Surgeries anybody???

tommyhaka

Reaction score
Handicap
A thread to post your surgery history, and are still able to play golf. How many? What surgery? How does it limit you? How do you cope with it? Also, what's your age?
I'll start:
Right ankle in 2007 . It's starting to give me issues with arthritis.
Right shoulder rotator cuff in 2015

Right achilles tendon 2008. No limitations.

1 surgery, torn acl, right knee a long time ago no problems.
3 surgeries on left knee, meniscus (last 10 years)....no more meniscus...pain everyday and limits my ability to turn
1 surgery left shoulder, rotator cuff, limits how far i can go back and turn through.

makes my 47 year old body feel 87

Last edited:
March 2010 left shoulder scraped out
July 2017 neck fusion, missed whole season
Aug 2019 right shoulder scraped out

no limitations other than a slightly on range of motion for right shoulder

I'm 55 now, so hope that's all I need for quite awhile

I’m 37.

2009 broke my leg and separated it from the ankle joint in a rugby game. Had surgery to screw it back into the join and have a plate put in on the fracture. Took a year to get back in the field and 2 years until I really felt right. I’ve never felt completely healed, my hips feel out of alignment and while I can do everything full speed (8 seasons of competitive rugby after surgery) I don’t run quite right and my hips feel way out of alignment. I have a lot of trouble lining my hips and body up with my feet in golf. Still get pain in my ankle from the scar tissue and plate in there.

2010 had a hernia repair with a mesh pad put in. 6 week recovery and hasn’t really bothered me since. Occasionally some mild discomfort.

I count myself lucky to have gotten through 15 seasons of competitive rugby with only 2 surgeries.

Double Hernia for me once. No limitations.

Left knee ACL rebuild, right knee scoping in 2 weeks. 5 compressed vertebrae, no idea yet what will be done if anything.

Just a torn ACL and meniscus as junior in high school back in 2003. It hasn't effected me.

Lots of broken bones from playing hockey... many bones in both hands, clavicle, nose.

Most in-depth surgery was 2016. I had a wrist arthroscopy with an open foveal TFCC repair. Basically opened my wrist up, drilled some holes into my ulna, and pinned the ligament into some titanium pins inserted into my bone.

Recovery wasn't fun, but I stuck with the physiotherapist plan after being in a full arm cast (hand up to shoulder) for 6 weeks. Physio lasted about a year, and I was able to do simple tasks like shovelling snow carefully about 4 months after surgery. I was back playing careful hockey 6 months after surgery with a rigid full wrist brace.

I can play golf now without issue, but I still tape it for hockey.

June 2016... heart cath... left anterior descending artery 90% blocked. Stent inserted. From Oct 2016 to Feb 2020 I hit the gym 3 times weekly and did cardio. I felt pretty good. Then covid hit. I haven't been to the gym since. I'm looking to get back in the gym soon.

Last edited:
Eight on my right knee (one reconstruction and seven clean outs/scopes), two left shoulder, one right shoulder, right wrist, right hand, and left ankle. All were from my hockey playing days and have minor impact on my golf game.

2003: Right knee medial meniscus ~50% removal
2004: Left knee medial meniscus (failed) repair
2004: Left knee medial meniscus ~60% removal

Now I have a good bad knee and a bad bad knee. Definitely feel the wear and tear even though I’m only 30. Other than that my surgical history is just tubes in ears as a kid, wisdom teeth as a teen, and LASIK coming up in January, which I am beyond excited about. A couple broken arms, broken nose, and a fractured hand, but nothing requiring surgery.

I have only had one, July 1 2008 i had 5 bypasses. I quit smoking and Drinking. I lost all kinds of weight and in better shape now than when i was at 45

I have only had one, July 1 2008 i had 5 bypasses. I quit smoking and Drinking. I lost all kinds of weight and in better shape now than when i was at 45

Wow. Congrats on the health change! Life changing event for sure.

Bunionectomy, Removed a bunion from right foot.
Ulnar nerve surgery to repair Cubital tunnel syndrome. (Pinched nerve in elbow.)
Laminectomy. Surgery to repair herniated disc in lower back. Tiger had the same procedure.
I wasn’t playing any golf during the time I had these surgeries. I thought the back issue might cause problems with my golf game, but aside from not being able to walk 18 holes, it’s all pretty good.

October 2011 Micro discectomy for a ruptured disc in my back I returned to full strength.
March 2017 Whipple for tumor on pancreas. No limitations on activities either but lost swing speed on lengthy illness leading into it.

I still played 70 rounds this year walking and carrying my bag for at least 60 of them.

I feel like if I answer in this thread my fortunes will be turned...

Numerous surgeries over the years....All of them kept me from playing golf for a little while.
Both knees - ACL in the 80's
Both shoulders
Right knee - MCL in 92
Colon cancer - took out 1/3 of my colon
Right elbow - Tommy John surgery

The latest are my 2 knee replacements, Left on Oct. 28, 2020 and Right on Dec. 9, 2020.
So needless to say, I am not playing golf at this time, even if I headed for warm weather.
I hope to be swinging the clubs about the middle of March.

When I was 3/4 I had a couple reconstructive surgeries on my mouth and tongue. Since then, a cyst removed from my left wrist, compartment syndrome surgeries following a brown recluse bite, and a kidney stone removal 2 months ago.

2002 - Stent placed
2006 - Right knee scope
2014 - lumbar fusion
2017 - right knee scope
2018 - partial kidney removal (cancer)
2019 - cervical fusion

I’m 56 and able to play. Most of my limitations on playing are arthritis in my back, knees, shoulders and hands. I still play somewhat decently.

A thread to post your surgery history, and are still able to play golf. How many? What surgery? How does it limit you? How do you cope with it? Also, what's your age?
I'll start:
Right ankle in 2007 . It's starting to give me issues with arthritis.
Right shoulder rotator cuff in 2015
Hip replacement in 2011-= Improved my game. Could walk again.. rotate etc.
Shoulder replacement in 2017. Improved my game-- can move my right shoulder WAY better.

I have had several knee surgeries on. my right knee over the years, due to my wrestling career. First was in 1996 ACL/PCL reconstruction. A few arthroscopic surgeries on that knee as well, then another reconstruction in 2004, followed by a scope in 2005. Knee is ok, especially now that I lost some weight. But it does have some minor arthritis especially when I don't keep my leg/quad strength up.

I’m listing only my surgeries that would directly affect the ability to golf:

2008: Left leg microfracture/osteotomy (out for three months)
2016: Total knee replacements (out for one month after each replacement)
2019: Laminectomy in L4/5 spinal region (out for three months)
2020: Left shoulder decompression/rotator cuff repair (current; time off of golf unknown)

I believe Blue Cross told me that if I require another surgery, I’ll have to do it myself. lol

Right elbow, chin, and thigh due to shrapnel wounds. No issues with them after they healed.

Lots of stitches through the years. A broken ankle that just required a cast.

I haven't been in a hospital for 49 years. I haven't even been real sick since the 1980s

1999 fell off a cliff onto the rocks at water edge looking for a fishing spot and had to be rappelled up in a basket by the firefighters up the cliff. Smashed bones in my left hand and had surgery. The hand saved my life as I had my hands covering my head as I hit the rocks.

Stopped golfing mostly then because it hurt way too much to golf until 2017 when I tried again.

Back