Stock Market & Retirement Planning

@Stribs Thanks for the great reply! I too looked at day trading penny stocks, but was more than I wanted to do. I am very new at this. I have been using robinhood, because of the easy user interface. Webull seems to complex for my current level of knowledge, but need to learn to read charts. So that is goal of mine. I also have a older TD Ameritade account.

I am following a couple groups on social media ... I know its not the best way, but when clueless, and I have picked out a couple of diamonds ... currently I am up about 45%, but realize that could be down 45% in a blink of an eye. Since I am just "playing." I limit my stock investments to $50, with most being around the $20 range.

Swing trading seems to fit my time commitment at the moment, just trying the lingo. I am always open to learning!

One thing I have learned, is I could never do this for a living, or with money I was depending on, I would be stressed to the max ... that's why professionals manage m "money."

I bought a few stocks in March and the short term results are sweet. I'm a long term buy and hold guy so there's lots of time for things to change. March additions include Humana, Steel Dynamics, Kroger, and Nvidia. I should have bet the farm on Nvidia (famous last words). That stock is not for the faint of heart but it's on fire at the moment.

all the way up recently, so I'm thinking of throwing some more money. By the way, speaking of money, in fact, I'm seo and smm marketer and I know how it all works. In my spare time I prefer to take some online surveys for money. It seems to be really enjoyable and simple part time job when you need extra money. I usually find all necessary info on yourmoneygeek.com. The best site speaking of the detailed explanation of the whole process of earning money without making an effort.

Last edited:
Hard to not have all or some of the FAANG stocks(Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netfllix, Google) in your portfolio. They have been leading the recovery this year. I've always been afraid of Tesla stock but I wish I owned some as it has been crazy good this year.

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 7.53.11 AM.png

Hard to not have all or some of the FAANG stocks(Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netfllix, Google) in your portfolio. They have been leading the recovery this year. I've always been afraid of Tesla stock but I wish I owned some as it has been crazy good this year.

View attachment 8956522
Let me preface this by saying I'm not a broker and I'm not giving advice...
For those that can't invest directly in individual stocks (for a 401K or similar company offering), I've found that OTC K (Fidelity fund) is a pretty good alternative to the FAANG investments. OTC K has come on strong since March sitting at 22% gains for the year. The top 10 holdings for OTC K are:
MICROSOFT CORP
APPLE INC
AMAZON.COM INC
ALPHABET INC CL A
FACEBOOK INC CL A
ALPHABET INC CL C
TESLA INC
STARBUCKS CORP
RELIANCE INDUSTRIES LTD(DEMAT)
LULULEMON ATHLETICA INC

opened a roth IRA and set up automatic deposits every paycheck. Still waiting for it to reach $2500 so I can start investing.

Save, Save, Save!! My mom sent me a statement from a fund she started for me back in 2003 w/ $600. Never added anything to the fund. Went and looked and it’s now valued at $2,200.

Save, Save, Save!! My mom sent me a statement from a fund she started for me back in 2003 w/ $600. Never added anything to the fund. Went and looked and it’s now valued at $2,200.

Save early and often. If you invest in something like a Netflix, Amazon, or Apple you can make a small fortune. Apple in 2003 was at a buck a share split adjusted so $600 spent on it back then would now be worth $276,000 not including the dividends.

Save early and often. If you invest in something like a Netflix, Amazon, or Apple you can make a small fortune. Apple in 2003 was at a buck a share split adjusted so $600 spent on it back then would now be worth $276,000 not including the dividends.
It’s not about trying to hit the home runs for most. Invest. Save. & w/ some solid strategy double that $$$ every 6-8 years.

It’s not about trying to hit the home runs for most. Invest. Save. & w/ some solid strategy double that $$$ every 6-8 years.
I mean, if that's your goal, then great. I think that is aiming a little low.

I bought some AAPL in 2017 and it's over tripled since then and looking at a 4:1 spilt later this month.

I mean, if that's your goal, then great. I think that is aiming a little low.

I bought some AAPL in 2017 and it's over tripled since then and looking at a 4:1 spilt later this month.

Congrats and enjoy your retirement!! Well done!

I understand it’s speculative and very dependent on each couple.
in the US, what amount is required at retirement for a couple to live a comfortable retirement?

I understand it’s speculative and very dependent on each couple.
in the US, what amount is required at retirement for a couple to live a comfortable retirement?
I think defining what is considered comfortable is required. Different folks have different levels of what retirement income looks like. Those that spend 5-10 grand a month average won't be comfortable with 2 grand a month.

A lot of advisors say it takes 1-2 million, yet truth is there are untold thousands that live on peanuts compared to that. As a matter of fact, I don't know any retirees in my rural country area that retired with a million dollars when they retired. I am still waiting to meet one.

Agreed. Lots of great stocks but most investors are better off buying an index fund or several of them. Very few financial planners will beat the S&P 500 over a couple decade time frame. I’m starting to take about 5% of our portfolio and taking a chance on some higher risk stocks.

Last edited:
To Luchnia
Thanks for the info.
i would also assume no debts , own your own home and vehicle etc....
Given that I believe the cost of living, particularly out of the main cities, is relatively low to other countries,
the 5-10 grand would appear to cover a wide spectrum of lifestyles 🙂

that doesn’t impact your value though

Right. Not until it starts to gain from the split price. Then, the sky's the limit.

There's no mathematical difference pre and post-split in terms of your value. There are certainly factors that appeal to behavioral finance, specifically, the price being more appealing and accessible to retail investors. Another benefit is an increased amount of liquidity, which should point towards a premium.
Exactly. I'm not sure what your initial point was. Everyone knows that 400x10 = 40x100.

Exactly. I'm not sure what your initial point was. Everyone knows that 400x10 = 40x100.

I got the impression that you thought the split itself would be an accelerant of value.

Just saw Tesla is more valuable than Walmart. :eek:

Back