Stories from working golf retail

pingman222

Reaction score
Handicap
Slow Play
So i'm sure some of us here have worked in a golf retail setting at some point. I did 2 months at golftown before and spent more money there than i earned. However in that short time i definitely had some interesting customers come through.

one story i can remember for sure was one day a younger guy and his girlfriend come into the store. He says that his gf is going to buy him a whole set of clubs for his bday. I ask about what he likes or a budget etc, and he mentions hes a fan of the new R11 stuff, and there's "no budget".

On the floor at that time we had put together an R11 "package", basically driver to wedge + R11 bag and just took a little bit off for a deal. I show him this and he says that is exactly what i'm looking for, so i say well lets go take a few swings and make sure you like em. We get set up in the sim bay and he starts with the driver. 3 or 4 balls go right off the low toe, and the sim ends up showing 100 yard shanks that are 70 yards off to the right. He tries out the 7i next and can't even get the ball off the ground, ball shanks and hits the walls of the sims and he does that a few times.

After all of that, he turns to his gf and says "yeah i love em"...and $1600 later out of her pocket he's walking out with a new set of clubs + bag. Some days i wish we were on commission!

Back