Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone game or demo the new 799's? They seem to be similar to the HB Turbos, will be watching the comparisons.

Goodness, those things look hideous!

Yikes. They should’ve picked better blanks from the foundry. :sick:

Man, those are some chunky irons. I really really hope I’m not fitted to these things when I go up there in couple weeks 😂

You guys obviously haven't played the Turbos, Trails or LaunchPads. Must be a small community of fans.

You guys obviously haven't played the Turbos, Trails or LaunchPads. Must be a small community of fans.

I know @Jman has as have I.
These are not in the same ballpark in my opinion.

I’ve played them, and these aren’t in the same realm looks wise.

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking-not in the same league. But, curious. Thx, JB and Jman.

They don't look as polished as the big brands, but I imagine they'll get a golf ball from A to B. The demo program is pretty good at Sub70. I'd hit them and see if it's what you're looking for, unless you're put off by the looks.

While I probably could use something like these, I can’t bring myself to commit to a set of essentially hybrid irons. I hope that their next iteration of the 739s comes in better than that.

It almost looks like those cavities are grooved for proper trick shots.

They don't look as polished as the big brands, but I imagine they'll get a golf ball from A to B. The demo program is pretty good at Sub70. I'd hit them and see if it's what you're looking for, unless you're put off by the looks.

The demo program is only 20 bucks, not bad.

The demo program is great. I actually tried getting a demo of the 799 and was told they wouldn't be available until late 2021. It's still a new product and they don't have enough heads built to release demos.

I’ve said in the past that I could play anything regardless of looks and tell ya’ll three to quite hating... Until I actually clicked the link and saw them.
Ugly is ugly. :LOL:

I’m sure they’ll work as advertised, but these are not Sub 70’s best effort looks wise.

They look like the Slingers from the late 70’s 🤣

I think their renderings look worse than in hand pics. In the pic below I think they did a nice job with this. I thought it looks like a refined Cleveland Altitude iron.
Also I like that the cavity is not painted so it should hold up much better than a non-covered Cleveland HB type iron, Tour Edge Hot Launch/E52/522 and Cobra T rails Irons all of which are painted and get beat up looking pretty quickly (having gamed most of those).

1631642115703.png

I know @Jman has as have I.
These are not in the same ballpark in my opinion.

Have you hit these? Was curious as to why they don't hold up. Not enough distance, spin, forgiveness, etc?

Have you hit these? Was curious as to why they don't hold up. Not enough distance, spin, forgiveness, etc?
Yes. First off, I didnt care for the sound.
If I compare them to the original Altitudes, I think they could be okay. Compare them to Launchpad from Wilson, they actually were better.
When I compare them to some of the latest that have come out, they are behind in my opinion. Which makes sense based on the tech.

Still nothing wrong with a large sole and some good mass.

My Playing partner on Sundays plays Wedgewood Irons.
1631643811739.png
So anything resembling an Iron look to me works.

Back