Stock Market & Retirement Planning

Damn, that pullback made me sell off my sndl and then it rebounded some more, about $100 diff at this point if I held. I should've listened to myself in here and my trading chat with buddies.

Still a 150% $250 profit is good with me for just over a week , but if it takes off some more ill be kicking myself. Time will tell i guess

Does this look sustainable to anybody?

1613572668300.png

Does this look sustainable to anybody?

View attachment 8993881

Does this?

fredgraph.png

Does this?

fredgraph.png
Interesting. What that says to me is that the money is going into more specualtive/investment items like real estate, stocks, and metals rather than consumption. Also the last decade has seen a lot of aging Boomers cramming money into their retirement accounts.

Also interesting that Friedman and the Chicago School of monetarists say GDP = MV and V is fairly constant. This graph would disprove that assertion. When things revert to the mean, and they will, the economy will resemble a paradigm shifting without a clutch.

Interesting. What that says to me is that the money is going into more specualtive/investment items like real estate, stocks, and metals rather than consumption. Also the last decade has seen a lot of aging Boomers cramming money into their retirement accounts.

Not exclusively. There's definitely some buying of risk assets (e.g., real estate, bonds/credit, stocks, commodities, crypto, etc.), but a much higher savings rate, even if it has come off the highs from last spring.

fredgraph.png

Also interesting that Friedman and the Chicago School of monetarists say GDP = MV and V is fairly constant. This graph would disprove that assertion. When things revert to the mean, and they will, the economy will resemble a paradigm shifting without a clutch.

No question demographics have weighed on V since the prior recession, but there's also a structural change in that we don't need as much stuff. We have technology that does the job of many people and other things. Lack of V is the main reason why we didn't experience significant inflation, despite massive increases in M.

Am I the only person who lost money in my/wife 401K from February 2020 to February 2021? I have a feeling we paid for some fake boobs at their office. Can I say that here?

Am I the only person who lost money in my/wife 401K from February 2020 to February 2021? I have a feeling we paid for some fake boobs at their office. Can I say that here?

yes. What are you invested in (besides silicone)?

We were in 80%stock 20% Bonds . Haven’t kept any of the mailers. Looking to move into Vanguard Funds

Yeah, probably. Did they at least send you a picture?

That doesn't seem possible honestly.

Based on the returns you're citing, the boobs in their office were managing your account. What were your top five holdings?

I mean mine took a huge dip in March but then rebounded very well.

But the ROI on the fake teddies could be worth it, depends on how many free drinks she'll get

Gamestop squeeze again haha

Finally some small gains after hemorrhaging the last week or so 🤬

We were in 80%stock 20% Bonds . I haven’t kept any of the mailers. Looking to move into Vanguard Funds

Hard to believe you lost money with an 80/20 allocation in the last year. The S&P 500 is up 26% in the last 12 months, FWIW. Not many financial advisors can beat an S&P500 index fund, and the expenses for such a fund are super low. At my old company, it was .04% or $40 per year for every $100,000 you have invested. We hired and fired 3 financial advisors between 2007 and 2015 before finding a great one a few years ago. I wouldn't hesitate to fire you advisor if they lost you money when the market was up over 20%. You can't afford to miss many of those up years and there are simple ways of investing and some great books that make it easy like this one.

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 4.19.51 PM.png

Last edited:
Hard to believe you lost money with an 80/20 allocation in the last year. The S&P 500 is up 26% in the last 12 months, FWIW. Not many financial advisors can beat an S&P500 index fund, and the expenses for such a fund are super low. At my old company, it was .04% or $40 per year for every $100,000 you have invested. We hired and fired 3 financial advisors between 2007 and 2015 before finding a great one a few years ago. I wouldn't hesitate to fire you advisor if they lost you money when the market was up over 20%. You can't afford to miss many of those up years and there are simple ways of investing and some great books that make it easy like this one.

View attachment 8994973

Thanks for the reading recommendation

I find this tread intersting in name vs the topics. Chasing stocks or sectors is tough unless you are a pro. I have a grad degree in Finance and I learned in the .com bust to leave chasing markets, sectors, stocks and market timing to others. My monthly investing in a diversified portfolio is not sexy but has proven to work for my retirement accounts, my kids college funds and my wifes portfolio.

last year, the managed funds did better then my index funds but all made big money. Even the bond funds did like 8%.

My personal opinion is the market is about 5 years ahead of itself and all we need is some really bad news to see a very large pullback. Still if you are 10 years from retirement and investing in a diverse portfolio montly, I think in 10 years all is good. If you are investing in Janus like funds of late 1990's that were all in the same companies then you might be looking at massive loss.

I find this tread intersting in name vs the topics. Chasing stocks or sectors is tough unless you are a pro. I have a grad degree in Finance and I learned in the .com bust to leave chasing markets, sectors, stocks and market timing to others. My monthly investing in a diversified portfolio is not sexy but has proven to work for my retirement accounts, my kids college funds and my wifes portfolio.

last year, the managed funds did better then my index funds but all made big money. Even the bond funds did like 8%.

My personal opinion is the market is about 5 years ahead of itself and all we need is some really bad news to see a very large pullback. Still if you are 10 years from retirement and investing in a diverse portfolio montly, I think in 10 years all is good. If you are investing in Janus like funds of late 1990's that were all in the same companies then you might be looking at massive loss.

I’ve got money in a mutual fund or two, but I left a little money aside for just fun stuff. 9 bucks in a penny stock just for the fun of it. If it goes up 2 cents, I feel like I just won the lottery. If it crashes, I swear profusely and realize that I’m down literally the cost of a beer 🥲

I’ve got money in a mutual fund or two, but I left a little money aside for just fun stuff. 9 bucks in a penny stock just for the fun of it. If it goes up 2 cents, I feel like I just won the lottery. If it crashes, I swear profusely and realize that I’m down literally the cost of a beer 🥲
You drink fancy beer! That’s a sixer of Yuengling for me! I would mourn its loss with another sixer of Yuengling. My Dad and I like to play in speculative biopharm, which is fun and interesting.

You drink fancy beer! That’s a sixer of Yuengling for me! I would mourn its loss with another sixer of Yuengling. My Dad and I like to play in speculative biopharm, which is fun and interesting.

I'm playing in a renewable hydrogen company. I'm about to toss a match on them if they don't cut it out :LOL:

My brothers buddy has a boatload of shares in some solar window company..... bought at like a buck... November it was $3 and change.
Last week.... $34 and change and now around $27. :oops:

could just as easily go back to a buck and may just do so.... but it’s been fun to watch.

Back