Sunglasses why have them on the cap

Hitsnmisses

Reaction score
Handicap
Question (aside from sponsorship and financial advantage) why don’t more players wear them ? On tour and in general ?

Question (aside from sponsorship and financial advantage) why don’t more players wear them ? On tour and in general ?
I think generally people wear them while walking, but remove for hitting shots especially on greens and reading putts.

I always play with sunglasses. Here in Arizona, the sun is too strong to go without. For the last couple of years I have been using Oakley Flak 2.0 XTs. I tried them with regular Prizm golf lenses but didn't care for them. Now I use polarized Prizm Shallow Water lenses. The colors you see wearing them with the red rocks, green grass and the yellow golf balls I play here in Sedona are amazing. I am not good enough that the polarized lenses make a difference in my putting so the clarity I see is worth it for me.

I do see more and more pros sporting sunglasses, but they don't have anything in common with my game. Most are kids with good eye sight and are playing for the big bucks. As they age, I think more of them will switch to sunglasses as they realize the protection the glasses afford the only two eyes you will ever have.

I guess these are people who don't need glasses to see. I do. Also if you play on poa annua greens it doesn't matter if you even wear polarized lenses because there's no grain.

I think generally people wear them while walking, but remove for hitting shots especially on greens and reading putts.
Yes I’ve seen that constant off / on ,, seems
To me that the eyes have to adjust etc to change in light and glare... little bit counterintuitive ...

I cannot hit a golf ball with sunglasses on. Perception is totally off. I could swing and miss.

I always play with sunglasses. Here in Arizona, the sun is too strong to go without. For the last couple of years I have been using Oakley Flak 2.0 XTs. I tried them with regular Prizm golf lenses but didn't care for them. Now I use polarized Prizm Shallow Water lenses. The colors you see wearing them with the red rocks, green grass and the yellow golf balls I play here in Sedona are amazing. I am not good enough that the polarized lenses make a difference in my putting so the clarity I see is worth it for me.

I do see more and more pros sporting sunglasses, but they don't have anything in common with my game. Most are kids with good eye sight and are playing for the big bucks. As they age, I think more of them will switch to sunglasses as they realize the protection the glasses afford the only two eyes you will ever have.
Iam in Australia, glare and uv and hot temperatures and wind is common in Melbourne . I don’t see ( no pun intended ) the point of not wearing them making it easy on ones eyes as you’ve said only one set ... l am nearly 60 an don’t have any optical issues and never wear anything other than sun :Dglasses for sports and recreation

I always used to wear sunglasses in both summer and winter. Then I got glasses and they're transitions so I'll always have protection from the sun. I've actually been considering getting a dedicated pair of prescription sunglasses.

It really surprises me that we don't see more players on tour leaving them on with how good lens optics are now.

I generally have used the Dark Golf. I always heard the regular golf lenses weren’t dark enough. Right now I have the road black lenses in and I notice issues with them in overcast conditions.

on a side note, I enjoyed play Oak Creek Country Club when I was on vacation 8n Sedona a few years ago.

I've been an Oakley wearer for a long time. They have great optics, but even so I can't stand wearing sunglasses when I'm hitting a shot, just throws me off for some reason. I don't even notice them any other time, but hitting with them on just bothers me. I wear them on my cap, will put them on between shots to protect my eyes if it's windy and there's a lot of dust/bugs/whatever in the air, but otherwise they're up on the cap.

The primary reason they are on my cap is because the sun is out.

Now if I’m smart enough to take them off, great!!!

More than a few pairs have been atomized when I was swatting at bees 🐝 🤷‍♂️

I've been an Oakley wearer for a long time. They have great optics, but even so I can't stand wearing sunglasses when I'm hitting a shot, just throws me off for some reason. I don't even notice them any other time, but hitting with them on just bothers me. I wear them on my cap, will put them on between shots to protect my eyes if it's windy and there's a lot of dust/bugs/whatever in the air, but otherwise they're up on the cap.

So how many pairs you lose swatting at killer hornets, africanized honey bees, etc?

Mine usually die a tragic death due to this. I but cheap ones.

So how many pairs you lose swatting at killer hornets, africanized honey bees, etc?

Mine usually die a tragic death due to this. I but cheap ones.
I've sacrificed several pairs of Oakleys to the Lake Gods, but never lost a pair yet on the golf course. Left one pair in a cart on one of our guys' trips and they "mysteriously" disappeared, but never lost a pair off my head. I wear cheap sunglasses on the boat now, but still my Oakleys everywhere else.

I've sacrificed several pairs of Oakleys to the Lake Gods, but never lost a pair yet on the golf course. Left one pair in a cart on one of our guys' trips and they "mysteriously" disappeared, but never lost a pair off my head. I wear cheap sunglasses on the boat now, but still my Oakleys everywhere else.

Is this a foxhole moment? I hope so, your backyard mostly trumps mine.

Most of my good ones were broken because of baseball coaching. I’d see a hornet and go off, forgetting about the sunglasses on my cap. Ehh.

I wear glasses so I have a pair of clip on, polarized sunglasses that I wear driving and playing golf. Doesn’t effect my putting at all. Because I wear sunglasses anytime the sun is out, I always have polarized glasses

How would you go in bunkers where sand is thrown up an blows in face ?

How would you go in bunkers where sand is thrown up an blows in face ?

Answer: you play stupid and let your league partner throw it in your face and eyes. That wasn’t on him. I was dumb.

The thread more centralised about , why won’t tour players wear them when they are happy to accept cash-for them ?

Cant accept the argument they interfere/ influence / distort vision of the eyeball whilst watching the golf ball etc .They of the high quality and meeting international standards would not affect the view in fact , Visual acuity would improve .

Similarly , frame material is so light it’s imperceptible on the face , granted some metal framed options may be heavier but minimally so ...

Answer: you play stupid and let your league partner throw it in your face and eyes. That wasn’t on him. I was dumb.
😄😁🙈

The thread more centralised about , why won’t tour players wear them when they are happy to accept cash-for them ?

Cant accept the argument they interfere/ influence / distort vision of the eyeball whilst watching the golf ball etc .They of the high quality and meeting international standards would not affect the view in fact , Visual acuity would improve .

Similarly , frame material is so light it’s imperceptible on the face , granted some metal framed options may be heavier but minimally so ...
<shrug> I dunno, maybe they're just not comfortable with them. Or maybe it's some kind of superstition for some of them, golfers are a superstitious bunch. I can't think of any real reason other than those.

Many feel they affect depth perception - not ideal for golf!

Many feel they affect depth perception - not ideal for golf!
I think that is a fallacy , glasses especially like Rudy Project etc actually improve visual acuity, contrast etc. In terms of absolute depth perception , PGA tour players have yardage books and green books , they also play practice rounds so by definition those measurements do not change. Glasses don’t change , it’s more than reasonable to think that the players eye sight may have less than optimal performance , or perhaps happy to take the cash and not do much for it lol

I heard on the news a couple days ago we had 22 cloudy days so far in April so we’ve had very little need for sunglasses golfing, driving, or anywhere else. Luckily that weather pattern appears to have changed a few days ago. I don’t wear them when hitting but I often do between shots and I wear them everywhere else when I’m outside. Recently I’ve been adding a few pairs each year of quality sunglasses especially since my club offers Oakley’s and Maui Jims at about a 40% discount.

Back