dwchockey13

Reaction score
Handicap
8.3 GHIN
Thanks Freddie for doing this today!!!!
I have a problem "blocking out" as beags put it? I'm hitting the driver dead center almost every time, but the ball goes straight about 20 feet and then makes a hard right run into the trees. From what war eagle was saying is I'm not following through with my hips (he and mike dean might be able to chime in exactly what I'm doing wrong) I don't really know why or how I'm doing it. Any tips to make sure I'm finishing the swing movement in my hips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so is it a block, or a slice? does it start on a line and not curve off that line, or does it have a shape to it?

Another thing to add to what beags and 441 said is you tend to cut off your swing with the driver and have little to no follow thru.

Another thing to add to what beags and 441 said is you tend to cut off your swing with the driver and have little to no follow thru.

so is it a block, or a slice? does it start on a line and not curve off that line, or does it have a shape to it?

What Emart said^ anyone I played with at club clash can chime in as they saw it in full effect (unless off the deck which somehow worked for me) sometimes it has a shape and makes a massive curve, other times it's dead straight... To the right, the driver is one of the only clubs that I do this with though. Everything 5w down goes straight for me and I play them well. The driver I'm just really struggling with

What Emart said^ anyone I played with at club clash can chime in as they saw it in full effect (unless off the deck which somehow worked for me) sometimes it has a shape and makes a massive curve, other times it's dead straight... To the right, the driver is one of the only clubs that I do this with though. Everything 5w down goes straight for me and I play them well. The driver I'm just really struggling with

Sounds like you have two problems - a path that is too far right, and at times a face that is open to that path.

But be sure you are hitting the face dead center (foot spray, face tape, etc.) because the blocked shot off the heel will cause a push fade/slice. Which could potentially eliminate the face to path concern.

Sounds like you have two problems - a path that is too far right, and at times a face that is open to that path.

But be sure you are hitting the face dead center (foot spray, face tape, etc.) because the blocked shot off the heel will cause a push fade/slice. Which could potentially eliminate the face to path concern.

Both at club clash and at home I wipe the driver before hitting so I can see the impact (benefits of having black driver face) and 90% of the time it's close enough to center to have that not the issue, the misses however are close to the heel which can exaggerate the issue. But even center hits go right so that's not my only problem but something I have been looking at.

Both at club clash and at home I wipe the driver before hitting so I can see the impact (benefits of having black driver face) and 90% of the time it's close enough to center to have that not the issue, the misses however are close to the heel which can exaggerate the issue. But even center hits go right so that's not my only problem but something I have been looking at.
Do you have a swing video you can post up?

Also any miss heel side is going to be bad. I'm not sure how you are determining it's close enough to center to not matter

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Do you have a swing video you can post up?

Also any miss heel side is going to be bad. I'm not sure how you are determining it's close enough to center to not matter

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

80% of impact iS in that sweet spot area, not saying it doesn't matter, but it's close enough that it shouldn't be that bad...unfortunately the only swing video I have is old and I actually topped the ball and it didn't go anywhere, I'll get an updated one Saturday when I play with grctampa... I think one of the guys I played with at club clash took a video, sposey or Emart maybe? Hopefully they see this and post it

The R15 (while better than the SLDR) isn't exactly a forgiving driver and I've found that they produce more gear effect for me than other model heads with shots off the heel or toe. If you get any part of your contact on the scored lines on the heel of the driver you are likely getting some gear effect.

I'm not suggesting you are, just giving you food for thought on how to help determine how much heel is enough to play a role in the left to right spin you see sometimes.

The R15 (while better than the SLDR) isn't exactly a forgiving driver and I've found that they produce more gear effect for me than other model heads with shots off the heel or toe. If you get any part of your contact on the scored lines on the heel of the driver you are likely getting some gear effect.

I'm not suggesting you are, just giving you food for thought on how to help determine how much heel is enough to play a role in the left to right spin you see sometimes.

That could be it as sometimes it's scored lines, I noticed that hitting the M1 at club clash and my dads Cleveland black did help eliminate some of the fade/slice on off center hits, but still have the issue blocking out

we definitely want freddie to chime in, but i'll throw out my $0.02 for you.

i agree with -crw- that you have a path issue and a face issue.
the block is happening when the face and path are squared up, but the path is open to the target.
if the ball starts right then curves farther right, the path is the same as the block mentioned above, but the face was left open to that path. this could be a number of things. for me, that right-going-right shot happens when i get out of sync and i either let the club get too far behind me and/or my upper body gets in front of the ball moving into impact instead of staying centered while my lower body works toward the target.
if the ball starts at the target then curves away to the right, the path is left and the face is square, OR you are missing the center of the face which makes diagnosing path or face very difficult.

we definitely want freddie to chime in, but i'll throw out my $0.02 for you.

i agree with -crw- that you have a path issue and a face issue.
the block is happening when the face and path are squared up, but the path is open to the target.
if the ball starts right then curves farther right, the path is the same as the block mentioned above, but the face was left open to that path. this could be a number of things. for me, that right-going-right shot happens when i get out of sync and i either let the club get too far behind me and/or my upper body gets in front of the ball moving into impact instead of staying centered while my lower body works toward the target.
if the ball starts at the target then curves away to the right, the path is left and the face is square, OR you are missing the center of the face which makes diagnosing path or face very difficult.

