Stock Market & Retirement Planning

The government will never let you completely off the grid.

This is the problem I see. But if the government did collapse down the road, I guess maybe it wouldnt matter?

Northerner;n8594976 said:
I'm wondering what some of your opinions are.*

I have an IRA worth tens of thousands. I also have tens of thousands in my bank account.

If society broke down and TSHTF, those things will be worthlesd.

What would you do with it? An invested told me even fiat money will be worthless if society breaks down.

So....should I take all of it put and invest it in ammo? In land? In weaponry?

What would some of you do with it? My gut tells me land an hour away from the Cities would be ideal in case of societal collapse..

If society broke WHAT WOULD BE WORTH THE MOST?

Opinions?

I really dont think society would collapse entirely. But if it did, the land ownership would also be worthless because there would be no government to enforce it. anything that relies on government regulation/enforcement could become null. It would be more likely for another country to take control of us than to see the complete failure of our society.

Diversification would be the best bet. Yes get a piece of land before society collapses and build your bug out cabin. but also invest in hard goods and supplies. Precious metals can be good to have. Goods with a high barter value are good to have.

I am close to paying off all debts (except the mortgage and one modest car payment). When I do, I will have a sizable chunk of income every month to divest into my family's lifestyle.

I intend to upgrade the house and take on a slightly larger mortgage, I will always maintain one car payment (trying to avoid 2 car payments)

Beyond that, Im considering getting into some investing beyond my 401K and cash savings budget.

Any advice on some reading/studying I can do to learn more about investing? Not sure if I want to try my hand at day trading or invest with a financial planner of some sort. Perhaps there are options I havent considered.

I've been following Apple stock closely for 20 years and they just had another amazing quarter. Like many I was surprised by the iPhone numbers and it's crazy that their wearables(mostly watch & airpods/beats) revenue was larger than Mac revenue for the quarter. $10 billion in revenue in Q4 for a category that didn't even exist 5 years ago!

BTW, a $5,000 investment in Apple stock in early 2004 would now be worth about $1,600,000:oops:

I've been following Apple stock closely for 20 years and they just had another amazing quarter. Like many I was surprised by the iPhone numbers and it's crazy that their wearables(mostly watch & airpods/beats) revenue was larger than Mac revenue for the quarter. $10 billion in revenue in Q4 for a category that didn't even exist 5 years ago!

BTW, a $5,000 investment in Apple stock in early 2004 would now be worth about $1,600,000:oops:

Is that how you got the 2 boats and 2 jet skis?

This is nuts. I wish I would’ve bought more Apple stock when I had the chance. At this point, it’s hard to imagine they’ll continue on their aggressive upward trend. At some point they have to come back down, right?

This is nuts. I wish I would’ve bought more Apple stock when I had the chance. At this point, it’s hard to imagine they’ll continue on their aggressive upward trend. At some point they have to come back down, right?

Agreed. Their rapid growth is behind them but for many of us they are a buy and hold type stock. They have doubled in price the last 12 months adding almost $700B in market cap.

Short term I can certainly see a
Pullback and would be a buyer in that $280 range.
0334DC81-0F8F-4F2B-8334-72871262A544.jpeg

Last edited:
December 27th I asked my boss where I should invest some money I received for Christmas. Jokingly he told me Tesla.......If I would have listened I would be $1,600 richer. That buys a nice set of Callaway Mavrik irons.

December 27th I asked my boss where I should invest some money I received for Christmas. Jokingly he told me Tesla.......If I would have listened I would be $1,600 richer. That buys a nice set of Callaway Mavrik irons.

At least one analyst thinks that Tesla stock could be heading to $6,000 in the next five years. I don't agree, BTW.

@tahoebum i could see Tesla continuing to explode. They’re ahead of the game by a long shot. And cars that don’t require gas are only going to grow.

maybe not 6k but I would expect it to only go north for a while.

@tahoebum i could see Tesla continuing to explode. They’re ahead of the game by a long shot. And cars that don’t require gas are only going to grow.

maybe not 6k but I would expect it to only go north for a while.

We were fairly early adopters by buying a Tesla 5 years ago but for some irrational reason, the stock has always scared me. It's not rational but I'd rather park my money elsewhere and I'll likely be proven wrong over the next few years. I have a good buddy in California who has made a killing on it by buying it back in 2013 for about $30 and it will be the main reason he retires soon. He loves to give me a hard time for not listening to him when he tried to convince me to buy it. :)

The year is 2000 and I’m a Mac-lover with some extra nickels to invest. I’m down to Microsoft and Apple. My typical MO is buying/holding blue chip stocks. As you probably guessed, I bought MSFT and still own it today. I’ve run the return numbers and they’re mind blowing. You win some, you lose some.

Medtronic was one of my first buys and that one did ok. Still own it. Enron...not so much.

Meh, my investment strategy is pretty simplistic. Invest in index funds vs individual stocks. Our investment firm has a mix of index funds, bond funds, and international funds. No way I'm blowing the roof off, but at the same time, it's consistent and predictable growth with little downside risk

The year is 2000 and I’m a Mac-lover with some extra nickels to invest. I’m down to Microsoft and Apple. My typical MO is buying/holding blue chip stocks. As you probably guessed, I bought MSFT and still own it today. I’ve run the return numbers and they’re mind blowing. You win some, you lose some.

Medtronic was one of my first buys and that one did ok. Still own it. Enron...not so much.

Yep, and we all got wiped out in the crash of 2008/09. It was scary for us because we jumped into the market pretty heavily in May of 2008 with a new financial advisor. We were 43 at the time and 6 months later we were down over 50% and thinking we were likely too old to recover from being down that much. We fired our advisor but left most everything invested in some individual blue-chip stocks and the S&P 500. Today the market is up about 500% since the low in March of 2009 which not many were predicting back then.

