Stock Market & Retirement Planning

I had a AirBNB order that filled a couple of weeks ago on a pull back. It's only a paper gain, but 15% is a good start. Betting on AirBNB as a disruptor to hotel chains. Hard part is determining quality run company vs equity bubble. May need to put a stop loss on this one.

If you're interested in learning more about Central Banks and all the paper they've printed over the last 30+ years, then I highly recommend Grant Williams' The End Game. I'm on episode 5. They often talk about how rigged the market is for the powerful. The game will come to an end at some point. One episode had a good use of Hemmingway's famous quote about going bankrupt...gradually and then suddenly.

Grant Williams - The End Game

I was thinking about electric cars the other day.... Tesla, of course, came to mind.... it is priced a little too high for me and i started thinking.... what does Tesla (or any electric car) need? copper. Wiring, windings for motors, charging cables, etc... each Tesla uses approx. 180 lbs of copper... per vehicle.... 45,000 tons annually at current usage from just one car manufacturer. i took a flier and put some $ in a copper fund, back in late January. So far, it's up about 18% as of today. Of course, not enough to change my life but at least it didn't tank.... If i'd gotten this idea in March 2020, i'd really be happy, the fund has nearly doubled since then... Anyhow, it'll be fun to watch.... bottom line, everyone please go out and buy an electric car, maybe 2 or 3. Thanks in advance.

i would be careful with your cause and effect. The USD devaluation is causing a significant increase in commodities.

that being said, I do like your thought process and strategy. Copper does have some long term attractiveness with an EV boom

i would be careful with your cause and effect. The USD devaluation is causing a significant increase in commodities.

that being said, I do like your thought process and strategy. Copper does have some long term attractiveness with an EV boom
Understood on the devaluation point and one I hadn’t fully considered, so thank you for that!

As for copper, I just had to give it a shot and with an amount that wasn’t going to hurt if/when it tanks. Did it because the few times I’ve wanted to buy a stock or commodity and haven’t, I’ve kicked myself.

The biggie was, in high school or maybe college when I saw an interview, on Johnny Carson, with a VERY interesting guy and wished I had 10k to buy his stock, which was wildly expensive. But his line of thinking really made a lot of sense to me then.

Turned out the guy was Warren Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway stock was $1830 per share, or thereabouts, and is today hovering just short of $395,000 per share. 😳

so, I get up every morning, shake my head at the fool looking at me in the mirror, then head to work 😁

Thanks again for your input, much appreciated!

I just logged into my Fidelity account on the app at 4:54 pm and the welcome message was "Good Evening". And honestly I want the kind of optimism from my retirement investment firm that I won't be at my office for the next 3 hours and that one day I can also consider 4:54 pm to be the evening. It's as if they want to make it happen for me, and I appreciate it.

I just logged into my Fidelity account on the app at 4:54 pm and the welcome message was "Good Evening". And honestly I want the kind of optimism from my retirement investment firm that I won't be at my office for the next 3 hours and that one day I can also consider 4:54 pm to be the evening. It's as if they want to make it happen for me, and I appreciate it.

If evening started at 4 - i would be working into tomorrow by their standards!

This day was both good and trash. Morning started off nicely. What in the hell happened this afternoon.. Eesh.

This day was both good and trash. Morning started off nicely. What in the hell happened this afternoon.. Eesh.
Personal portfolio? All three indices were green for the day with a spike at the end of the trading day.

Personal portfolio? All three indices were green for the day with a spike at the end of the trading day.

Yeah them too. I was looking at the 11:30 update, when they were all down. Right below them was my stuff, which was up early, then just said lol good talk good talk. Yeah looks like all three did some rallying in that golden hour.

Yeah them too. I was looking at the 11:30 update, when they were all down. Right below them was my stuff, which was up early, then just said lol good talk good talk. Yeah looks like all three did some rallying in that golden hour.
Lately it’s been a pretty steady balloon, plateau, decline throughout the day. I’m sure there’s no rhyme or reason, just interesting to watch. Was pleasantly surprised to see the afternoon rally. I’d have to think the next stimulus is already priced in, so not sure what caused this afternoons movement.

Lately it’s been a pretty steady balloon, plateau, decline throughout the day. I’m sure there’s no rhyme or reason, just interesting to watch. Was pleasantly surprised to see the afternoon rally. I’d have to think the next stimulus is already priced in, so not sure what caused this afternoons movement.
Agree seems morning selloffs are too much to overcome with afternoon rally. The 10-11 runs have been awesome only to be deflated at lunch to 2

Has anyone ever done much with trading options? I’ve just gotten interested in it and started my first attempt at running the wheel strategy today.

I get with earnings reports coming out over the next week, but man.. At least have some rhyme or reason for the decline!

I get with earnings reports coming out over the next week, but man.. At least have some rhyme or reason for the decline!
If anything guarantees unexplainable stock movements, it’s earnings report season LOL.

A lot of stocks on the rebound so far this week, thankfully! SNDL with another merger or whatever and earnings coming out after close will determine what I do with them. Hoping for a good report to hold onto

Tech is rebounding nicely also

Has anyone ever done much with trading options? I’ve just gotten interested in it and started my first attempt at running the wheel strategy today.
I did a little bit 10 years or so ago - I'm just going to say that "He who hesitates is lost" when it comes to options.
Got a profit that your happy with, do not hesitate taking the profit, you never know what tomorrow will bring.

It's fun and exciting for sure, not for the faint of heart.

Good luck with it! Come back and let us know how your strategy worked out.

I’ve only traded covered calls.

I’ve only traded covered calls.
Same here, until now. Trying to slowly work my way into more complex trades. The wheel is just a series of cash secured puts and covered calls.

I did a little bit 10 years or so ago - I'm just going to say that "He who hesitates is lost" when it comes to options.
Got a profit that your happy with, do not hesitate taking the profit, you never know what tomorrow will bring.

It's fun and exciting for sure, not for the faint of heart.

Good luck with it! Come back and let us know how your strategy worked out.
That's the beauty of this strategy as I understand it - it shouldn't be too exciting and doesn't require paying attention from moment to moment. If I'm doing it correctly, my options will either expire OTM or get rolled out for credit. I'm starting very small to use it as a learning process. My target is to end up averaging around 1.5 - 2% per month.

I’m 29 and just put 10% of my gross pay into the company 401k which they add an additional 5%.
I feel that my future is best served by investing fully into low cost aggressive index funds until I get 45-50, then I will get more conservative.

I’m 29 and just put 10% of my gross pay into the company 401k which they add an additional 5%.
I feel that my future is best served by investing fully into low cost aggressive index funds until I get 45-50, then I will get more conservative.
It’s a great start. Congrats!

I‘ll add my congratulations to that sent by IndySC. It’s never too early to start saving and i would add to sock away as much as you can as early as you can without it being too much of a burden. Time is on your side right now, so take full advantage of it! Good going.

I‘ll add my congratulations to that sent by IndySC. It’s never too early to start saving and i would add to sock away as much as you can as early as you can without it being too much of a burden. Time is on your side right now, so take full advantage of it! Good going.

I echo this, way to go! My wife and I started saving 10% in our 401k’s at age 30 shortly after we got married and both of us had a 6% match. The decades go by quickly and you will be in a great position in 25 years (or less) and have the option to step out of the workforce if you choose.

10% is really great. I'm still not even up to that level yet, though I should be

Back