Thanks, yeah more often than not its straight -going right- going farther right. It's disheartening enough that I just don't want to hit driver anymore, as its ballooning my score and causing a lot of lost golf balls

Here ya go.
You have an over the top swing and then flip at the end.
Couple that with weight shift falling back and it leads to less of a block right, and more of a slice.
The block right is coming because of your weight shift falling backwards and your impact being at a point where you are reaching and the club is open. The over the top move is causing a fade/slice because impact is more of a "glancing blow" creating side spin coming from outside to inside.

This is why when you catch one and it goes dead straight and for miles, it is almost always dead left. You are looking at it and saying its where I aimed, because you are trying to play the fade, but in reality its going left of that. Its because you are catching one square, rather than glancing while still coming over the top.

How do I know all of this? Because I do all of it and saw it for years and I can guarantee they are the issue as I have seen you play multiple times.
Best fix? See a professional and work hard on the range to fix the over the top move. It will pay off in years of dividends but wont fix itself. It will take 2-3 lessons and a couple of months working on it on the range. Sometimes its easier to say "I just want to play", but in this case if you want to fix it, back off the playing multiple times per week until the move is ingrained. You will be happy you did.

Thanks Freddie for doing this today!!!!
I have a problem "blocking out" as beags put it? I'm hitting the driver dead center almost every time, but the ball goes straight about 20 feet and then makes a hard right run into the trees. From what war eagle was saying is I'm not following through with my hips (he and mike dean might be able to chime in exactly what I'm doing wrong) I don't really know why or how I'm doing it. Any tips to make sure I'm finishing the swing movement in my hips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f6cb81243e20125a5e0ddace265f2078.jpg

The difference between you and them is the squareness of the impact position. They are square in relation to their intended target. It sounds to me that you are right of you intended target line and possibly out in front of the ball as well. This produces that push slice you're seeing especially if you're sawing off your swing at impact.

Try hitting the ball with the back of the left hand. And keep your head behind the ball at impact. This will keep you shoulders behind the ball and help with the face direction. You'll see more power and better direction

I agree he has a path issue. I just remembered a couple times afwcardinal and I noticed he took more of a swipe/glancing blow/cut across the ball with the swing.

Here ya go.
You have an over the top swing and then flip at the end.
Couple that with weight shift falling back and it leads to less of a block right, and more of a slice.
The block right is coming because of your weight shift falling backwards and your impact being at a point where you are reaching and the club is open. The over the top move is causing a fade/slice because impact is more of a "glancing blow" creating side spin coming from outside to inside.

This is why when you catch one and it goes dead straight and for miles, it is almost always dead left. You are looking at it and saying its where I aimed, because you are trying to play the fade, but in reality its going left of that. Its because you are catching one square, rather than glancing while still coming over the top.

How do I know all of this? Because I do all of it and saw it for years and I can guarantee they are the issue as I have seen you play multiple times.
Best fix? See a professional and work hard on the range to fix the over the top move. It will pay off in years of dividends but wont fix itself. It will take 2-3 lessons and a couple of months working on it on the range. Sometimes its easier to say "I just want to play", but in this case if you want to fix it, back off the playing multiple times per week until the move is ingrained. You will be happy you did.

Thank you, and you've seen me play a lot and I've never really truly known the issue and the fix, I do agree it's easier to say "I just want to play" but I hate losing and always want to improve so knowing exactly what I'm doing helps a lot now. Time for long nights at the range with driver only

f6cb81243e20125a5e0ddace265f2078.jpg

The difference between you and them is the squareness of the impact position. They are square in relation to their intended target. It sounds to me that you are right of you intended target line and possibly out in front of the ball as well. This produces that push slice you're seeing especially if you're sawing off your swing at impact.

Try hitting the ball with the back of the left hand. And keep your head behind the ball at impact. This will keep you shoulders behind the ball and help with the face direction. You'll see more power and better direction

Thank you, with what JB and Emart have said, any other tips you would suggest to go along the other 2 I'll work on?

JB says it all much better than I can. I too had very similar problems, and it isn't something that will be fixed with range sessions. I would definitely get in front of the eyes of a pro to get you going in the right direction.

Thank you, with what JB and Emart have said, any other tips you would suggest to go along the other 2 I'll work on?

What type of shot are looking to hit?

What type of shot are looking to hit?

On a general sense? One on the fairway? Specifically I want to be consistent, if I fix the block with pro help and range time and I hit a small fade but it's consistent that's fine I can adjust for it, but currently my shot it just so far right from everything wrong it's unplayable, eventually I would like to get more distance and power out of it but until I can make a driver playable, I don't need to worry about distance, I'd rather hit 230 straight than 280 into the next fairway

i would also suggest the swish drill. flip the club around so you are holding it just under the head instead of the grip, and swing it to make the biggest swish. you must release the club and extend through impact in order to get a good swish; you can't saw it off. hit a few balls with that same feeling and try not to care where it goes.

See where your hips and belt buckle are pointed here? This is what doesnt happen when you push slice. During your push slices, the hips and belt will get "stuck" and not open up like they do here. The feeling of opening them properly is kind of like thrusting your winky dink at your target while still keeping your head behind the ball. I know this was a great swing for you so this is an impact position that you want to emulate.
2b308e335bcdd2e941b24c439154e616.jpg

See where your hips and belt buckle are pointed here? This is what doesnt happen when you push slice. During your push slices, the hips and belt will get "stuck" and not open up like they do here. The feeling of opening them properly is kind of like thrusting your winky dink at your target while still keeping your head behind the ball. I know this was a great swing for you so this is an impact position that you want to emulate.

Yeah that swing worked out, somehow it doesn't translate when a tee is involved. I'll have to keep looking at that to try and emulate ot

Bonus points for using "winky dink"

I want a shirt that says that. "Swing your winky dink!"

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back