Suggestions for fairway wood for senior golfer

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm a senior golfer looking for a 5w to replace my current Mavrik 5w. I'm not married to any one brand so I'm open to suggestions.

My Mavrik has a senior (F2) recoil shaft and once again, I'm open to other suggestions.

Last edited:
One of the best choices for Senior golfers, women or anyone with a slower swing speed are XXIO fairway woods. Expensive but very good. Look for second hand or last years models to save a lot of money over new on these.

Cleveland XL Halo line of FW also use counterbalancing. If you can find a 5W at a local golf shop, give them a try.

Is it not doing what you want it to?

Look at Tour Edge. Good reviews here on THP as well.:)

Another vote for Tour Edge. Great fairways, hybrids and the driver is no slouch either.

I’m not quite a senior yet (45 years young) but swing like one.😀 7i is around 140-150, driver 225-245 usually.
I found the ping g425 sft 5w works well. Elevates super easy due to the shallow and stretched back profile and I don’t find it’s hooky at all.
In cooler conditions it’s my 185-190 club. In prime conditions I can squeeze 205 out of it. I had sworn off fairway woods for a while and tried this and it instantly went into the bag. At my swing speed I only need 1 fairway wood and this one fits the bill. I usually play the white tees, sometimes blues and on 90% of par 5’s I’m not getting home in 2 so this puts me close enough.

Also the stock Alta in Reg fits me well. If you are a little slower than me the Soft Reg would be right up your alley.

@ 71 years young, I play a Tour Edge C721 5w with Airspeeder 40 R2 (A) flex shaft I bought last year with the C721 driver. Both are great but that 5w is the easiest hitting, most consistent club I own. Average carry distance between driver an 5w are within 10 yards. I also added a TE E522 7w from their Hot Launch line in December, and is vying for 1st place in consistency with the 5w. If I had to replace that 5w it would be a hard choice between their new E722 with newer design diamond face or the C522 Hot Launch with the 2021 Diamond face used in the C721 Exotics line up.
I have not tried other more known brands, but for the price alone plus a 15% veterans discount, if applicable, it hard to beat.

When you say “senior,” it could create a lot of different mental pictures of the type of player you are. Senior could be anyone over 50, inasmuch as the Champions Tour used to be called the “Senior” Tour. Anyone 50 or over can enter qualifying for our State Senior Amateur tournament and some of those guys are former collegiate players who still really move the ball. On the other side of the spectrum, I play a few times with some guys in my neighborhood who are in their late 70’s and strike the ball quite well, but not very far. I fall right into the middle of the senior bracket and hit stiff shafts, with driver speed of 98 to 101 mph when swinging well.

There are some good suggestions in prior posts. What also might be helpful is if you can provide a little more info, such as what you typically score, how far you hit a driver and 7 iron, etc. All of that having been said, if you are playing senior flex shafts some of the suggestions that I would second are:

XXIO on the expensive side. They are clearly focusing on lighter club designs to help with club speed.

Cleveland Halo products

Cobra Air-X fairways.

I'm 64 years old and put the Callaway Epic Flash 3-5-7 woods in the bag last year with regular flex shafts and am completely happy with the move.

Don’t know what the main problem is... but, in my previous TaylorMade 3w I had a reg shaft... and it was too “whippy.” I was losing shots to the right with a weak shaft. Later, I got a Callaway 3w (with a stiff shaft) and it has been marvelous! AND.... I am a senior! Could it be a shaft problem?

Last edited:
I would recommend the Cleveland Halo Fairway Woods or Hy-Wood. Paired with the Project X Cypher Shaft, they are very good for this senior golfer.

I'm 64 years old and put the Callaway Epic Flash 3-5-7 woods in the bag last year with regular flex shafts and am completely happy with the move.
I have the same setup in my bag. 66 yrs old here.

As someone who’s struggled to hit woods consistently enough off the deck, I couldn’t possibly recommend the G425 Max any more than I do. I have the 3W, 5W and 7W. Although I still struggle with 3W off the deck, I just don’t need it as I hit the 5W confidently. So forgiving and I find it to be very long. Mine all have the stock CB Slate shaft, it’s really stable.

I'll be 66 in May and have a slow swing (driver swing is about 77 mph). I really like the Cally Epic Max Heavenwood with a Cypher 50 gram 5.0 flex shaft. It has 20* in loft, so launches higher than a typical 5w, and with a 4w shaft length it is as long, if not a little longer, than a 5w for me.

I would recommend the Cleveland Halo Fairway Woods or Hy-Wood. Paired with the Project X Cypher Shaft, they are very good for this senior golfer.

Bernoulli, What are the big differences between the Cleveland Halo Fairway Woods vs the Hy-Wood? I'm looking for a good fairway club that is easy to launch.

Back