Review Super Stroke WristLock Grip Review

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Have you ever seen a putter grip company take the world by storm the way Super Stroke has? Sure, they have expanded to club grips now as well, but their bread and butter are hands down the putter grip, which remains popular both on tour and at the local muni. They have a plethora of options, but their latest might be their biggest head-turner in years. Ever since the governing bodies put an anchoring ban in place, those affected golfers have been working to find ways to stabilize their stroke. Well, the fine folks at Super Stroke have come out with a new grip called the WristLock, which will help those looking for a way to stabilize their stroke.

1-12.jpg

When using the WristLock grip, there are straightforward...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been waiting for this write up, well done. I had my eyes on this Wrist Lock tech because it’s been one thing that is really missing from my grip since I switched. This seems so common sense but it wasn’t anywhere else. I’m all for anything that makes the putting stroke more mechanical, honestly.

I’m going to order one this week to play around with on my non-gamer first.

• Staff
I’ve been waiting for this write up, well done. I had my eyes on this Wrist Lock tech because it’s been one thing that is really missing from my grip since I switched. This seems so common sense but it wasn’t anywhere else. I’m all for anything that makes the putting stroke more mechanical, honestly.

I’m going to order one this week to play around with on my non-gamer first.

So I cheated on it for a round this weekend as a putter search continues....I putted pretty poorly. To the point my playing partner asked where this grip was because I rolled it so well our previous time out. Probably going to throw it back in the bag again.

Still don't know if I like it or hate it. Like I said, it's bound to draw some polarizing opinions.

I really enjoyed this write up. I have worked with wrist lock putting before so was eager to try this one out, but the stitching placement or something around it just felt off.

I might have to give it another go.

• Staff
I really enjoyed this write up. I have worked with wrist lock putting before so was eager to try this one out, but the stitching placement or something around it just felt off.

Thanks. While I agree on the stitching, I don't know where they could work it in since it has to be flipped for a LH golfer. It's either going to be on the left hand placement side or right hand. Otherwise, for some, it would be front and center. Certainly the downside to their style.

This might be the most super stroke thing ever. The main problem I’ve seen with them has been the stitching so I don’t doubt it

So I cheated on it for a round this weekend as a putter search continues....I putted pretty poorly. To the point my playing partner asked where this grip was because I rolled it so well our previous time out. Probably going to throw it back in the bag again.

Still don't know if I like it or hate it. Like I said, it's bound to draw some polarizing opinions.
It’s funny how our playing partners can notice things that we don’t. My main hesitation is that the wrist luck will cause even for the crowding in my golf bag. It won’t stop me from buying it, but I’m already going to curse the added space at the bottom of the bag

Thanks. While I agree on the stitching, I don't know where they could work it in since it has to be flipped for a LH golfer. It's either going to be on the left hand placement side or right hand. Otherwise, for some, it would be front and center. Certainly the downside to their style.

That makes a lot of sense. Although I would argue that RH still makes up 90%, so perhaps going that way.

My curiosity is still why SS hasn't gone with some sort of sleeve that would mask the stitching, especially in an application such as this. It bugged me, but after reading this, I am wondering if I need to give it a go again.

Great review Dean. For reals.

Im so mixed on this. On one hand, I like the concept, on the other hand I think SuperStroke is at times just to the point of throwing things at a wall to see if they stick.

It’s funny how our playing partners can notice things that we don’t. My main hesitation is that the wrist luck will cause even for the crowding in my golf bag. It won’t stop me from buying it, but I’m already going to curse the added space at the bottom of the bag

If it makes you feel better, I never really had an issue with that. But that would be a bit bag dependent.

This is a nice write up especially coming from one who has many leather bound books.
There’s lots of guys here on the forum who don’t like super strokes, personally I do. I like them, I may get one of these just to see what it’s all about.

I really struggled with this putter grip as I putt cross-handed. The forward press the grip also promotes is tough to adjust to, especially if that's not already part of your natural putting stroke.

Great review Dean. Although I have never been a fan of SS grips, the concept of this one intrigued me when I first read about it.

