Sun sleeves - worth it?

KingsKraken

Reaction score
Handicap
High
I know we’re in the wrong season in North America for this discussion, but maybe someone from Australia is reading now.

I have full sleeve tattoos and the pigment in the ink heats up uncomfortably in the sun. Sub block helps, but I have to remember to keep applying it. Sun sleeves seem like an attractive alternative.

Anyone here use them? Do they actually cool as advertised? Have a brand preference?

Thanks!

I live in Arizona and use them during the summer. I bought cheap ones from Amazon and they work well. I am not sure that they cool that much, but they sure keep the sunscreen costs down and work better because I often forget to reapply sunscreen like I should.

Love them. They also keep the sweat from dripping down to the golf glove and getting it sweaty too.

I live in Arizona and use them during the summer. I bought cheap ones from Amazon and they work well. I am not sure that they cool that much, but they sure keep the sunscreen costs down and work better because I often forget to reapply sunscreen like I should.
I echo the above post from SoCal.

I use the ones I own for mountain biking. The ones I use are designed for cooling. simply pour water on your arms...they'll feel like you just doused yourself with ice
water. even if water is the air temp. but on their own do they "cool"? living in a desert sweat just turns to salt, so they are not generally wet for the cooling process to take place. thus the need to add water from time to time.

I don't mind them at all. pretty comfortable and would prefer to not have skin cancer.

I have used them and anytime you can keep the sun directly off the skin is much better.

Thanks, everyone. I had thrown some Nike sun sleeves on the Xmas list I gave to my wife last week. If she didn’t buy them for me, I’ll definitely grab some. I won’t need them until June, or maybe even July, with our lovely PNW grey skies.

It will be nice to not have chemicals smeared all over my skin too.

I have skin cancer issues and I'm getting tired of MOHS surgery. I have a couple of pairs that I got from uvoider.com that I'm very happy with.

I use the ones for biking but when I cycle. The cooling effect really works, I think in part that those sleeves are usually white (lighter than your skin color) and reflect the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know we’re in the wrong season in North America for this discussion, but maybe someone from Australia is reading now.

I have full sleeve tattoos and the pigment in the ink heats up uncomfortably in the sun. Sub block helps, but I have to remember to keep applying it. Sun sleeves seem like an attractive alternative.

Anyone here use them? Do they actually cool as advertised? Have a brand preference?

Thanks!

I've had luck with the Nike sleeves when I've used them in the summer. Down here in SE Texas it can get hot and humid and you definitely feel the sun on your arms. I would go white versus black for obvious reasons and think they worked pretty well.

Yep, I definitely use white ones here in North Texas. Summer rounds they are an absolute necessity.

I am in AZ also and will use them in the summer months. They are comfortable and much better then sun screen allover your arms.

I don't wear them, but one of my regular golf partners has had skin cancer issues and he wears sun sleeves on the course any time he's not in long sleeve shirts. He wears them all summer in the Arizona heat and never complains about them being too hot, so they should be fine for the temperatures you'll encounter in Vancouver.

I've had luck with the Nike sleeves when I've used them in the summer. Down here in SE Texas it can get hot and humid and you definitely feel the sun on your arms. I would go white versus black for obvious reasons and think they worked pretty well.

I have a pair of Nike sleeves as well. The only issue I had with them was that I had to safety pin the tops to make them a bit tighter. The top part kept falling down to my elbows. Guess I don't have the biceps and triceps I used to! I got them because my buddy has had skin cancer issues, and slathers himself with this prescription sunscreen that closes his pores and won't let him sweat. On a hot day at the end of the round he says it feels like his brains have cooked in his skull! But, he doesn't like sun sleeves. Says they bother him. I put mine on, and I don't even notice they are there.

My buddy's Sister found sun sleeves on Amazon that are connected together. The connecting part covers your shoulders and the back of your neck. Also sounds like a good idea, and I'm going to check them out.

I think so. I wear them just about every round these days. I have been though a couple options but I like the cheap ones Ingot from Amazon the best. I usually get at least a few rounds with them before they get dirty or the wrist sticking stayers to unravel too much. When it starts I just clip the threads with some nail clippers. They are thin enough they don’t get too hot but still offer some protection. Hope this helps.

Totally worth it. Changed summer rounds for the better when I started wearing them.

Living in the desert, I wear long sleeve shirts quite a bit. We get well over 300 days of sunshine out here.

Besides my outdoor hobbies, I also spent a lot of my pre-retirement working hours outdoors.

Light colored, cotton shirts work well for me.

Had no issues with the Nike ones I had

Dylan Frittelli uses them because of the cost of Sunscreen. I also forget to reapply, I should think about getting them.

I use the ones I own for mountain biking. The ones I use are designed for cooling. simply pour water on your arms...they'll feel like you just doused yourself with ice
water. even if water is the air temp. but on their own do they "cool"? living in a desert sweat just turns to salt, so they are not generally wet for the cooling process to take place. thus the need to add water from time to time.

What brand are these that you can pour water over for cooling? Need to check these out.

What brand are these that you can pour water over for cooling? Need to check these out.
I’m sure more of them do this. The ones I have are made by Pearl Izumi.

Living in the desert, I wear long sleeve shirts quite a bit. We get well over 300 days of sunshine out here.

Besides my outdoor hobbies, I also spent a lot of my pre-retirement working hours outdoors.

Light colored, cotton shirts work well for me.

Must you brag!

I'm guessing you must live in a low humidity environment to wear cotton in the heat! We get some really muggy weather here in Ohio during the Summer. So much so, that I have rid myself of all cotton clothing for golf in the summer. It soaks up moisture like a sponge! I have rid myself of all cotton golf clothing. It is now all moisture wicking performance fabric! If I need insulators, they can be layered on top.

Back