Strange family traditions

tomcat

2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
So, for as long as I can remember, my parents have ALWAYS made a Chef Boyardee pizza for lunch on Saturdays. Every Saturday. Without fail. For decades, every Saturday.

That's not something that I've continued as a tradition, but my parents continue having them to this day. I estimate that they've likely made about 2000 Chef Boyardee pizzas in my lifetime.

Is there an odd / different / unique tradition that you or your family had when you were growing up?

Putting a big frying pan on the BBQ on sat. morning and making pancakes

Tequila shots on Thanksgiving.

My wife's family for Thanksgiving and Christmas play a card game referred to as SH*T! And all member of the family have a nickname they earned referring to the way they play SH*T. Of course mine is Dustin the Dick or DTD! Its always fun don't know if its odd, but it brings the family together young and old.

At Christmas my mom always makes a very dense heavy poundcake slightly undercooked to retain moisture. She also makes homemade boiled custard. For breakfast we all have a big slice of pound cake in a bowl with the homemade boiled custard poured over top of it. It's so freaking good.

Golf on Thanksgiving morning...no matter the weather.

My wife's family for Thanksgiving and Christmas play a card game referred to as SH*T! And all member of the family have a nickname they earned referring to the way they play SH*T. Of course mine is Dustin the Dick or DTD! Its always fun don't know if its odd, but it brings the family together young and old.
Is that the same card game as OH HELL?

Start with 7 cards each work down to 1 and repeat back to 7? Play it like spades but with a different Trump suit every hand?

Not sure if strange but we have beef stroganhoff every Christmas eve for dinner and have had for as long as I can remember.

Start with 7 cards each work down to 1 and repeat back to 7? Play it like spades but with a different Trump suit every hand?

Yep every Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course for the kids the game is called Poop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My kid likes to say goodbye to the moon every night. Sometimes it’s out, sometimes it’s not. We’ve been doing it for a bit over a year, every night weather permitting. I’ve had to get creative and see if she wants to say goodnight to the space station too, so we run outside during the few minute window ISS is flying over our area and she says goodnight to them too. That one I have fun with too cause it’s just kinda neat

That’s a really cool one!

Whenever I go shopping with my nieces, we stop in the dress department and find the *ugliest* dresses we can find and try them on. Partly it’s to combat the body image thing (learning that it’s the dress and not you) but mostly it’s just stupid fun. One of the local sales consultants sees us coming and flags us to the worst offerings in the store - Suzette is the best!

Whenever I go shopping with my nieces, we stop in the dress department and find the *ugliest* dresses we can find and try them on. Partly it’s to combat the body image thing (learning that it’s the dress and not you) but mostly it’s just stupid fun. One of the local sales consultants sees us coming and flags us to the worst offerings in the store - Suzette is the best!

That's awesome that you have someone with eyes on the inside to find the "best" ones.

We always had soup on christmas eve for dinner, my dad's family, and it was always chicken noodle, clam chowder and oyster stew.

We did the whole lamb on a spit thing for Easter for many years .. many Greeks may have had this experience too, but one year the neighbors thought that we killed our dog and we're roasting it. Cops came, my dad had to take them to my uncle's to show them our dog was alive and well

I'd love to bring back that tradition actually

Every December my father used to set up an aluminum pole in the family room. At dinner he would remind us about all the things we had done wrong over the past year. Then he would insist that somebody had to try to wrestle him to the floor.

Back