Surgeries anybody???

At first I thought, How did he get a picture of my ankle. Then I looked a bit closer. I broke both bones, my foot just dangled when I lifted my leg. My plate and screws are on the big bone. Luckily when the surgeon pulled that one into place, the smaller one also resumed it's normal location. Did you have any other painful things happen during this time? While laying on the gurney in the emergency room a young (nurse in training) ran into that foot as it was hanging over the edge of the gurney. The whole thing happened just two days after I had back surgery for the third time.

i popped mine back into place when it happened and that hurt. In the ER the dr grabbed my foot and forgot so that hurt a little bit

2006 left knee replaced. 2010 left knee replaced again, called a revision. 2015 right shoulder replaced. Able to play after each one and still going strong.

Do stitches count? I had 13 in my ear a couple years ago. I was cutting down some trees on my property and... one about the size of my wrist broke off above my head and hit me as it came down. It damn near tore my earlobe off.

Funny thing is it didn't bleed immediately but when it did I didn't get any on my white t-shirt.:D

I don't cut trees down anymore:p

2016, Spinal Fusion, Laminectomy, Removal of Synovial Cyst on the spine.
It took a year of recovery with no golf, and I lost quite a bit of flexibility and distance.
I was 69 when I had the surgery.

1983 - tibia & fibula fracture requiring surgery
2011 - Left shoulder reconstruction
2011 - Left knee scoped for meniscus clean up
2012 - Right knee reconstruction - ACL/MCL/PCL/meniscus
2013 - Right forearm “night stick” fracture requiring 6” titanium plate
2018 - Bilateral sports hernia repair

All but the 1983 broken leg and the hernia surgery were from snow skiing.
Zero restrictions for golf or skiing other than my days of rotational aerial tricks on skis are over.

Last edited:
A thread to post your surgery history, and are still able to play golf. How many? What surgery? How does it limit you? How do you cope with it? Also, what's your age?
I'll start:
Right ankle in 2007 . It's starting to give me issues with arthritis.
Right shoulder rotator cuff in 2015
This should be fun!
37 years old
2001 Left Shoulder- torn rotator cuff and labrum
2002 Left Knee- torn meniscus
2012- Broken left foot
2015 Left Thumb (my grip had to be changed to interlock from 10-finger)
2017-2019 Left and Right eye, I have a rare eye disease called keratoconus, I have a cornea transplant in my left eye and a device holding my cornea together in my right eye. I had to have 5 total surgeries to fix the problem. (After these surgeries I had to switch to a yellow golf ball)
2018- Left Knee again- torn meniscus
2020- Left temple Melanoma (Had to wear different hats and change sunscreen SPF)
2020- I currently have a torn rotator cuff and labrum in my right shoulder (Right now, it's my biggest problem, it doesn't hurt when I swing, but hurts after the round. Also, i can really feel it when i chunk one or when i get stuck behind the golf ball)

So, with all that being said, my biggest problem is my right shoulder and I don't want to get it fixed because I'd be out for 6 months and I wouldn't know what to do with myself without golf for 6 months!

I have also had 6 retina tears in in my eyes either laser or froze repaired.

This should be fun!
37 years old
2001 Left Shoulder- torn rotator cuff and labrum
2002 Left Knee- torn meniscus
2012- Broken left foot
2015 Left Thumb (my grip had to be changed to interlock from 10-finger)
2017-2019 Left and Right eye, I have a rare eye disease called keratoconus, I have a cornea transplant in my left eye and a device holding my cornea together in my right eye. I had to have 5 total surgeries to fix the problem. (After these surgeries I had to switch to a yellow golf ball)
2018- Left Knee again- torn meniscus
2020- Left temple Melanoma (Had to wear different hats and change sunscreen SPF)
2020- I currently have a torn rotator cuff and labrum in my right shoulder (Right now, it's my biggest problem, it doesn't hurt when I swing, but hurts after the round. Also, i can really feel it when i chunk one or when i get stuck behind the golf ball)

So, with all that being said, my biggest problem is my right shoulder and I don't want to get it fixed because I'd be out for 6 months and I wouldn't know what to do with myself without golf for 6 months!
That’s a lot...

Out of the blue, on a Sunday even, I received a call from the VA eye clinic, who scheduled me for a cataracs exam. Surgery to follow later most likely.

This is a big deal for me, since I've been waiting for over a year for this appointment. The long wait due to this covid thing.

