Supertri TP shafts...

KUJayhawks

Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm in the market for a Supertri and was trying different lofts and the myriad of different shafts and was looking for a little input. Today at work I was trying the Fubuki, Matrix, Motore F1, and the Voodoo VS6. I really didn't care for the Fubuki or the Matrix as they just didn't feel all that smooth. The Motore was meh.. but the VS6 just felt awesome. I was hitting them all around 250-260 with decent accuracy but something just felt right with the Voodoo.

Where I noticed the big difference was when I changed lofts. I usually hit a 10.5 and my launch angle is pretty low and so is my spin, usually around 10-11 and 2000rpm. When I stepped up to the 11.5 I was hitting around 270-280. My launch angle raised to 13-4 and my spin was around 2500. It seems kind of drastic to go to an 11.5 but the difference gain was pretty awesome.

Anyone using the VS6 in their driver? Comments? I will be demoing this out on the course tomorrow if it doesn't rain so I should be able to get a better feel than indoors on a monitor. Thanks.

I am playing a Motore F1 65 gram (stiff) in my supertri right now. All and all I don't have too many complaints about it. Of the TP shafts I hit I was getting the best ball flight from it (but I was unable to hit the full range of shafts).

I am looking forward to trying a bunch of shafts at the THP outing this weekend and I am confident I can find a better one for my swing- despite being a "low launch" shaft I still find I am getting a high ball flight due to the energy storing tip.

Can't tell you anything about the voodoo other than it didnt work for me- but if it is working for you then roll with it. Can't get better than being perfect for you!

If the VooDoo doesn't work for you I may have a Miyazaki Blue 61 Stiff w/TaylorMade Supertri TP Sleeve, Winn PCI TL Blue Standard grip for sale in about a week. I'll check back on this thread before I post it on ebay.

I absolutely love the shaft, but the Supertri head is just not right for me. The feel is not quite what I like and I'm getting a bit too much spin. I'm currently testing a Rapture V2 and Adams 9015d both with a Miyazaki Blue. If I go with one of those drivers then I'll be selling my Supertri Miyazaki shaft.

I have used the VS Proto By You Stiff and Voodoo SVS6 in my previous driver (Hibore XL) so I think we might like the same type of shaft if you like the SVS6.

mullie

The SuperTri is a driver head that can produce more spin. Hence the more you are getting combined with a different shaft. Few questions for you.

1. I know in a previous thread you were raving about the shaft you are currently using. Why not continue with that shaft?
2. Since it seems you are getting "fit" for the shaft or at least getting numbers during sessions, which shaft is giving you the best launch conditions?
3. It seems as though you really preferred the Voodoo in taht respect, so maybe the choice has been made? Does it have to be a TP Shaft? (Miyazaki, Project X?)

The SuperTri is a driver head that can produce more spin. Hence the more you are getting combined with a different shaft. Few questions for you.

1. I know in a previous thread you were raving about the shaft you are currently using. Why not continue with that shaft?
2. Since it seems you are getting "fit" for the shaft or at least getting numbers during sessions, which shaft is giving you the best launch conditions?
3. It seems as though you really preferred the Voodoo in taht respect, so maybe the choice has been made? Does it have to be a TP Shaft? (Miyazaki, Project X?)

Well the honeymood period is pretty much over with the excalibur. It's still a pretty good shaft for the money but I think it was the initial change to something different that I liked. I know all the shafts are really different but I wasn't seeing a huge disparity between them. The thing that moves the Voodoo to the front was that when I struck the ball well, the ball kept rising whereas it usually would begin its descent. Not rising as in ballooning like I had too much spin but good as in the launch and the spin were just right. It felt like it was kicking just right and barely even felt like I hit anything at impact. I would love to try some of the other high end shafts out there but I have a TMAG account so getting most of those shafts would cost about as much as the driver and the TP shaft. (around $200) Everyone on here really seems to like the Miyazaki so I am curious as to the price tag with a TM tip on it. When mullie says he has one with a TM sleeve I take it that means that it has the interchangeable tip on it?

