Superstitions on ball numbers hate 4s snap up the high numbers when I find them

Rummpd

Reaction score
Handicap
Hate # 4s and always seem to play bad with them but love the high numbers and especially number 8s. I have heard somewhere a rumor that in the old wound ball balata days - these were "better manufacturered" (but doubt that was true?) and do know some pros and low handicapers who swear by the high number series (and/or are "repped/comped" for Titliest balls and try to play the high numbers only).

Also, besides #8s, I feel lucky with #7s. I remember one manufacturer used to put 30 plus numbers (maybe they still do but I am pretty loyal to certain brands) and thought that was a nice idea.

What are your favorite and least favorite numbers?

Also I always use a green thick tip permament marker these days to mark my ball -anyone using a very strange color? (One of my friends uses pink and writes Bubba on the ball even though he cannot hit it past anyone but dreams of doing so)

the_paulo

Euro target practice
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 0.5
If I'm aware there's a number on my ball while I'm playing, chances are I'm going to play badly. I tend not to notice. As long as it's round and in one piece, it's good for me.

T0AD

100 rounds in 2020
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Me, too, Paulo. A ball's a ball. I have far more things to worry about in my game. :disapointed:

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Its funny, when I played tennis, I would only play 1 and 2. Now with golf, I dont even think I look anymore.

StLCardsFan

Reaction score
Handicap
>0, <10
If you like a particular number, but don't have it, just black out the number on the ball and write in whatever number you like. I used to do that and would put the number of my favorite ballplayers on the ball. Not many people playing a ball with a red 15 as the number.

Bogey317

SeeMore Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
The only thing that I do is when I get to a new dozen, I play the 4's first, then the 3's and so on.

GolferGal

BOSS
Boss Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
I never really paid attention to the number on my ball but a few weeks ago I was out playing and I looked down and notice the number 22 on my ball. I immediately gained confidence and hit one of my best shots ever. I have always loved the number 22, so it was pretty exciting to look down as see that. However, I will continue to try and not notice the number because I don't need anymore thoughts going through my head when I am playing.

DawgDaddy

Old Coot
Reaction score
Handicap
L.O.F.T.
When choosing a new sleeve from the box, I do not like to play the #3's in a tournament, it reminds me of 3 putts. I find when I actually play the #3's I don't 3 putt any more than usual and really am unaware of what number is on the ball as the way I mark a ball is a huge red or black dot on the number.

Hanks

On the Fringe
Reaction score
Handicap
bOOBs
I never have noticed the numbers on the golf balls I use but when I played tennis I almost always played a Penn 2 if I could help it

mikedean441

6X HOF
Reaction score
Handicap
doesnt matter to me, they all go into the woods or the water the same way

AveB4Life

Reaction score
Handicap
agree with everyone elses comments except that when I find a high number ball I like it because it's more rare. I found a TP Penta #9 the other day that was pretty cool. Furyk uses something like a #58 which would be neat and Justin Rose uses #99. If I had the chance to play anything i'd probably go with a #13

biggsy

Reaction score
I'll play any number. I know several players who are superstitious about it though.

JR

Browncoat Whovian
Reaction score
Handicap
Oddly, I do feel a certain increase in confidence when playing a #1. Stems from an old habit of doing every thing Tiger did (I learned all of my swing mechanics from his book.)

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
I love when there is a high number on the ball. However I don't really pay too much attention to what number is on it.

johndeere10

Banned
Reaction score
Numbers never really have bothered me. I would rather have 1-4 but I won't look through boxes if they have high numbers. I'd use #13 if I didn't have to pay extra to have them made.

blugold

Autobots, roll out!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 or so.
If I grab a 2 and a 3 from my bag, I have to start with the 2. I always start with the lower number of the two golf balls. That's the only superstition that I have.

JConn

Proud 2013 MC Participant
Reaction score
Handicap
I never really paid attention to the number on my ball but a few weeks ago I was out playing and I looked down and notice the number 22 on my ball. I immediately gained confidence and hit one of my best shots ever. I have always loved the number 22, so it was pretty exciting to look down as see that. However, I will continue to try and not notice the number because I don't need anymore thoughts going through my head when I am playing.
Funny you should mention it, my boss is staffed by TM and only plays Pentas with #22 on them.

JConn

Proud 2013 MC Participant
Reaction score
Handicap
Numbers never really have bothered me. I would rather have 1-4 but I won't look through boxes if they have high numbers. I'd use #13 if I didn't have to pay extra to have them made.
A lot of the ball manufacturers are offering free personalization right now. I got my custom TM Pentas through Golfsmith, they were buy 2 get 1 free with free customization. I decided to go with #00 and #(-1) for me because I am hoping to shoot par or better some time this year, got my dad #79 because he has never broke 80 (but is really close to doing so). Fun to have custom balls!

Snap Hook

I before E,excpt Titleist
Reaction score
Handicap
3 SNGA
NUmber's don't bother me. BUT, I do wish Srixon made higher number sets like Titleist. I"m Chinese, and in our culture the number 8 is very lucky. You couple that with the fact the number 7 is lucky here. THat's two number in the higher number sets that are lucky. (5,6,7,8) I'ld pick a ball for having a lucky number, but I couldn't care less if it wasn't either.

Smallville

#WeLoveYouAlex
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I've never cared what the number on the ball is. I just make sure that the ball I'm using and the one I will use as a provisional are different numbers.

coolbreeze

Aspiring Golferr
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 8.9
I don't really normally care about the number on the ball, however, when I buy a single sleeve of balls it is always #4's because that is my favorite number.

SW

Grinder
Reaction score
Handicap
NUmber's don't bother me. BUT, I do wish Srixon made higher number sets like Titleist. I"m Chinese, and in our culture the number 8 is very lucky. You couple that with the fact the number 7 is lucky here. THat's two number in the higher number sets that are lucky. (5,6,7,8) I'ld pick a ball for having a lucky number, but I couldn't care less if it wasn't either.
So would 78 be the ultimate ball number?

I personally like #'s 5 and 7, otherwise I play from the 4 sleeve down.

Snap Hook

I before E,excpt Titleist
Reaction score
Handicap
3 SNGA
So would 78 be the ultimate ball number?

I personally like #'s 5 and 7, otherwise I play from the 4 sleeve down.
hahaha. I'ld take 88 actually. good idea though

pjcedog

Reaction score
Handicap
I obliterate the number with a mark so it makes no difference to me what number is printed on the ball.

Hawk

Master Painter
Reaction score
I just have to be able to look down at a ball and like the number or I can't hit it.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in