Stock PW vs. Aftermarket PW

Lukey719

Reaction score
Handicap
I looked and didn't see another thread talking about this. Do most of you just stick with the PW that comes with your set or do many of you buy a 48 degree wedge like the Titleist or Cleveland? I have never actually bought a 48 degree wedge and just use the ones that come with my irons like my MP68's, but what do you fellow hackers think about this situation? What do you do?

I've always used the PW that comes with the set.

A 48* wedge for my set would leave a HUGE gap between 9 iron and wedge. I use the stock PW

Typically use stock but have started to show some interest in the Cleveland Niblick line. Not sure if it will ever replace by PW as I only have the 56 now....but may pick up a 49 or 42 down the line.

Edited to also add that a 48 is closer to my gap wedge. GW is 49 in my set and PW is 44.

I'm keeping my stock 46 degree PW from my set because I still consider it a distance club. Right now, I only feel like aftermarket clubs come into play when I'm not hitting full shots... mostly because I fail at hitting full shots with MB wedges.

A 48* wedge for my set would leave a HUGE gap between 9 iron and wedge. I use the stock PW

I have never hit a 48* of any kind. Is the distance difference that big between the stock PW and say a Vokey?

I have never hit a 48* of any kind. Is the distance difference that big between the stock PW and say a Vokey?

It depends on what the lofts are in your irons.

My stock PW is 47* so there is hardly a difference. I am actually really surprised to see some PW's nowadays at 44 and 45*

My stock PW is 47* so there is hardly a difference. I am actually really surprised to see some PW's nowadays at 44 and 45*

I am surprised as well to see PW's go to the 44 and 45. I believe mine is 47 or 48 so I don't think there would be too much of a difference with me either.

Stock for me. I like having a couple of wedges matched to my irons for full shots.

Edit; My PW is 46 degree

Last edited:
Definitely keeping the stock PW, even thinking about switching to a standard GW instead if of the MB. Full shots with the 52* can spin too much.

My Diablo Edge PW is 44*. I bought a used Adams A2 48* PW and have been using it lately but I am considering buying the Diablo Edge AW which is 49* if I remember correctly. Would be nice to have it match my set.

Some folks might even say that the stock PW in your set is the equivalent of what used to be the 9i.

I use the PW in my set as just a distance alternative like any of the other short irons in the set.

Some folks might even say that the stock PW in your set is the equivalent of what used to be the 9i.

Some might also say that fairway woods are not wood too.

My stock R9 stock PW is 46*. I also have the AW which is 50*. I think this is a good gap combo. I think if I ended up getting new wedges I would like to have similar lofts in these areas. I am money with my AW at 100 yds and the PW is right on at 115-120. I can usually handle any yardage around that point too. I think if my set didn't offer the wedges I would go out and purchase other ones, but if they offer it I will buy it.

stock 44° PW and stock 49° GW... Cleveland CG15's at 54° and 58°

But it is such a pet peeve of mine to hear Miller call them Fairway Metals.

Oosterhaus and Kostis do this too sometimes and I hate it. I call it a wood, period. A driver is a driver, whether made of wood or metal, and a fairway wood is a wood whether it is actually made of wood or not. Irons are not made of just plain iron anymore either. We don't call it a 6 tungsten insert. It is just a 6 iron.

My irons and wedges are identical in most ways. But I think a 48 is a good tool to have with all of the stringer lofted pws out there.

For me, I just stick with what comes in the set. I won't use a PW for much other than a normal approach shot so I prefer it to be similar as the other clubs. It's just another club to hit a variety of distances. If I can get a GW the same as the regular set, I will do that as well. I don't need a specialty club to use from the fairway, I would rather have the consistency through the set.

I use the standard 45* PW and 50* Gap in my set. CG 15 in 56* and 60*. My irons (CB2's) are new and now that I am comfortable with them, I have a significant gap between the 50 and 56. Contemplating going 54 and 58 with the wedges.

Have stuck with the stock PW

Back