JohnSinVA

Porkins
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
"1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with the government and its emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific.

Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in Oahu, the Japanese ambassador to the United States and his colleagues delivered to the Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. While this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or armed attack.

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time, the Japanese government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. Very many American lives have been lost. In addition, American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday, the Japanese government also launched an attack against Malaya.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Guam.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands.

Last night, the Japanese attacked Wake Island.

This morning, the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As commander in chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense.

Always will we remember the character of the onslaught against us.

No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost, but will make very certain that this form of treachery shall never endanger us again.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces - with the unbounding determination of our people - we will gain the inevitable triumph - so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, Dec. 7, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese empire."

A truly scary day in history!!

It was a day that was talked about a lot around my office building on 9/11 and for many days afterwards.

We talked about this earlier this morning. It was terrible. A lot of us had WWII veterans in our families but none at Pearl Harbor. We had the resolve to see this through and finished with 2 exclamation points.

This has always been a big deal in my family. My mom's family lived in Honolulu at the time and one of her brothers was at Pearl Harbor during the bombing. It took them several weeks before they knew he was OK despite only being miles away. I heard the stories of the blackouts every night in case the Japanese came. They could leave the lights on but had to black out their windows every night. I took in as much as I could about it but to this day I wish I had listened more.

What's sad is that as the years go by, this becomes less publicized and 9-11 has taken it's place, but this was just as important of an event and should never be allowed to go away in our minds. But as time passes, it just happens, and that is sad.

Hard to believe that it has been 75 years since the attack. I have been fortunate to visit Pearl Harbor a couple of times and the monument is moving. I was also fortunate to meet a couple of Pearl Harbor survivors when I was there and saying "thank you for your service" didn't feel like it was enough.

Thought I would mention that there are a ton of Pearl Harbor shows on this week. PBS, History Channel, Nat Geo, Military, etc. are airing a lot of shows. ON PBS they have the one where they send a remote camera down into the wreckage.

Thought I would mention that there are a ton of Pearl Harbor shows on this week. PBS, History Channel, Nat Geo, Military, etc. are airing a lot of shows. ON PBS they have the one where they send a remote camera down into the wreckage.
Have watched a couple this week...really speaks to you.

USS Arizona passing under the Brooklyn Bridge after leaving the Brooklyn Naval Yard.
USS Arizona - Scientific American 1916.jpg

I was watching one where they had a Pearl Harbor survivor talking to some guys that had the remote control camera and was guiding them through the wreckage. They found a fully intact, of course aged, officers uniform still hanging up in one of
the officers quarters below deck. It was incredible and sad at the same time to see that.

Back