Review Super Stroke WristLock Grip Review

36 holes today. This grip is firmly in my bag for the long run. Struggled a little with speed on a few putts today. Leaving a few birdies short. But I don’t hate tap in pars. That has to do with new putter. Grip has helped my stroke become more consistent. Those 4 footers today were automatic.

I’m putting pretty well right now, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t interested in this! Great reviews guys!

I played yesterday and had my best round putting in some time. +7, which is solid, but especially considering I only hit 6 greens - and it was really all because of my putting. 29 putts with 9 one putts. I made an absolute ton of 4-8 footers, which I never do, and I think a lot of it comes down to this grip. Like @bbutler said, I don't dread those putts with this, I just feel confident that it's going to stay on the line. And also like bbutler, I'm not doing the full WristLock but more of that semi seated in the left palm approach.

This is probably going to be in the bag for a while, and I'm seriously thinking about extending my Piretti 1.5-2" and putting one of these on it. The one thing I'm not sure of is how much of it is the WristLock feature and how much is the diameter/no taper, since I've never used an oversized grip. Thinking about throwing a Tour 3.0 on that putter to compare to the WristLock.

All in all I'm very pleased with this and I think everyone should at least give this a shot if they're struggling with putting, as it could be transformative.

I played yesterday and had my best round putting in some time. +7, which is solid, but especially considering I only hit 6 greens - and it was really all because of my putting. 29 putts with 9 one putts. I made an absolute ton of 4-8 footers, which I never do, and I think a lot of it comes down to this grip. Like @bbutler said, I don't dread those putts with this, I just feel confident that it's going to stay on the line. And also like bbutler, I'm not doing the full WristLock but more of that semi seated in the left palm approach.

This is probably going to be in the bag for a while, and I'm seriously thinking about extending my Piretti 1.5-2" and putting one of these on it. The one thing I'm not sure of is how much of it is the WristLock feature and how much is the diameter/no taper, since I've never used an oversized grip. Thinking about throwing a Tour 3.0 on that putter to compare to the WristLock.

All in all I'm very pleased with this and I think everyone should at least give this a shot if they're struggling with putting, as it could be transformative.
I think the square shape of this putter should get some of the credit at least in my improved putting. Being able to trust that you will hit the ball on intended line is great. Now sometimes that might not be the correct line but intended line nevertheless.

I think the square shape of this putter should get some of the credit at least in my improved putting. Being able to trust that you will hit the ball on intended line is great. Now sometimes that might not be the correct line but intended line nevertheless.

Exactly. I might be an idiot and unable to read a green, but that's not the putter's fault!

I really like the idea of ordering maybe a 36 inch putter and putting this one on it. Also think finding a little heavier putter head with it would be a good fit. Think that's going to happen over the off season. It really works well using it as the mini arm lock.

Great objective writeup. I echo a lot of what was already said in 7p so I'll keep it short. I installed this on a V-line CS and was super excited to try it. Took about 2 weeks and 3 rounds before I cut it off. It just wasn't for me.

- High potential for a repeatable stroke if you struggle with breaking your wrist during putts.
- The seam is very-much noticeable.
- It's not watch-band friendly.
- Putting felt a lot more rigid (that's the point, right?)
- It was difficult to find a balance between the "lock" and keeping my hands/grip loose for longer putts.
- Alignment was pushing right (I'm RH with a traditional grip).
- Easier to control speed for medium length putts.

I wish I leafed through this thread before buying mine. I think that I could have benefitted from playing around with the weight (stroke lab shaft) and possibly an extension. Overall a great idea, just not for me.

Between your reviews and @DannyLe using one at Whistling, I think I am going to dive in and put one together.
Go longer. Got a prototype shaft in to put into either my Sacks Parente or Odyssey #7

I had another good round with 32 putts over the weekend.

@JB have you had a chance to test this yet? Wonder what your thoughts are for an extension or head adjustment might look like.

