Stock Market & Retirement Planning

To quote the legendary Spencer Strasmore - “If it drives, flies, floats or f***s, lease it!”
That's a pretty good quote. Leasing/Renting is a viable option depending on ones circumstances.

To quote the legendary Spencer Strasmore - “If it drives, flies, floats or f***s, lease it!”

I thought he was the one that said "IF it has tires or breasts -- you are going to have trouble!":LOL:

If you have to borrow money to buy something all that means is that you can't afford it.

If you can get a loan at a favorable interest rate it means that you can afford it.
I am currently paying less than a percentage point over inflation on a three year auto loan.
I have a friend that has recently secured a twenty year, fixed rate home loan at 1.35 percent.
That's pretty much found money.

What's a better value, more stock or a second vacation home at Myrtle Beach? If the stock tanks, the money evaporates. If the housing market tanks, you still have a house, no?
As Myrtle Beach is a coastal city, that depends on hurricanes and rising sea levels. How about a place in the Blue Ridge or Piedmont mountains?

If you can get a loan at a favorable interest rate it means that you can afford it.
I am currently paying less than a percentage point over inflation on a three year auto loan.
I have a friend that has recently secured a twenty year, fixed rate home loan at 1.35 percent.
That's pretty much found money.
Until the interest rates rise and create another recession and you have no equity and walk away from the property because it's worth less than your mortgage. And guys like me walk in and buy it from the bank for 30 cents on the dollar.

Which is exactly what I did on three property's in 2008.

As Myrtle Beach is a coastal city, that depends on hurricanes and rising sea levels. How about a place in the Blue Ridge or Piedmont mountains?
Always buy dividend paying (12/yr) stocks or ETF's. You can keep your cash, make it grow tax free, and use some of the growth to rent a condo/villa with the proceeds.

Condo's/Villa's have operating expenses which the owner has to pay per month, year or even quarter.

So, take $500,000 invest it. Get 7% on your money or $35,000/yr, spend $3,000/mth to rent a place 6 months out of the year. Your $500,000 will be worth $517,000 and you've had 6 months of living in Italy, Greece, Mexico for free! Make your money work for you.

Until the interest rates rise and create another recession and you have no equity and walk away from the property because it's worth less than your mortgage. And guys like me walk in and buy it from the bank for 30 cents on the dollar.

Which is exactly what I did on three property's in 2008.
Hahaha. Some of this stuff you have shared is hysterical because the reverse has gone on since then. Someone could have not paid cash, invested those savings and made WAY more than equity created.

Perhaps the better alternative is to understand that there are many ways to accomplish ones goals and not everybody has the same goals.

But as you said...your the multimillionaire 🙃

Hahaha. Some of this stuff you have shared is hysterical because the reverse has gone on since then. Someone could have not paid cash, invested those savings and made WAY more than equity created.

Perhaps the better alternative is to understand that there are many ways to accomplish ones goals and not everybody has the same goals.

But as you said...your the multimillionaire 🙃
I sold them all in 2018.

Hahaha. Some of this stuff you have shared is hysterical because the reverse has gone on since then. Someone could have not paid cash, invested those savings, and made WAY more than equity created.

Perhaps the better alternative is to understand that there are many ways to accomplish one's goals and not everybody has the same goals.

But as you said... you're the multimillionaire 🙃

There are many, many ways to make money. I have many very successful friends that all got there through different methods. Many dumped 90% all into one basket whether that is their small business, apartment buildings, fast food franchises, oil rigs, private equity, tech stocks, etc. One friend got wealthy by just investing in Tesla 6 or 7 years ago. Lots of other older guys at the club are out of equities and live off a pension and bonds/life insurance policies. My wife and I grew our investments the more traditional way by both working 30+ years in corporate America and benefiting from 401k's, company stock purchase plans, and stock options/RSU's. We certainly now realize this might not have been the easiest way or the method that had the best work/life balance, lol. :oops:

The older I get the more I realize there are dozens of different ways to accumulate wealth and how ignorant I am about most of them. We now feel the urge to diversify with 10-15% of what we have in a completely new area. I'm not sure where that will lead us but we are maybe only two months away from buying into a new franchise and/or going the private equity route. Investing to get a 20% return can't be super safe but we are willing to leap. We won't know unless we try.

