Straddling the through-line

Straddling the through-line

• Yes, I straddle. It's as important as the initial putting line.

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • No. It's absurd

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

tgtt

Reaction score
Handicap
There are lots of things that drive me crazy with professional golf but this may be my biggest pet peeve when watching. This is when they straddle the potential line on the opposite side of the hole of a missed putt when making their tap in putt.

I think it's idiotic but do you do it?

Last edited:
I am not sure I know what this is, so I cannot tell you if I do it. Will you explain?

Are you talking about when they are tending the flagstick?

I step to the side away from the sun (to keep my shadow away) and back a couple of feet when tending the pin.

If this isn't what you mean, then I don't know!

Rules don't allow you to fix the spike marks while ball is in play so most people do this to be courteous. Once we get rid of spikes 100% then it may not be required. It does make me a bit sad when I hit an aggressive putt and have to hit the comeback over twisted spike marks.

There are lots of things that drive me crazy with professional golf but this may be my biggest pet peeve when watching.

I think it's idiotic but do you do it?

It keeps them from standing in the through line for the next to putt. I know I'd not like it if the person I was playing with was wearing metal spikes and popped a couple bumps in my through line and I missed the next putt because I couldn't tap them down. That would annoy the heck out of me

Would you stand on the putting line of the putts of the people in your group before they putted?

I am not sure what you mean when straddling the through line.

If you are talking about walking on the other side of the hole while people still have to putt then I don't really try and stay off the line. I wear spikeless shoes and usually don't have a problem making spike marks.

It keeps them from standing in the through line for the next to putt. I know I'd not like it if the person I was playing with was wearing metal spikes and popped a couple bumps in my through line and I missed the next putt because I couldn't tap them down. That would annoy the heck out of me

Who wears metal spikes anymore?

Would you stand on the putting line of the putts of the people in your group before they putted?

What?

Edited 1st post...

Seeing as I don't really notice it, it doesn't bother me, and I am not sure why it would

Touring professionals. They also make a stinger pro, which are soft spikes with a metal tip in the center.

Ok, after reading the edit, why is it idiotic? It's just a little courtesy to your playing partners. As it's in breach of the rules to tamp spike marks, wouldn't you like for someone to be thinking about your through line?

Ok, after reading the edit, why is it idiotic? It's just a little courtesy to your playing partners. As it's in breach of the rules to tamp spike marks, wouldn't you like for someone to be thinking about your through line?

There are soooooo many players that go through before that getting their balls out of the hole from all angles. Every square inch around that hole has been stepped on multiple times.

There are soooooo many players that go through before that getting their balls out of the hole from all angles. Every square inch around that hole has been stepped on multiple times.

True, but a lot of those guys will tamp down their own spike marks when they are done with the hole. Especially if they have regular spikes.

Its common courtsey that is often required at the high amateur and professional golf levels. My through-line can be anywhere on a 360 radious of the hole, so it doesn't matter to me! Even if someone steps in my actual putting line I don't get to bothered, since I make very few putts outside of 10 feet anyway!

I'm very confused by this, but I will avoid stepping within two feet around the hole to get the pin out and stepping in anyone's immediate line.

I'm very confused by this, but I will avoid stepping within two feet around the hole to get the pin out and stepping in anyone's immediate line.
Same here I avoid anyone's line if possible.

I weigh 350 lbs...am very careful not to step in anyones line in my group even w/ soft spikes. I am an 8 handicap and play w/ everyone for a 36 handicap (mom ) to a 6 handicap (six4three5). just habit, having been playing since mid 70's when we all had metal spikes

It's a courtesy to your playing partner(s). If someone misses their putt long, and you were just standing on their through line, then they will have to deal with that. Leave a clean line past the hole so the comeback putt is more manageable.

I weigh 350 lbs...am very careful not to step in anyones line in my group even w/ soft spikes. I am an 8 handicap and play w/ everyone for a 36 handicap (mom ) to a 6 handicap (six4three5). just habit, having been playing since mid 70's when we all had metal spikes

For this I thank you pop! You're still pretty light on your feet for being a big guy. Also I give you a lot of credit for knowing how to walk on the green. Most bigger guys scuff of the green pretty good from shuffling around.

As far as the OP goes if I'm not confident enough to make the tap in while avoiding someone's line, I'll just mark it and wait till they're done putting and then take my turn.

I agree I am failing to see the idiocy in not making your playing partner putt through any potential spike mark that I may create or any other disturbance that may unintentionally be caused by me directly on his line. For me this was just one of those golden rules that was ingrained in me when I started playing as a kid.

What?

Guess I wasn't clear in my post. Your playing partners through line is just as important as their initial putt. So if you wouldn't stand in the line of their initial putt why would you choose to stand in the through line of their next putt? Doesn't make sense to me.

To be honest. Not something I really thought about. Nor have i seen anyone really do while I play. Besides, whos to say where the miss will go anyway? Technically if one misses a put its not going to be in line behind the hole or it would have just (except rarely) gone in to begin with. Is one supose to guess where a miss will head and then circumnavigate the possible area? Its one thing to have common courtesy and respect putting lines but Imo some things can just get a bit rediculous.

Here, i coppied something from an older post that i was trying to be funny with but just imagine what we can add to this sarcastic scenario if we also have to worry about the possible misssed putt lines as well. I would be afraid to pull a pin.

It can be tad tedious to simply pull the pin and downright acrobatic.
WHAT A JOB THIS CAN BE

While pulling the pin you -

-Try not to step on a line but in doing so you step on another persons line.

- Purposely hop over a line to a free spot but then realizing at that second the amount of break slope so you now actually did step on the line after all. Then you quickly hop again but where? Right onto someone else's line.

- as you get to the pin, you realize the fourth ball which went unnoticed through the whole acrobatic first scenario and almost step on his line as you reach for the pin but you catch it just in time and step across in a different direction doing a complete split but only to land on one of the other lines you tried to avoid in the first place.

- Now you got the pin in hand and have pulled a hammy and dropped your left testicle. You now have to navigate all over again through more scenarios but also in addition you have to figure where to lay the pin down. In doing so you hop, roll, skip, jump, and backflip your way onto three more lines and end with a swan dive into the greenside bunker.

- You finally lay the pin down, wipe the sweat from your brow, pick up your testicle, and limp on over to your ball with a pulled hammy and sand in your eyes and SOMEONE HAS THE FREAKING AUDASITY TO SAY TO YOU "can you not stand there?"

Now lets add in stepping on anticipated missed putt lines we are discussing here. You basically have to grow wings and fly in order to grab the pin. All a funny make believe scenario but truth is it can just get a bit rediculous.

Last edited:
Tap down any marks left by your shoes and you should be fine. Common sense prevails. As noted by others who are heavier, I am a heavy guy and even in spikeless shoes I can leave impressions in the ground that take a while to rebound.

Honestly, I do not pay much attention to the through line. However, if I do make a spike mark accidentally, I will tap it down (when not in a tournament). I think that is a stupid rule.

Back