Well the honeymood period is pretty much over with the excalibur. It's still a pretty good shaft for the money but I think it was the initial change to something different that I liked. I know all the shafts are really different but I wasn't seeing a huge disparity between them. The thing that moves the Voodoo to the front was that when I struck the ball well, the ball kept rising whereas it usually would begin its descent. Not rising as in ballooning like I had too much spin but good as in the launch and the spin were just right. It felt like it was kicking just right and barely even felt like I hit anything at impact. I would love to try some of the other high end shafts out there but I have a TMAG account so getting most of those shafts would cost about as much as the driver and the TP shaft. (around $200) Everyone on here really seems to like the Miyazaki so I am curious as to the price tag with a TM tip on it. When mullie says he has one with a TM sleeve I take it that means that it has the interchangeable tip on it?

They dont sell Miyazakis with the TM tip on it, but you can find them around. As for what Mullie has, I dont really know, but I would assume it is just a Miyazaki shaft that has been tipped with the R9 adapter. Not really interchangeable. You can see in this picture, that it can be done to any shaft. We have about 18 shafts tipped with R9 adapters here.

1007769664_dzWYR-L.jpg

In that stack you will see Miyazaki, blue, black, silver, and the pre-released C. Kua line. Then the UST Attas & axivcore. As well as PX 5.0 through 7.0. We also have 2 more adapters going on the new Attas 2.0 when they arrive today.

I guess what I am saying is that would it be a better option (better fitting option) to just find the best shaft for you and then add the tip to it? I dont know much about TM accounts, so I dont know how that works.

I thought you were loving your xcaliber shaft? Why not put an R9 tip on it

I was, but it was kind of an impulse buy as I just needed a stiffer shaft than what I had. Plus the tm shafts do feel a lot better. As for what TM has, it's pretty much just the big name stuff and not the smaller specialty brands. What do Miyazaki shafts run, around $300?

I was, but it was kind of an impulse buy as I just needed a stiffer shaft than what I had. Plus the tm shafts do feel a lot better. As for what TM has, it's pretty much just the big name stuff and not the smaller specialty brands. What do Miyazaki shafts run, around $300?

I have seen them for about 250ish.

KU: Check out victory custom golf online for an idea of the price of shafts with the R9 tip on them. I didn't find any prices from a respectable place that were lower than that.

I'll have to check that site out. Since its raining I didn't get to go hit them outside so I went up to my work and had a pretty intense session on a launch monitor. Its weird how much different you can hit the ball from day to day. I was still hitting the Voodoo great but a couple other shafts moved back into the equation. Today I tested the matrix, RIP, Vooodoo, Motore F1, and the Fubuki as those were the only TP shafts we had. The printer wasn't working so I wrote down the stats.

IMG_0256.jpg

These numbers are hitting 10 shots with each shaft and taking out the worst 2 hits.

For some reason I just have trouble getting my launch angle up, granted it's not extremely low, I would like to see it closer to 13 to 14. When I hit outside it never seems to be that much lower than my other playing partners but the numbers don't lie. The Fubuki seemed to be the longest but it could also be because I was swinging a little harder. After I was done I swung some with the Voodoo at a higher speed and was hitting it consistently around 280. The spin rates all seem to be pretty good as well. The Rip didn't work very well for me but most of the others felt pretty good. Hopefully this rain clears up and I'll be able to test some on the course!

Last edited:
Good stuff- it sounds like you had a good time.
Best of luck in making your decisions- sometimes it takes looking at your "miss" and not your "best" to pick a club. See what feels good when you don't swing your best and factor that in too.

They dont sell Miyazakis with the TM tip on it, but you can find them around. As for what Mullie has, I dont really know, but I would assume it is just a Miyazaki shaft that has been tipped with the R9 adapter. Not really interchangeable. You can see in this picture, that it can be done to any shaft. We have about 18 shafts tipped with R9 adapters here.

