BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
I were prescription glasses cause I'm too chicken to have surgery.

I'm in need of a new pair of sun glasses for golfing only.My current pair just isn't cutting it any more.

Thinking of going with Oakley and having them fill the prescription.I know it's more money for their lenses,but I hear it's well worth it.

Trying to decide on the lens color that will help the most

Here are what my options are

Black Iridium Lens: Extremely bright light. Excellent all-purpose lens for sunny conditions. Offers truer color perception. Features an Iridium® coating to reduce glare.

G30 Lens: Sport performance lens for flat to medium light. Rose base with a subtle Iridium® coating to improve contrast and depth perception in blues and greens. Excellent for golf.

Gold Iridium Lens: Extremely bright light. Excellent all-purpose contrast-enhancing lens for sunny conditions. Features an Iridium® coating to reduce glare.

G, what style are you getting? I spent $375 on a pair of prescription Oakleys back in 1996 I think it was and I couldn't wear them. They were M-Frames with heater lenses. The curvature of the lenses messed up my depth perception. I bought them specifically to play softball in and could't even wear them to do small tasks. The DP was so bad that I would come up short for light switches and things like that. Granted that was a while ago, but it happened. Thankfully they let me return them.

BigLefty I would vote for the surgery. I started wearing glasses at 19 and refused to get contacts until I was 30 because I couldn’t even stand watching someone else put contacts in their eyes. Finally got contacts and thought it was the one of the best things I ever did but refused to think about surgery even though my wife had it done and loved it. To me, eyes and lasers just didn’t mix.

That being said, on January 3 of this year, at the age of 37 I got Lasik and it has been absolutely fabulous. Was a nervous wreck? Yes. Would I do it again. Without a doubt! :blob::blob::blob:

I forgot to mention...I had Lasik done in 2006 and like Hacker said, I'm sorry I didn't have it done sooner and I'd do it again in a NY minute!

G, what style are you getting? I spent $375 on a pair of prescription Oakleys back in 1996 I think it was and I couldn't wear them. They were M-Frames with heater lenses. The curvature of the lenses messed up my depth perception. I bought them specifically to play softball in and could't even wear them to do small tasks. The DP was so bad that I would come up short for light switches and things like that. Granted that was a while ago, but it happened. Thankfully they let me return them.

I'm not 100% sure on which frames yet. Their are about 3-4 I'm looking at.
The curvature doesn't bother me.

I also wear prescription sunglasses when I play, they're polarized and really help me see and play in my opinion. Like Lefty though, I think I'm due for a new pair. I have shopped online and found some great looking Oakley models I like but ultimately the cost is just too much when you put in the lenses. I just cannot imagine paying that much when I'm sure I'll lose them or break them.

What about Sundog? I love the Hunter Mahan series, I just wish I could try them on around here somewhere but can't find anywhere that sells them locally. I thought about buying some and taking them to my eye store here and have them see if they can set me up, but that feels like a bit of a stretch to me. We have a certified prescription Oakley reseller here locally so I'll probably bite the bullet when I definitely have to. For now my old ones are holding up good enough.

I had lasik done in 2004 and it was the best 2 grand I ever spent. Not having contacts in makes golfing, diving, etc much much easier and enjoyable. My vision improved to better than 20/20. I wear polarized sunglasses (Bolle) on the course and I see things much more clear without any distance distortion. Might not always find my ball but I can see the flag much better now when against a background of trees. :act-up:

I always wear sunglasses when outdoors, especially when playing golf. I do take them off to putt, but I don't need them for corrective purposes either. I always opt for the brownish lenses instead of the greenish ones just because they enhance the contrast so much better. If I were to vote, I'd go with your last option.

I also wear prescription sunglasses when I play, they're polarized and really help me see and play in my opinion. Like Lefty though, I think I'm due for a new pair. I have shopped online and found some great looking Oakley models I like but ultimately the cost is just too much when you put in the lenses. I just cannot imagine paying that much when I'm sure I'll lose them or break them.

What about Sundog? I love the Hunter Mahan series, I just wish I could try them on around here somewhere but can't find anywhere that sells them locally. I thought about buying some and taking them to my eye store here and have them see if they can set me up, but that feels like a bit of a stretch to me. We have a certified prescription Oakley reseller here locally so I'll probably bite the bullet when I definitely have to. For now my old ones are holding up good enough.

Remember when I said I couldn't find the Hunter Mahan series Sundog's anywhere locally? I stopped by our golf store and guess who's in luck?!

Capture.jpg

The reason I hesitated on getting them online was I wanted to make sure the fit was good, turns out the fit is great and I now own these sweet little shades!!

I wear the Oakley Half jacket in black with the black iridium lenses (prescription) as well as the clear lenses (prescription). They fit great with or without a hat and do not have rims around the bottom of the lens. I actually bought them for my mens baseball games but found they work just as great for golf. A lot of MLB'ers have and still wear them. I got them for $300 a pair with the prescription lens. I also like the Oakley Flak Jacket but some find the style to extreme.
I hope this helps.

Question for all the folks talking about prescription sunglasses:

Why not just wear contact lenses? No need for glasses and you can wear regular sunglasses.

I wore contacts Harry. I hated them. Hated messing with them all the time, I wore them out, but most of the time went with glasses. I wore hard lenses, soft lenses, hated them both. I had Lasik in 2000 and it was the best thing I ever did.