There are many, many ways to make money. I have many very successful friends that all got there through different methods. Many dumped 90% all into one basket whether that is their small business, apartment buildings, fast food franchises, oil rigs, private equity, tech stocks, etc. One friend got wealthy by just investing in Tesla 6 or 7 years ago. Lots of other older guys at the club are out of equities and live off a pension and bonds/life insurance policies. My wife and I grew our investments the more traditional way by both working 30+ years in corporate America and benefiting from 401k's, company stock purchase plans, and stock options/RSU's. We certainly now realize this might not have been the easiest way or the method that had the best work/life balance, lol. :oops:

The older I get the more I realize there are dozens of different ways to accumulate wealth and how ignorant I am about most of them. We now feel the urge to diversify with 10-15% of what we have in a completely new area. I'm not sure where that will lead us but we are maybe only two months away from buying into a new franchise and/or going the private equity route. Investing to get a 20% return can't be super safe but we are willing to leap. We won't know unless we try.

one of my wealthiest clients sold a minority interest in his business for a 7-figure windfall, and invested it in the market. then within a very short period, has leveraged those market assets with securities-based lending and invested in commercial property that he and a partner build and lease out. his financial advisor and i have both strongly advised against this, but his yield on the commercial real estate has consistently exceeded his market portfolio even after factoring in the debt service. we'll see what happens in this post-covid landscape, though.

Here's three you can buy right now and make a gobsmack amount of money. Providing you have a trading account that will allow you to make the purchase.

Vanguard S&P500 ETF
Berkshire Hathaway almost any share
Vanguard Global Index - your choice based upon your tolerance and fees.

I like ETF's because they are safe and have low MERs.

If you put $500,000 or more equally in each one of these and DRIP is setup you will realize returns that your golf buddies will envy.

• Eye Roll
Reactions: JB
Haha, hope you didn’t take that advice this year. Based on the return...which has been abysmal.

Haha, hope you didn’t take that advice this year. Based on the return...which has been abysmal.
I bought more every single month. My average cost per share is beautiful. Now that Biden is in we will see the markets climb and my cheap shares will explode. Buy low, when everyone if fearful go in and buy all you can.

• Eye Roll
I bought more every single month. My average cost per share is beautiful. Now that Biden is in we will see the markets climb and my cheap shares will explode. Buy low, when everyone if fearful go in and buy all you can.
We have now asked on 4 occasions for you to leave politics off the forum.

This will be the last time it is asked before you are removed.

We have now asked on 4 occasions for you to leave politics off the forum.

This will be the last time it is asked before you are removed.
There isn't ANY politics on this thread!!

• WTF
Nice try. You might get a short term fixed rate, but you won't get a low, low rate past 7 years.
Do you know consider 2.99% fixed for 30 years low? Because anyone with average credit can get that.

A good foundation is a must for successful investments and gains. A decent paying steady job is paramount. Some people just don't have that. I was fortunate I had that, without kids. I retired at age 57 financially set. :)

Do you know consider 2.99% fixed for 30 years low? Because anyone with average credit can get that.
That's a complex question and a risk for you. Banks and Lloyd's of London have bonds that are well past the due dates that encompass the maturity dates of the paper they issue, hold, and insure.

If the "Banks" are holding millions of mortgages at 2.99% and the World bank, national banks, and local banks increase rates. Then the insurance companies are on the hook.

All that paper has to be sold on the open market. And this is where your risk comes in. Your "fixed" 30 year term will end up being your problem if they can legally break your contract and make you pay the proposed new rate. If you have a good lawyer you may want to take your mortgage contract to the lawyer.

Think about that rate and term logically.

Here's three you can buy right now and make a gobsmack amount of money. Providing you have a trading account that will allow you to make the purchase.

Vanguard S&P500 ETF
Berkshire Hathaway almost any share
Vanguard Global Index - your choice based upon your tolerance and fees.

I like ETF's because they are safe and have low MERs.

If you put $500,000 or more equally in each one of these and DRIP is setup you will realize returns that your golf buddies will envy.

Not against those three but I tried to manage my portfolio for many years, have hired and fired a few financial advisors, and finaly found an amazing one in 2017. I now follow her advice on our investment decisions. She has beaten the market by a decent amount each of the last three years and was recently ranked by Forbes #1 in Minnesota and #126 in the US.

Not against those three but I tried to manage my portfolio for many years, have hired and fired a few financial advisors, and finaly found an amazing one in 2017. I now follow her advice on our investment decisions. She has beaten the market by a decent amount each of the last three years and was recently ranked by Forbes #1 in Minnesota and #126 in the US.
Can you PM me her name?

Back