Struggling with a new to me HOOK and unable to correct.

I played 18 and hit 1 hook but it wasn't a snap, more of a pull. I hit my driver better than ever...go figure.

So there is hope for me :) congrats Quick, I bet that made golf fun again.

Try the mirror-slo motion swings, no ball, really concentrate on set up, alignment, starting that downturn with the hips. or against the wall, no club. No up and down, no sliding
Do it outside, find where the club is bottoming out...I discovered I didn't have the ball far enough back in my stance. My big miss was a chunk, hitting the ground first.

Thank you so much for this, I will try it today! I play 6i and down middle of stance, longer clubs off left chest, and driver inside left heel.

One thing I would watch for is your ball position. Sounds like its a tad bit too far up on all of your clubs.
Hooks, fat shots and thin shots can come from this pretty easily. I would bet you topped a few during that bad round of 18.

Yes I did top and thin a bunch of shots. I play 6i and down middle of stance, longer clubs off left chest (one ball or two from sternum), and driver inside left heel.

I'm struggling with the same thing.You are probably getting anxious and rushing down to the ball and not starting the downswing with your hips. I'm not doing several things. I'm coming outside-in with an open club face. I think most of it is my setup. On days when my setup it nice, it goes well, but I have a tendency to set up closed and take the club outside.

You are correct I am rushing. I went to the range last night with only 2 swing thoughts, think only about moving lower body and do it smoothly. It helped, flight was about a 2-3 yard draw.
Funny thing is once I hit 5 shots in a row clean, I ended up rushing/speeding up again only to hook it with bad contact.

2nd range session went well'ish. I seem to keep getting into the rushed downswing after a few good strikes. 5i was hitting a bit fat when I tried to take away slowly. I found that I was making better contact and was more smooth when I did a more deliberate takeaway but concentrated on lower body first with smoothness. For some reason slow backswing was jacking up the downswing last night.

The issue now is I have added a 3rd swing thought. I was trying to keep it simple with just think lower body and smooth.

It was nice to see a few fadey shots last night, even though I didn't do it on purpose, missed seeing that ball flight. I can play with a fade, I can't play with a hook.

Sounds to me like you're trying to hit the ball instead of just swinging the club. The comments about the hands getting ahead of the hips are accurate. I've struggled with hooks greatly since I returned from my hiatus almost 3 years ago now. I still hit one once in a while, but I've learned to just swing the club (especially driver) and not "hit" at the ball.

If you've never used one, check out the video below. I've used this thing many times and I actually was hitting it fairly well at the range a couple of days ago. I'd be willing to send it to you to try if you're interested. It's great at slowing your tempo down and teaching you to swing the club instead of hitting at it.

https://youtu.be/pwvclhO3DW8

Sounds to me like you're trying to hit the ball instead of just swinging the club. The comments about the hands getting ahead of the hips are accurate. I've struggled with hooks greatly since I returned from my hiatus almost 3 years ago now. I still hit one once in a while, but I've learned to just swing the club (especially driver) and not "hit" at the ball.

If you've never used one, check out the video below. I've used this thing many times and I actually was hitting it fairly well at the range a couple of days ago. I'd be willing to send it to you to try if you're interested. It's great at slowing your tempo down and teaching you to swing the club instead of hitting at it.

https://youtu.be/pwvclhO3DW8

Thank you very much for the offer, and the tip. Luckily next week the pro is back so I will be able to have my scheduled lesson.

Golf is a funny thing. Played this Saturday with a great group of THP'ers. The hook only showed up a few times, the rest I was hitting straight.

Sadly on the straight shots I was aiming right playing for the hook, so lost a bunch of balls OB still. Also caught a case of hitting many shots fat. This game is so confusing.

Back