I wear the Oakley Half jacket in black with the black iridium lenses (prescription) as well as the clear lenses (prescription). They fit great with or without a hat and do not have rims around the bottom of the lens. I actually bought them for my mens baseball games but found they work just as great for golf. A lot of MLB'ers have and still wear them. I got them for $300 a pair with the prescription lens. I also like the Oakley Flak Jacket but some find the style to extreme.
I hope this helps.

Could you post a Pic? They are one I'm considering,but I hear the RX part isn't the whole lens and is just a large circle within the lens.Unsure how much of the RX part covers the lens

Question for all the folks talking about prescription sunglasses:

Why not just wear contact lenses? No need for glasses and you can wear regular sunglasses.

I hate contacts due to the overly dry eyes and living here in AZ,contacts will be a royal pain in the dry heat and wind

I've worn Oakleys for the past 12 years or so, starting with M-Frames. While I have about 6 different lens colors for the M-frames, I used the G30 lenses all the time for shooting. I don't think I could stand the color change for golf. I've worn my "normal" sunglasses (Oakley Half-Jackets) for golf, and they're OK. What I miss about the M-frames is that the M's covered well enough that I never saw a lens line. When I line up with my driver and my spine in the correct position, the Half Jackets kind of run right through the ball, which is a bit distracting. I've though about trying the XL's for that reason. My Half Jacket lenses are the plain gray ones (cheapest ones they sell for them). I like the color just fine.

I am getting Lasik in January.....Tired of wearing prescriptions when I play or taking them off totally for other sports...

I have been looking at this company:
Tifosi Optics : Products : Golf

They have a nice transition lens as well..
Tifosi Optics : Technology

They carry prescription as well:
Tifosi Optics : Rx

Edwin Watts carries them if you want to go have a look...

Bama: Take a DVD and/or a VHS tape. Where I did it they could have recorded it for me if I had known.

Bama: Take a DVD and/or a VHS tape. Where I did it they could have recorded it for me if I had known.

Yeah...this place does that and I plan on doing it..
If you look on the internet, the procedure will scare the crap out of you..
but I guess that's why they get paid the big bucks,,,:act-up:

One of my closest friends is an opthamalogist. He practices surgeries on pig eyes. Apparently they are most like human eyes. Did you know that Gasman?

Could you post a Pic? They are one I'm considering,but I hear the RX part isn't the whole lens and is just a large circle within the lens.Unsure how much of the RX part covers the lens

I hate contacts due to the overly dry eyes and living here in AZ,contacts will be a royal pain in the dry heat and wind

G, that's correct, it's a prescription insert. I don't know if that's how they would do those lenses, but that's how they did the heaters I had. If they did do an insert it would be tuff IMO with the SMALL Half Jacket lenses and you would have a very small RX area in the lens. Even the XLJ lenses for the Half Jackets aren't that big. I owned the HJ's too.

G, that's correct, it's a prescription insert. I don't know if that's how they would do those lenses, but that's how they did the heaters I had. If they did do an insert it would be tuff IMO with the SMALL Half Jacket lenses and you would have a very small RX area in the lens. Even the XLJ lenses for the Half Jackets aren't that big. I owned the HJ's too.

These are the styles I'm checking out
Sideways
492460a08e510.jpg

Half Jacket XLJ
48595688099c1.jpg

Flak Jacket XLJ
4995f8c72a30a.jpg

Hijinx
47fa713073f1a.jpg

Bottlecap.I like these,but think it could be too small.I don't have the specs on the len size to compare against others
4a365e77b6c7a.jpg

Hey Big Lefty

Here are the pics. Sorry they are bad, I left my digital cam at the office. I snapped the clear lenses as they are the easiest to see that there is not an insert. The whole lens is prescription. I know they used to do the insert in the M-Frame but both my clear and black iridium prescription lens is fully prescription. I hope this helps.

IMG00029-20090910-2016.jpg
IMG00031-20090910-2017.jpg

Hey Big Lefty

Here are the pics. Sorry they are bad, I left my digital cam at the office. I snapped the clear lenses as they are the easiest to see that there is not an insert. The whole lens is prescription. I know they used to do the insert in the M-Frame but both my clear and black iridium prescription lens is fully prescription. I hope this helps.

IMG00029-20090910-2016.jpg
IMG00031-20090910-2017.jpg

There ya go, Problem solved. I'm curious as to what they run these days compared to what I paid 12-13 yrs ago.

I think I paid $205 for the glasses with the clear prescription lenses and I think $305 for the black iridium prescription lensed glasses. I did buy two frames in lieu of just switching out the lenses as constantly switching them out would wear on the lenses and frame. The black iridium lens with polarization would have been $300 by themselves. I don't do well with the polarized lens anyway. For some reason they give me a headache.

Found this on another site This was the frame I wanted,but was told the Rx was small,but this looks to cover more then the person showed me

xl_rxradar.JPG

Found this on another site This was the frame I wanted,but was told the Rx was small,but this looks to cover more then the person showed me

xl_rxradar.JPG

That looks like the Oakley Radar. I personally found those to be to bulky under a hat. I like the way the Half Jacket and the Flak jacket feel. They feel very similar to one another on my face.

Back