I love the concept, but when I had one in hand at the PGA Superstore near me, I didn’t love the forward-press feel. I opted to regrip with a SuperStoke Tour 2.0. I’m sure this will be a big hit with people looking for that extra reminder or help keeping their wrist quiet through the stroke. But for me, I found myself trying to make my stroke conform to the grip as opposed to the opposite, which resulted in a bit too much going on for me. Perhaps with a long term commitment I would feel different.

Great article Dean, thanks for the write up. It's not a grip I would gravitate towards and I will be curious to see how much this one sells for SS.

This is a nice write up especially coming from one who has many leather bound books.
There’s lots of guys here on the forum who don’t like super strokes, personally I do. I like them, I may get one of these just to see what it’s all about.

I used SS for a long time. In fact, the grip this replaced was a 2014 Ryder Cup 1.0 grip. I switched from them last year because I felt it was time for a change and really found something that I liked better during another review. This one though, with the right putter, could be something I stick with for a bit.

I love the concept, but when I had one in hand at the PGA Superstore near me, I didn’t love the forward-press feel. I opted to regrip with a SuperStoke Tour 2.0. I’m sure this will be a big hit with people looking for that extra reminder or help keeping their wrist quiet through the stroke. But for me, I found myself trying to make my stroke conform to the grip as opposed to the opposite, which resulted in a bit too much going on for me. Perhaps with a long term commitment I would feel different.

Did they have a demo of it on a putter for you to try? I feel like that is going to be the best way to sell this thing

I really struggled with this putter grip as I putt cross-handed. The forward press the grip also promotes is tough to adjust to, especially if that's not already part of your natural putting stroke.
Why does cross handed matter with this? I’m cross handed as well. I’d imagine it would be nice to have it hit the left wrist/forearm but I’m interested in your experience

@ddec nice review.

Question, would you recommend these type of grips only on full face balanced putters or toe hang as well?

Cross handed this grip doesn't do anything for you. The concept is to lock in your left wrist and if you are left hand low that bump doesn't hit anywhere.

I am going to get one and give it a try. Although removing their grips is really difficult if it doesn't work. This isn't a completely new concept but the first from a major player in the grip business. I used to use a putter with the grip mounted so that the back lump faced the hole for the same idea of locking the wrists in place and it worked well for me.

Did they have a demo of it on a putter for you to try? I feel like that is going to be the best way to sell this thing
They did not. They had it mounted to a short shaft in a demo set.

Why does cross handed matter with this? I’m cross handed as well. I’d imagine it would be nice to have it hit the left wrist/forearm but I’m interested in your experience
The grip isn't designed with lefthand-low in mind. In order to "lock" the lead wrist in place, you need to grip the club in a traditional way. Otherwise the grip is basically upside-down, if that makes sense.

The grip isn't designed with lefthand-low in mind. In order to "lock" the lead wrist in place, you need to grip the club in a traditional way. Otherwise the grip is basically upside-down, if that makes sense.

See I still disagree with you on this...but I think that's what this grip is going to lend to and be very user dependant. Moreso than probably any other grip on the market.

When I putt cross handed with it, the notch raises up more towards the lower/middle of my forearm, but still gives me that same left arm lock feel. The more uncomfortable part was finding a consistent place for my right hand, which is why it needs to hit higher on my arm to allow that space.

Excuse the lame spur of the moment illustration.

Left hand low
EFB30277-AC7E-49AA-AB6A-0556FA48CCEA.jpeg

Traditional

77A07F02-7C83-4D44-BF30-FB73DBE227E1.jpeg

@ddec nice review.

Question, would you recommend these type of grips only on full face balanced putters or toe hang as well?

I used a toe hang putter that I was comfortable with and one I normally forward press. I don't think it would have worked well on my old Ping CrazE center shafted putter, but on some FB models with some offset I think it could still be viable.

The "P2" grips out there have been doing something similar for a while. Switched to these last year and the improvement in putting is noticeable. https://proimpactgolf.com/

Back