We were fairly early adopters by buying a Tesla 5 years ago but for some irrational reason, the stock has always scared me. It's not rational but I'd rather park my money elsewhere and I'll likely be proven wrong over the next few years. I have a good buddy in California who has made a killing on it by buying it back in 2013 for about $30 and it will be the main reason he retires soon. He loves to give me a hard time for not listening to him when he tried to convince me to buy it. :)
I have some invested in a few different stocks. It’s not much but I’m always trying to find the next Apple. I had one stock, can’t remember the name but the company produced modular homes. It was up and down for a while before I sold it albeit with a small profit. It’s tripled in value since then. Ha.

Yep, and we all got wiped out in the crash of 2008/09. It was scary for us because we jumped into the market pretty heavily in May of 2008 with a new financial advisor. We were 43 at the time and 6 months later we were down over 50% and thinking we were likely too old to recover from being down that much. We fired our advisor but left most everything invested in some individual blue-chip stocks and the S&P 500. Today the market is up about 500% since the low in March of 2009 which not many were predicting back then.

I’ve only fired one advisor, so far. I appreciate market risks but paying them X and then losing money faster than the S&P index. Nope! Also didn’t appreciate when I asked a question after doing some homework and the a$$clown/advisor suggested leaving that to the pros. Bye Felicia!

Another quick buy and hold story. My Grandparents started buying 3M in the early 60s. The shares outlived (i.e. distributions) my grandma by 15+ years.

I’ve only fired one advisor, so far. I appreciate market risks but paying them X and then losing money faster than the S&P index. Nope! Also didn’t appreciate when I asked a question after doing some homework and the a$$clown/advisor suggested leaving that to the pros. Bye Felicia!

Another quick buy and hold story. My Grandparents started buying 3M in the early 60s. The shares outlived (i.e. distributions) my grandma by 15+ years.

3M was certainly one of the best stocks to own in the 60's through 1980's. I grew up in the shadow of the 3M HQ and we had many neighbors who worked there. I wound up spending most of my career with them and retired in 2018 after over 20 years.

Last edited:
Grandparents lived on Lake Gervais in Little Canada. I received 3M stock for most birthdays, Christmas, graduations, etc. Currently working on a project with them.

I've been following Apple stock closely for 20 years and they just had another amazing quarter.

I REALLY need a DeLorean right about now.

Yes and yes. I have a good pension from work. In addition an aggressive 401k for the time being. California real estate is probably the best and most lucrative investment. My wife and I are planning to retire in 7 years. Well I am. She is going to work 2 years beyond me. Her company will cover our insurance for 3 years after she leaves so that gets us through. I’m not stock market whiz so I don’t play on my own.

Grandparents lived on Lake Gervais in Little Canada. I received 3M stock for most birthdays, Christmas, graduations, etc. Currently working on a project with them.

Lol, I know Lake Gervais. Back in the early 90’s I worked at the Audio King store next to Maplewood Mall and spent many a night at Hoggsbreath. I grew up south of Hudson Wisconsin on the St. Croix river and it seemed like half of my neighbors worked at 3M.

NVDA has been a wide ride but the current trend is a friend. Up $19.01 today. ?

2D9B3572-13B3-46D3-B051-F27B3733A9C4.png

I am close to paying off all debts (except the mortgage and one modest car payment). When I do, I will have a sizable chunk of income every month to divest into my family's lifestyle.

I intend to upgrade the house and take on a slightly larger mortgage, I will always maintain one car payment (trying to avoid 2 car payments)

Beyond that, Im considering getting into some investing beyond my 401K and cash savings budget.

Any advice on some reading/studying I can do to learn more about investing? Not sure if I want to try my hand at day trading or invest with a financial planner of some sort. Perhaps there are options I havent considered.

I put whatever money I *can’t* afford to lose into hands-off Vanguard funds (some index, some managed). Then a small amount I can afford to lose into a day trading/options/speculating account.

For the latter style of investing, read about position sizing and risk management. Don’t read anything that promises a system, signals, indicators, training.

Which way did you go with this? Did you find anything to read? I'd be curious to know

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Had my first review meeting with my financial advisors since signing on with them last summer. My portfolio is beating the weighted average of the various indices, the investment guy's logic made lots of sense, and he didn't pretend to have all the answers. And it is not at all what I would call an aggressive portfolio, so I think it would weather a bear market quite well.

I'm in my early sixties, my employer has undergone major ownership and management changes in the last year, and I can't find anyone over fifty among the senior leadership. My plan has been to work for probably another three years to retire the debt mostly built up during my seven lean years at a startup, so I asked their planning guy what would have to change if my employer chose my retirement date and told me it was today.

His answer surprised me. He said I could retire at any time between now and my targeted retirement date, and his strong recommendation is that we refinance our home with a thirty year mortgage to pay down all of the remaining debt - when would be my choice, but he recommends we do it sooner rather than later. We ran through the pre- and post-retirement numbers, post-tax, and the increase in cash flow is so staggering my wife and I are seriously considering refinancing and retiring in the next 12-18 months. The idea of owning our home free and clear in retirement is appealing and a hard paradigm to abandon, but the numbers could well have us thinking otherwise.

So, I'm pleased I turned things over to them and their guidance and perspective is well worth what I'm paying.

I love what I do, but I work to live and not the other way around, Plus, I have seen way too many people whose active retirement is way too short, not to mention some who never got there at all.

Decisions, decisions.

Had I become a more disciplined saver earlier, I would have had more than enough in my retirement plans to have left the workforce by now.

Back