Strokes gained stats.....

titleist981

Reaction score
Lets discuss the strokes gained stats. how does these stats determine who's the best golfers? how are these numbers used to determine the golfers making the most money on tour?

Kevin Na hit every green in regulation butt had 39 putts.
bryson deChambeau was first in SG off the tee and was out scored by Benhard Langer who was second in SG putting while averaging 260 yards off the tee.
Just trying to figure out if these stats are a reliable barometer of how to gage progress.
Someone please explain the system. Does it have merit?

I'm not sure how those lost/gained strokes stats pertain to amateur golfers. Maybe to show what part of their game needs work.

At the professional level strokes gained off the tee seems to be the important measure. Short game stats are important, but not as much.

I think for consistent pay days, and cuts made, strokes gained off the tee works well. That said, imo if the pro golfer doesn't putt well, they might have a huge bank account, but few trophies to brag about.

I don't have any proof, but I tend to believe Johnson's big Masters win was due to the fact he just had the better all around game than anyone else. That, and he made a few nice putts.....lol

At some point you have to get the ball in the hole. That is always true. Players with SG off the tee in general have higher finishes because it results in them getting the ball closer which on most courses (Augusta isn't most courses) results in fewer putts.

I don't remember the exact stat but when Bryson won the US Open he was top 10 I think in some of the putting and short game stats in addition to driving stats. Not only did he hit it far he was very good around the greens.

At some point you have to get the ball in the hole. That is always true. Players with SG off the tee in general have higher finishes because it results in them getting the ball closer which on most courses (Augusta isn't most courses) results in fewer putts.

I don't remember the exact stat but when Bryson won the US Open he was top 10 I think in some of the putting and short game stats in addition to driving stats. Not only did he hit it far he was very good around the greens.
Well, is SG off the tee formulated by length off the tee exclusively or does accuracy have anything to do with it?

Well, is SG off the tee formulated by length off the tee exclusively or does accuracy have anything to do with it?

It's both, more about proximity to the hole. Say you hit a drive and have 158 left to the hole from the rough. The tour data says the average player needs 3.18 strokes from there. If you were instead in the middle of the fairway, it might be 2.94 strokes. I'm making up these numbers of course but you get the idea. So in that case you would have lost .24 shots. The rough doesn't matter a whole lot to these guys with their ability (and equipment) so length is a big part of it.

I'm over simplifying, but that's the idea.

For us hackers it's tougher to calculate because the "strokes needed" isn't as clear or even known.

Back