1007769664_dzWYR-L.jpg

In that stack you will see Miyazaki, blue, black, silver, and the pre-released C. Kua line. Then the UST Attas & axivcore. As well as PX 5.0 through 7.0. We also have 2 more adapters going on the new Attas 2.0 when they arrive today.

I guess what I am saying is that would it be a better option (better fitting option) to just find the best shaft for you and then add the tip to it? I dont know much about TM accounts, so I dont know how that works.

JB you are correct. My Miyazaki has a R9 Supertri Sleeve (.335) on it. It can be used with any 2009 R9 head or the 2010 R9 Supertri or Superdeep. I'll sell it for $225 shipped if I choose to go with the other club.

JB you are correct. My Miyazaki has a R9 Supertri Sleeve (.335) on it. It can be used with any 2009 R9 head or the 2010 R9 Supertri or Superdeep. I'll sell it for $225 shipped if I choose to go with the other club.

We have a marketplace setup to do our best to protect both seller and buyer. Please use that if you have an item for sale. Thanks.

Sorry about that JB. If I do decide to sell I'll use the marketplace. No more mention of selling by me on here.

Sorry about that JB. If I do decide to sell I'll use the marketplace. No more mention of selling by me on here.

No worries. Thanks.

Well, I do use the SVS6 Voodoo on my Supertri although YMMV on the advice since you're hitting it 280 and I'm hitting it 250 so our swing speeds and specs are probably wildly different.

Since we're talking about shafts, I better give you a bit of my own specs. Going off the Bridgestone fittings, I have about:
Swing speed-91 / Ball speed - 145 / Launch Angle 12.9 / Spin ~2800 / Distance 250. (The numbers are approximate as I'm doing it from memory, but should give you an idea)

In any case, when I was testing for the Supertri's I did manage to try several of the shafts:

Motore : Forget about it.....I forgot what the spin rate I got was, but it was really high. Ended up just hitting high sailing shots that weren't very good.

Motore F1 : My swing speed and loading behavior just can't handle the stiffer tip. The thing felt like it didn't really bend at all for me, and that's not surprising given my swing speed and most of my shots were straight right although the height wasn't too bad.

Fubuki : I hit these a lot better than the F1. The problem is that the shaft feels lifeless to me. Now in all honesty, I believe (given that many ppl love the Mitsubishi Rayon shafts) that my swing speed isn't fast enough to really make this shaft come to life, but I was hitting decently shots with decent numbers, but the thing just felt horrible to me.

Matrix : I didn't test this in the supertri.....the one I tested was in the Burner Superfast TP. This shaft worked for me. In general, it was a smoother shaft and had a softer feel than the previous one. However, it felt a little unstable. The numbers fine although it did make the ballflight somewhat higher for me, but the way it shook at impact on off-centered strikes felt distinctly unstable to me and strange.

Voodoo SVS6 : I ended up with this one. It gave me the identical launch numbers as my prior driver (R7 tp - Fujikura 757 stiff) which were pretty much on the dot of what they were recommending as "ideal", however, it gave me about 8mph more ball velocity (which was probably a function of the Supertri head versus the R7 head and not the shaft, but the combo did give me exactly the same conditions as my current setup which was awesome). In general, it's a smooth feeling shaft. It never feels like it shakes or distorts during the swing nor during off-centered hits and generally it has enough flex (surprisingly enough) that I'm able to load it up and unload on the ball comfortably. Overall, it's a surprisingly good fit and I've become very comfortable with it.

Anyways, as with all shaft recommendations, a lot of this comes down to fitting. Just giving you my impressions, but you'll have to keep in mind that this isn't really apples to apples since we probably don't have the same body types, swing types, and we definitely don't have the same swing speed nor launch conditions.

Back