Supporting your local restaurants

How often will you order food for delivery or takeout during the Covid-19 crisis?

• More

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Same

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Less

Votes: 27 39.7%

• Total voters
One way to support local restaurants right now is buy a gift card from the restaurant. It helps them with their current cash issues and you can dine there when all this passes.

Most recently local breweries are offering free beer delivery...

One of the nice local courses by me is doing a few sweet things. They are offering anyone that needs milk or bread to let them know and they are ordering extra from their vendors to supply the community. All the salary employees are giving a percentage of their salaries into a pool for all the hourly employees as well as 50% of all gift card sales are going to the hourly pool as well.

We are planning to do about the same, assuming we can be safe about it. We have a local coffee shop. I’m still going every day but patrons stay 6 feet from each other, I’m careful about what I touch, etc. If people change their behavior to make it less safe I’ll stop going. If I see that the shop is crowded when I drive up I won’t go in. But there are places like this that are local, have been a part of the community, support our youth organizations, etc. I want to support them if I can.

Since the choices were delivery and takeout I said "Same". But for eating out, we are definitely laying low until the situation improves.

This week it's dinner from our local tavern. Happy to spend the $50.
IMG_20200321_180617315.jpg

There is a Chinese buffet that my wife and I used to go to at least once a week. There's no f***ing way I'm doing a buffet right now, so it's actually less but my wife and I talked last night about ordering take out once a week from one of the local places.

I voted more. Many of our local restaurants are offering pared down menus with items at lower prices than regular menu items or 2 for 1s within a specific time window.

At least, that is our plan right now.
Our restaurants have gone “curbside” only. Most are getting creative with their menus. We’ve done one lunch and one dinner that way. I’m glad we’re able to do this. The servers and owners need the business. Most of the owners are earmarking 10-20% of sales to supplement their servers’ wages.

A few owners have simply closed.

They ended up closing our restaurant on the 18th. The wife (GM) went over it with the owner, while they could have kept going, just due to all the uncertainty they felt it best to close.

All the workers laid off, including my wife. Hopefully the restaurant re-opens again. Its been a tough couple years. When the wife went on maternity leave with kid #1, things started a slow spiral. Labor costs got whacked out, food costs weren't being tracked as they should, a new chef, and a bunch of new staff. Wife got back to work, and started fixing things, and a little over 2 years since she left they were finally righting the ship again........ and then all this shut down happens.

Neighbor had a food truck visit the neighborhood last night. Awesome turnout from the entire hood buying food and taking home. Great idea to support a small business.

We're doing it a little more than usual. Trying to support our favorite restaurants and spread the love around.

They ended up closing our restaurant on the 18th. The wife (GM) went over it with the owner, while they could have kept going, just due to all the uncertainty they felt it best to close.

All the workers laid off, including my wife. Hopefully the restaurant re-opens again. Its been a tough couple years. When the wife went on maternity leave with kid #1, things started a slow spiral. Labor costs got whacked out, food costs weren't being tracked as they should, a new chef, and a bunch of new staff. Wife got back to work, and started fixing things, and a little over 2 years since she left they were finally righting the ship again........ and then all this shut down happens.
hopefully the new federal subsidies can allow a re-open

I am going to support my local Pizza Hut tonight. It's probably owned & operated by a massive corporate entity who doesn't need the help...but I'm dying to drown my sorrows in a beautiful medley of pepperoni, Italian sausage, and cheddar.

I have supported smaller local businesses when I have gone out tho. Tried a sushi place that I hadn’t been to before and the little mom and pop ice cream shop for a treat.

I've been trying to eat from my favorite places a few times a week. One of the restaurants we really like has been able to keep a lot of their staff, having them do deliveries rather than using DoorDash or Uber eats or something. They've also been donating meals to seniors and health care workers, which is really cool.

hopefully the new federal subsidies can allow a re-open
Hope so!

Switching to a 75% subsidy over the previous 10% is a pretty crazy change (funny that I think even yesterday they said that is wasn't being discussed).
Not that it will be at all easy for her to be re-employed since she is now primary caregiver for our 2 year old, but maybe we can work something out.
Holding out hope that she can get back to work and on track for taking her maternity leave come July.

after another week of cooking/prepping all meals, I decided we should do fish fry take out tonight, and have Chinese take out on the docket tomorrow night.

My wife and I had a discussion last week and decided that we would order out at least once a week from a local restaurant. It may not be much, but it's at least something.

So far I've had Greek and some amazing fried chicken.

As much as we can, we will continue to get pickup from local restaurants. One chef I have known for years grabbed me (figuratively 😷) and expressed her worry. I told her I would get food there at least once a week. The current statewide “lockdown” is making that impossible in the short term. Several restaurants have closed, including hers. This will be a complex dynamic for awhile. ☹️

We are trying to help as much as we can, taking the kids for pickup once a week.

Ive made a list of local restaurants and craft breweries that I want to support during the shutdown and have been just doing delivery or take-out, instead of eating out.
I fully expect at least some of these bars and restaurants will close and go under but if we all get take-out instead of going out to at, some of them will be saved.

I really want to help the local businesses with getting some regular takeout but my first time doing so left me a little leery. None of the staff handing out the food or taking cash were even wearing gloves. I'm probably being overly cautious but I don't trust that some of these places are following all the health and safety protocols.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ordering up a couple of pizzas tonight from a local spot who's still offering take out and delivery. Pumped.

My home town area is huge with restaurants. Unfortunately, the better ones don't do a lot of takeout, so many of them have closed. We only went out to eat on "date night Fridays" a tradition from when our kids were growing up and we would leave them home to have some time together. We are attempting to do takeout on Fridays and tend to keep it to a local place rather than a chain.

Back