@KEV looks ready to go! Love that pilot Snoopy head cover btw!

• Appreciation
Reactions: KEV
In hindsight I should have stuck to my original plan of leaving the shaft a little longer to make it play more as a true arm lock. But then the thought came to mind that this seems like it's meant to be a replacement grip for a putter that a person would play at their normal length. I decided to go that direction and am playing it at my normal 34".

Initial thought is that I'll definitely have to choke down so it's playing more like a 32-33" putter in order to get it to lock to my forearm. However, I'm going to try locking in to the nook of my wrist (it is called Wrist Lock after all) and see how that goes.

Once the grip is dry I'll do a little carpet putting for some more thoughts.

I feel like I am really hitting a stride with this grip. 30 putts today and 4 birdies, 2 of which were outside of 10'. My speed control is finally catching up with the excellent line control the grip is helping to encourage, and it's paying dividends.

I still don't know how much of it is the larger, non tapered shape and how much is the knob and longer, semi counterbalance length. I will be putting a SuperStroke Tour 3.0 on my Piretti here soon (next couple weeks) and see for comparison how well that goes. But at this point, it's looking like this could be a gamer for some time.

I played this grip exclusively on a mallet style putter across my entire trip to Mexico. 36 holes, and a whole lot of putting on the range. I ordered my putter 1 1/2" longer to accommodate it and it's perfect. I'm using it similar to bbutler. I'll try to get some pictures on my next outing, but it's an ever so slight wristlock, more of a reference point than anything. I'm using no forward press, but the whole thing just feels really comfortable so far. I won't be switching away from it anytime soon.

I think the Wristlock experiment might be a short one for me. Looking back I really should have kept my putter at a longer length to help it reach further up my forearm.

Playing at the stock length I find it's akward trying to find a way to make it work. Left hand low puts the knob in a good position but I feel like I have to hunch over more. Using a grip with my hands in a regular position is a no go as I really have to hunch over to make it work.

Toward the end of my round I started using it as a regular grip, not trying to "lock" at all and my putting improved quite a bit.

I almost think they need to include an extension with this grip to maximize it's effectiveness. I love seeing that it's working for others and I'm going to give it a little more time on the practice green and who knows, maybe something will click.

Okay it’s happening this weekend. Building up the putter and taking this for a spin.

Okay it’s happening this weekend. Building up the putter and taking this for a spin.

Really interested to hear what you think.

I will be playing again tomorrow with this at an unfamiliar track. Interested to see if almost 2 weeks off and an unfamiliar set of greens mess up my mojo with this thing, because I really had it going last time and I'm feeling confident.

I got a round in Saturday at an unfamiliar course with this grip. Front 9 I didn't have the speed figured out yet and it was real bad...but then the back 9 was substantially better with 15 putts including several longer ones to save my par bacon. I can't really say my thoughts have changed on this grip recently, I still really like it.

I will be installing a SuperStroke Tour 3.0 on the other putter (Piretti Cottonwood II) to see if I get the same success as I have with the WristLock - as I've said before, I'm not sure how much improvement is because of the large grip diameter / non-tapered shape and how much is the WristLock feature. This should help put that to bed.

I've had this for a good amount of time now. I've played with it in at least half a dozen rounds and used it a ton in practice.

I'm just still honestly struggling to figure out a comfortable grip to use with it. I'm constantly fiddling and adjusting where the "nub" fits in my wrist.

If I want to actually wristlock it, I find the only way to do that is to make myself stand up way straighter and straighten my front left arm far more than I usually do. I wouldn't mind that adjustment overall but the problem is...although it locks the putter to my wrist to reduce twisting the face, I find myself far more inconsistent with my putter, because now I can't pin my arm to my body as I once was used to? I'm just not sure how much it's truly helping me? I'm much more comfortable in the left picture vs. right.

IMG_4738.JPEGIMG_4739.JPEG

Using the nub for hand placement, but not wrist-locked in the left picture. Wrist-locked and pressing a bit on the right picture.

