gabuzo

Reaction score
Handicap
With the new drivers, fairway woods and hyrids hitting the market with stock shafts from the likes of Fujikura, Miyazaki ect.. Is it really necessary to get fitted for a custom shaft from the same companies? If a golfer tries these clubs out at say Golf Smith, or Golf Galaxy in their cage and it feels good why get fitted?

With the new drivers, fairway woods and hyrids hitting the market with stock shafts from the likes of Fujikura, Miyazaki ect.. Is it really necessary to get fitted for a custom shaft from the same companies? If a golfer tries these clubs out at say Golf Smith, or Golf Galaxy in their cage and it feels good why get fitted?

You need to be fitted to be sure you are getting everything out the club possible. If anything is off, you could be leaving something on the table so to speak or it could be hurting you if something is off.

While these are better shafts thye still might not be the right one for you. Say you need a different flex code in the Miyazaki. Maybe the Fuji isn't the best shaft for your swing and an RIP or NV is better. Would you not be upset to find you could have picked up better control and 5-10 yards in distance.

I also like the idea of being fitted by a custom fitter and not at a big box store. You have to remember the store people are trying to sell you something. There are many threads here about the subject and fitters/fittings.
I also like to hit outside if possible to see what is really happening with the ball and that is not something you can do at Golfsmith/Golf Galaxy. My fitter does everything indoors first and then outside once chnages have been made so you can really see the results. I go through a fitting every year or two at the most and have all of my clubs cheched then to make sure nothing has changed in loft, lie etc.

Thanks guys, I was custom fit a year ago with my driver. It is an R9 supertri and they put me in a grafite design YS6 they said the clubhead weight was D2. I was wondering.., I have a Calloway FT 3 wood the clubhead weight on this is D2 as well. could I go to one of the big stores and have them put a YS 6 in this and have it perform as well as the Driver? By the way the club fitter put me in a 47.5 inch shaft for my driver. I couldn'y control it so I cut 1 in off and it works great now.

Thanks guys, I was custom fit a year ago with my driver. It is an R9 supertri and they put me in a grafite design YS6 they said the clubhead weight was D2. I was wondering.., I have a Calloway FT 3 wood the clubhead weight on this is D2 as well. could I go to one of the big stores and have them put a YS 6 in this and have it perform as well as the Driver? By the way the club fitter put me in a 47.5 inch shaft for my driver. I couldn'y control it so I cut 1 in off and it works great now.

There is a lot of guys here a lot more qualified than I am. The site teaching pro (amollerud) could really help you out I would say. You might PM him and make him aware of this thread in case he misses it.

I've always wondered I see people with custom shafts in their hybrids and woods, how do I know if I need a new shaft in them?

I've always wondered I see people with custom shafts in their hybrids and woods, how do I know if I need a new shaft in them?

It really come down to frist getting fit and finding out what your swing does and what type of shaft maximizes your swing. High launch, mid launch, high spin low spin etc. then look at shaft woth thos characteristics.

Getting fitted will maximize the potential of the equipment within your abilities. It will pay off on the scorecard.

You raise a good question. There are a ton of shafts out there. It's not possible to try every one on the market. In addition, some exotic shafts cost hundreds of dollars, if not close to $1,000.

Also, if you are getting great numbers/results on a stock shaft it might be the right shaft for you.

You raise a good question. There are a ton of shafts out there. It's not possible to try every one on the market. In addition, some exotic shafts cost hundreds of dollars, if not close to $1,000.

Also, if you are getting great numbers/results on a stock shaft it might be the right shaft for you.

Shafts are like everything else. You can find a shaft that fits your swing and your budget pretty easily. No need for a $1000 shaft. Its like owning a $1000 putter or a $60,000 car.
If your getting good numbers with a stock shaft, there is really no reason to change. I have a stock shaft in my hybrid and 3 wood and my numbers were perfect. There is no standard in shafts either from OEM to OEM.

If you're getting good results with your stock shafts than getting fit will probably get you marginal results. You should have a pretty good idea if your existing clubs are working for you or not. If you're buying new and are going to spend some cash it would be worth spending the extra dollars to get fit.

Back