing the supply side and corona is killing the demand. I'm in the energy industry, so seriously hoping for a rebound sooner rather than later, but I don't think it's coming very soon.

Nobody can pick the bottom but I'm very confident a year or two from now stocks such as Microsoft, Coca-Cola, Nike, Johnson & Johnson, Mastercard, Amazon, etc. will be up dramatically or even double in price or more from where they are now.

I just talked to my advisor and am putting 25% of my available cash into the market today and likey 25% again each of the next few days.

Last edited:
Im gonna guess just cause, its fun. Id say the bottom is gonne be 37% off the high. Im slowing buying on the way down.

Energy stocks are likely to be rough for a while. Saudi/Russia are killing the supply side and corona is killing the demand. I'm in the energy industry, so seriously hoping for a rebound sooner rather than later, but I don't think it's coming very soon.
Yeah I am in the energy business too. Our company stock is down 55% since this all started.

Decided to peek at today's damage. Dow -10%, Nasdaq -9.4%, and Vortex -6.4%. Ha, take that Corona! Just kidding...I'm not selling and think the market will rebound this summer. Question is; what happens next winter when the virus returns? Hmmm.

Im gonna guess just cause, its fun. Id say the bottom is gonne be 37% off the high. Im slowing buying on the way down.
I am thinking more along the lines of 30%, but let's see what happens. It is one of things that really know one knows and we can only speculate. I am going to take a hard look at some stuff this weekend.

I am thinking more along the lines of 30%, but let's see what happens. It is one of things that really know one knows and we can only speculate. I am going to take a hard look at some stuff this weekend.

its almost there already...

Give it 3 weeks then go all in. By the end of the year the market will be up at least 6 % over last year.

Will take a few years to get back. Agree you should start buying in the next few months (not opening our personal savings taps till may proally), but buy all the way down little by little.

There’s something going on in the liquidity market - the feds 1.5 trillion move wasn’t a fluke; something isn’t working; bonds and derivative markets (ird/ cds) aren’t receiving the liquidity they should - scary stuff.

having lived in the finance world during Lehman and Bear ... I’m not panicked but there is concern that the markets aren’t behaving as normal

Will take a few years to get back. Agree you should start buying in the next few months (not opening our personal savings taps till may proally), but buy all the way down little by little.

There’s something going on in the liquidity market - the feds 1.5 trillion move wasn’t a fluke; something isn’t working; bonds and derivative markets (ird/ cds) aren’t receiving the liquidity they should - scary stuff.

having lived in the finance world during Lehman and Bear ... I’m not panicked but there is concern that the markets aren’t behaving as normal

I honestly think they should suspend all trading for a week or two as they did after 911. I'll be a buyer over the next few weeks if they don't. There is zero reason for this market to drop 51% as it did in 2008 during the financial crisis. If we get to 40% down I'm going all in maybe even with some margin.

It’s a supply side issue unlike 2008 where it was a market liquidity issue; agree that it’s being overblown but supply side issues tend to linger.... hopefully this will blow over, but practically, I think there will be a drumbeat of bad news weekly till summer

my kids school just got suspended for two weeks - there’s a residual impact on the buy side from that

It’s a supply side issue unlike 2008 where it was a market liquidity issue; agree that it’s being overblown but supply side issues tend to linger.... hopefully this will blow over, but practically, I think there will be a drumbeat of bad news weekly till summer

my kids school just got suspended for two weeks - there’s a residual impact on the buy side from that

My daughter's private college in California just canceled all classes next week and went online for the rest of the semester and they are forcing all students that live on campus to move out by March 23rd. My son's college in Minnesota extended spring break that starts March 20th to two full weeks. I'm sure they will also decide to go online for the remainder of the semester. My daughter's high school has been prepping the students the last two days to likely go online for at least a period of time after her 2 week spring break ends March 30th.

My daughter's private college in California just canceled all classes next week and went online for the rest of the semester and they are forcing all students that live on campus to move out by March 23rd. My son's college in Minnesota extended spring break that starts March 20th to two full weeks. I'm sure they will also decide to go online for the remainder of the semester. My daughter's high school has been prepping the students the last two days to likely go online for at least a period of time after her 2 week spring break ends March 30th.
San Jose State announces school closed for 30 days. The market is going to drop more. I’m guessing maybe into middle of next week. Some sectors are not going to recover quickly, some will. I’d be buying late next week.

Totally agree.

there is Potentially so much collateral damage economic wise. I was explaining this to my boss today. The US economy functions off every member society spending 98 cents of every dollar it they make or something like that. The economy needs constant spending as fuel. if spending drops even a few cents per person the total impact is huge.

Business go under, people loss jobs, and the economy could collapse. That is my fear in all of this. Not so much the sickness but that the effect of a long term quarantine could have on all of our lives.

Back