I took my older putter out today and did a little fun compare and contrast and I think I'm unfortunately starting to land in the area of the old grip just seems far more intuitive and comfortable to use, but the differences are so marginal that I will probably continue to use the wristlock just cause it's on a newer putter.

Just got the Tour 3.0 installed on the Piretti and plan to do a little comparing to the WristLock this weekend. Should be interesting!

PXL_20210915_230854404.jpg

OK so I rolled both putters on my round this past Sunday and have some interesting thoughts.

Putters Used:
:Piretti: Cottonwood II, fully milled, black PVD finish, 355g, ~33.25", :superstroke: Tour 3.0
:odyssey: Black Series Tour Designs #4, fully milled, black PVD finish, 350g, ~34.5", :superstroke: WristLock

As I stated, I've been wondering for a long time since starting this testing how much of my less wristy delivery was due to the large, non-tapered SuperStroke shape and how much was due to the extra grip length and WristLock knob behind the hands. In now rolling quite similar putters, one with a standard SS 3.0 and one with WristLock, the following things stood out to me on first blush:

1) The WristLock is kinda a tweener size in SuperStroke land. It's not as big as a 3.0, but bigger in diameter than a 2.0.
2) I do believe I had less of a tendency to pull with the 3.0 than I did with a standard grip, but I don't think it's as effective as the WristLock. I did pull 1 or 2 short putts a little too inside which resulted in misses I don't think I would have had with the WristLock. I don't know how much of it is simple extra length vs the knob on the grip, but it does seem to help.
3) That said, I think it's easier to adjust speed control to match the Tour 3.0 than the WristLock. Likely this is more because you're playing the putter at your accustomed length, rather than at a longer length to allow for the WristLock.
Bonus) Not directly grip related, but I think I like the feel of the Odyssey head better than the Piretti. Very surprising...

I am going to play my next round exclusively with the Tour 3.0 to firm up some thoughts, then I'll probably pull the WristLock back in and see if the same positives reappear.

Also, my uncle is currently borrowing the Odyssey/WristLock combo while he visits from out of state, and he should get it back to me next week. I've asked him to let me know what he thinks of it - I'm curious if his experience mirrors mine or not. His initial thoughts after borrowing it for a couple holes Sunday were favorable.

If anyone wants to give it a whirl. PM me and I’ll ship and sell mine for $10 to any thp’r.

I played a round exclusively with the Piretti / Tour 3.0 combo yesterday, and putting was generally pretty good. 30 putts, no 3 putts and I felt like my speed was pretty good generally speaking. However, I did lip out a lot of putts - something like 4 or 5. While I think generally those misses were not bad putts (all but one were outside of 5 feet), I still feel like I have a little bit more of a tendency to pull without the knob and extra length of the WristLock above my left hand.

Also, my uncle played two rounds with the Odyssey / WristLock this past week. He definitely shares my thoughts on the stabilizing potential of the knob and extra length, and said his wrists and hands feel a little quieter as he was using it. He actually is interested in finding one for his putter! We may have another convert!

Put this one back in play yesterday after a few rounds of using the full armlock instead. Putted pretty well and had no 3 putts. While it doesn’t feel quite as stable as the full armlock, one thing I really like is it doesn’t feel nearly as heavy. I still would prefer my putter being about an inch longer for how I’m using this. Also, pretty sure I saw Mickelson is using this like some of us are with more of an armlock rather than wrist lock.

Blast from the past, but I wanted to drop in and say this grip is firmly a part of my putting approach now, and I remain a fan. I've actually changed to more forward press in my setup at my instructor's behest, and it helps the WristLock really do it's thing even better. Now that I'm starting to get speed dialed in better, I am feeling really good about putting and had 27 putts in my last outing. I attribute part of that to this grip helping me stay on line combined with a forward press. Then it just comes down to getting speed right!

Back