Sunglasses why have them on the cap

Question (aside from sponsorship and financial advantage) why don’t more players wear them ? On tour and in general ?
For me I don’t mind wearing them between shots but not so much while taking the shot, especially while putting. I putt way worse when I have sunglasses on. Not as bad with regular shots but I forget to take them off before putting so I just leave them in the car now.

I think that is a fallacy , glasses especially like Rudy Project etc actually improve visual acuity, contrast etc. In terms of absolute depth perception , PGA tour players have yardage books and green books , they also play practice rounds so by definition those measurements do not change. Glasses don’t change , it’s more than reasonable to think that the players eye sight may have less than optimal performance , or perhaps happy to take the cash and not do much for it lol
You’re absolutely right, it’s not correct at all. But the OP asked why don’t more players wear them... many people believe they affect depth perception and may shy away from them for that reason (even if it’s not correct). 😊

I don’t know about sunglasses on the cap. If I did that they would probably fall off at the worst possible moment.

As to sunglasses, I need to wear eye protection. Sensitive eyes. 🤓 I wear photochromic (light changing) polarized lenses, and have 2 pair of more golf-specific sunglasses coming. I want to see if different lens types help me better see terrain variations on greens. I am starting to realize that my poor visual acuity is at the core of my putting woes.

I wear them, I wear the Oakley Golf Prism's the majority of the time

I am very light sensitive so I usually have them on during the rare occasion there is sunshine in Michigan. That being said I often take them off when putting.

I wear Oakley prism lenses with Rx, have to my eyes are to sensitive to the light. And its nice to see. :)

I usually always bring mine but almost never wear them. Sometimes because I forget I have them or because I just don’t need them

I wear them almost all the time when it is sunny. Some old guys I get paired with tell me that polorization hurts green reading. I could see that on a Bermuda green, but on the bent grass we have here I highly doubt that's the case.

I think tour players don't like to look through them when hitting shots but like having them on at times during the round. That would be why they put them on the hat then back down when walking and in between shots.

I wear prescription Oakley sunglasses to play. They are transitions but frankly are a bit too dark even when it is cloudy. I have thought about getting a pair of clear prescription lenses but the prescription lenses are thicker and harder to change.

I especially don't wear them while playing during the summer, as it's a real pain to have to constantly clean off the sweat dripping onto/into them.

I almost always wear sunglasses when I play even if it is a cloudy day. I tend to get headaches on sunny days if I don't have them on. I have never found that wearing them effected my game in an adverse way. My swing is what effects my game in an adverse way all on its own!!

I guess I am used to tinted lenses lenses - moto goggle, mountain bike sunglasses, ski goggle, etc.

I wear sunglasses full time while golfing if the sun is out, and it does not bother me a bit. Putting, full shots, all the time. Depth perception issue is not something that I have experienced.

I have 2-3 pairs for golf. I can play badly with and without glasses!

I take them off sometimes because they get really foggy on humid days, I wear them the whole time otherwise.

I think tour players don't like to look through them when hitting shots but like having them on at times during the round. That would be why they put them on the hat then back down when walking and in between shots.

I wear prescription Oakley sunglasses to play. They are transitions but frankly are a bit too dark even when it is cloudy. I have thought about getting a pair of clear prescription lenses but the prescription lenses are thicker and harder to change.
You should try the prizm lens, I have those and its great.

Question (aside from sponsorship and financial advantage) why don’t more players wear them ? On tour and in general ?

People tend to want instant gratification. For golf, if a player tries sunglasses and the view of the ball while swinging seems awkward, he stops wearing them. I think if more players were willing to try sunglasses for an entire round, instead of just a hole or two, they would become accustomed to the glasses and wear them.
My guess is that an eye doctor would recommend that people playing golf wear sunglasses.

You should try the prizm lens, I have those and its great.
Just for the others who don't have them and are unaware, there are over a dozen different kinds of Oakley Prizm lenses available (both polarized and non-polarized), including two different Prizm lenses that are marketed as "golf" lenses. My current preference is the polarized Prizm Shallow Water lenses.

i sweat too much...even in winter. i have yet to meet a pair of shades that do not slip...and sweat dripping onto the lenses is icing on the cake

I wear mine between shots.
I wish I could get used to wearing them while swinging, but I've never been able to adapt.
Might look at some Oakley Radar's though.....
Optometrist says I need to protect my eyes more after years of surf, snow, altitude and now desert.

i sweat too much...even in winter. i have yet to meet a pair of shades that do not slip...and sweat dripping onto the lenses is icing on the cake
My Oakley Radars never slip, no matter how sweaty I get - but the sweat dripping on the lenses is definitely a thing. I also have a pair of Oakley Targetlines and while they're fine for casual wear, they're slippery customers when things get sweaty. I've had them fall off my face and my hat brim while playing golf, so they don't go out on the course anymore.

Back