Stock Market & Retirement Planning

It’s a supply side issue unlike 2008 where it was a market liquidity issue; agree that it’s being overblown but supply side issues tend to linger.... hopefully this will blow over, but practically, I think there will be a drumbeat of bad news weekly till summer

my kids school just got suspended for two weeks - there’s a residual impact on the buy side from that

It’ll be bad news until the first Tuesday in November and depending how it goes suddenly everything will be roses. At least according to the “news.”

there is Potentially so much collateral damage economic wise. I was explaining this to my boss today. The US economy functions off every member society spending 98 cents of every dollar it they make or something like that. The economy needs constant spending as fuel. if spending drops even a few cents per person the total impact is huge.

Business go under, people loss jobs, and the economy could collapse. That is my fear in all of this. Not so much the sickness but that the effect of a long term quarantine could have on all of our lives.
Ah, the gubment carrot dangling and how they are kept fueled. How true it is - the bondage to spending the majority of what you acquire. I don't fear any of it, yet I observe it day after day and how it unfolds. Money grubbers without conscience abound too, but that is another topic.

Am I surprised by it? No, not one bit. Everything is bled to the maximum and that is the social order of things. Also, people place all their short comings on others and expect to be taken care of. People expect YOU to take care of them when times are hard.

It’ll be bad news until the first Tuesday in November and depending how it goes suddenly everything will be roses. At least according to the “news.”

San Jose State announces school closed for 30 days. The market is going to drop more. I’m guessing maybe into middle of next week. Some sectors are not going to recover quickly, some will. I’d be buying late next week.

I'm not waiting anymore. I bought in yesterday afternoon and I'm buying in again today. The Dow closed 28.3% yesterday from the recent peak and Dow futures are up 5.3% premarket. I don't know if we have seen the bottom yet but it's close enough for me to be at ease buying now.

I'm not waiting anymore. I bought in yesterday afternoon and I'm buying in again today. The Dow closed 28.3% yesterday from the recent peak and Dow futures are up 5.3% premarket. I don't know if we have seen the bottom yet but it's close enough for me to be at ease buying now.
Agreed.

What are you buying?

What are you buying?

Microsoft, Coca Cola, Ecolab, Honeywell, McDonalds, P&G, Costco, Visa, Target and a few others. If we didn't own so much Apple I'd buy that as well and it's currently up 6% today. They have $200B in cash and are set for growth with 5G handsets coming soon. Amazon is another one I like and I'd buy if you don't own any.

I'm comfortable holding any of these for 5 years and IMO they are all on sale right now. I almost pulled the trigger on Boeing yesterday as a higher risk play and I see that it is up 10% today already. I may still jump on Boeing today.

Today is the perfect example of why you don't get out when stocks or down or try to time the market. Nobody can time the market consistently.

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 3.37.46 PM.png

Today is the perfect example of why you don't get out when stocks or down or try to time the market. Nobody can time the market consistently.

View attachment 8931611

Looks like maybe a bit of short covering. There is always a spike before another fall. In A few years it’ll be a forgotten passing.

Looks like maybe a bit of short covering. There is always a spike before another fall. In A few years it’ll be a forgotten passing.

I don't know if I'll quickly forget what's happened these last few weeks, lol.:)

The largest daily Dow point losses and gains in history.

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 4.28.18 PM.png

I don't know if I'll quickly forget what's happened these last few weeks, lol.:)

The largest daily Dow point losses and gains in history.

View attachment 8931614

Great table. Traders have the wheel and investors are along for the ride. I don't like the hard up/downs but it doesn't worry me too much.

Good call on buying yesterday. I like these companies from your list... Microsoft, Ecolab, Honeywell, P&G, Costco, and Visa.

Traders have the wheel and investors are along for the ride.

Yep, if you are a long term investor then go play golf and don't pay attention. I'm dollar cost averaging back in but I've been about 50% out since the summer. The other 50%, "hasn't lost a thing because I haven't sold anything." Best Buffet quote for the average investor.

Great table. Traders have the wheel and investors are along for the ride. I don't like the hard up/downs but it doesn't worry me too much.

Good call on buying yesterday. I like these companies from your list... Microsoft, Ecolab, Honeywell, P&G, Costco, and Visa.

I hopefully got a bit lucky legging in with 50% of my available cash yesterday and this morning but with the volatility I think we will see more of these big swings the next few months. Let’s hope we can kick this virus and get things back to normal by July.

Buckle up!; tomorrow is going to be another wild ride.

Buckle up!; tomorrow is going to be another wild ride.

I am so frustrated with the fiscal moves over the past 2 weeks. I don't understand them. The core issue is not a market issue.... and throwing economic tools at it is pointless in my mind. I think this rollercoaster ride is going to get really wild....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I am so frustrated with the fiscal moves over the past 2 weeks. I don't understand them. The core issue is not a market issue.... and throwing economic tools at it is pointless in my mind. I think this rollercoaster ride is going to get really wild....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The virus is definitely an unknown and agree with taking a conservative approach. I don't have enough information to know if the US/world are/aren't doing the right things. Dropping interest rates to near 0% means the Fed is almost out of bullets. My general thesis is about the economy a few months from now. Shutting it down is the easy part. Restarting the economy, without adding a couple trillion to the national debt, could be problematic. Also, what happens if the virus returns in 7 months?

Well my stocks came back up a little but my 401k/403b is still down 15% since 1/1, that friggin hurts

I’m still a buyer over the next couple weeks although it’s a bigger guess than ever when things will bottom out. I’ll hold off buying tomorrow but am expecting things to be down 7-10% to close out Monday and super volatile the next 30 days.

I threw just about everything I had sitting in cash in an S&P Tracking fund. I figure if Warren Buffet has a tough time beating the S&P I don't have a chance. Still have a little left in case rock bottom is still lurking.

I threw just about everything I had sitting in cash in an S&P Tracking fund. I figure if Warren Buffet has a tough time beating the S&P I don't have a chance. Still have a little left in case rock bottom is still lurking.

I'm pausing my buying for day or two but long term you will be glad you are buying when the market is 30% plus down off the peak.

Last edited:
another brutal day for the market

Feeling bullish again and placed limit orders to buy a few stocks if the markets has more soft spots this week. Adding to positions with Lam, Walmart, Steel Dynamics, and Nviida. Also placed an order for Apple.

Feeling bullish again and placed limit orders to buy a few stocks if the markets has more soft spots this week. Adding to positions with Lam, Walmart, Steel Dynamics, and Nviida. Also placed an order for Apple.
Would love to by some Apple and Union Pacific right here...
When this thing bounce back, look out.....

Would love to by some Apple and Union Pacific right here...
When this thing bounce back, look out.....

So many incredible stocks are on sale now. It would not surprise me to see many of them rebound quickly with a v-shaped recovery in 6-12 months when this virus is under control.

Back