I have an in-law who just her eyes fixed. Said she didn't realize what she wasn't seeing.

Out of the blue, on a Sunday even, I received a call from the VA eye clinic, who scheduled me for a cataracs exam. Surgery to follow later most likely.

This is a big deal for me, since I've been waiting for over a year for this appointment. The long wait due to this covid thing.

I have an in-law who just her eyes fixed. Said she didn't realize what she wasn't seeing.
Hope it all goes well for you! Amazing what they can do with cataracts now and lens options!

I feel like if I answer in this thread my fortunes will be turned...
Me too. I am just reading and commenting like this. I will just say I have been blessed LOL!

Only the one for me fortunately, but was very close to needing a metal plate putting in my face for a fractured cheek bone

Surgery was needed to remove a bit growth that, if left untreated, would have eventually torn a tendon in my hand and that would have left me with a finger that I couldn't use

gotten through 15 seasons of competitive rugby with only 2 surgeries.

Must be a winger.

2003: Right knee medial meniscus ~50% removal
2004: Left knee medial meniscus (failed) repair
2004: Left knee medial meniscus ~60% removal

Now I have a good bad knee and a bad bad knee. Definitely feel the wear and tear even though I’m only 30. Other than that my surgical history is just tubes in ears as a kid, wisdom teeth as a teen, and LASIK coming up in January, which I am beyond excited about. A couple broken arms, broken nose, and a fractured hand, but nothing requiring surgery.

You will Iove the LASIK. I wore contacts and glasses for many years and lasik was life changing. I had it done in 2008 and my eyes are still better than 20/20 although I now need reading glass some of the time.

A thread to post your surgery history, and are still able to play golf. How many? What surgery? How does it limit you? How do you cope with it? Also, what's your age?
I'll start:
Right ankle in 2007 . It's starting to give me issues with arthritis.
Right shoulder rotator cuff in 2015
6 total.
Both rotator cuffs
Both knees arthroscopic (still have a torn Acl)
1 finger
1 oral.

I will probably need Knee replacements and or a hip at some point.
Stupid me for playing Football when I was young.

6 total.
Both rotator cuffs
Both knees arthroscopic (still have a torn Acl)
1 finger
1 oral.

I will probably need Knee replacements and or a hip at some point.
Stupid me for playing Football when I was young.
If I had children, and I won't at this age 65, I would try as hard as I could to discourage them from playing football. Many guys graduate from high school with zippers on their knees. The bad part about surgeries is the arthritis that comes later in life. I have had surgery on my right ankle 15 years ago and the arthritis is pretty bad. After a round of golf I have a hard time walking on my right foot.

This golf season is going to be interesting, in a painful way. I mentioned in my OP that I had right ankle surgery. Now the same ankle is giving me problems, as the visit to the orthopedic surgeon affirmed. I am hoping to hold off surgery til fall, but it might be tough. My right ankle, the subtalar joint is getting close to bone on bone, and also pinching a nerve. The surgeon told me I will need surgery to either remove bone spurs or have the ankle joint fused. I'm sure this will affect the golf game but I have to have it done due to constant pain. After 18 holes the other day I literally couldn't put any weight on the ankle, it was just to painful. I already had a CT scan a couple weeks ago and am seeing the surgeon for a follow up this thursday.

Broke my Tibia and Fibula in slip on Ice in about 1999.

Two long screws up my Tibia and a plate with 4 screws from the side on my Fibula. Zero issues its not in common for me to be at 8000-10000 steps a day on concrete or other hard floor.

69 yrs old
March 2019 had left knee meniscus surgery and the genius Ortho Dr.decided to do micro fracture surgery on my knee "while he was in there " without my knowledege,consent etc.I have pain with the area of the micro fracture surgery still.
The day after Christmas 2019 I had left shoulder surgery for a torn rotator cuff and labrum that I injured playing golf in September.I rehabbed for approx. five months and was back playing golf.I actually have more soreness in my right shoulder than the left one that the surgery was on.I used a different surgery clinic,PT etc for my shoulder surgery after the experience with my knee.

Nose reconstruction, twice.
Left and right wrist carpal tunnel release
Left hip replacement.

No major issues, arthritis in both hands.

Had a pituitary tumor removed (transsphenoidal) in December of 2019. Was out of golf for like 4 weeks...

Minor surgert today, had to reattach my big toe nail. I knocked it off today by accident, so they detached, at the root, the sides of the nail because it was in-grown, and then reattached the center part.

Attachments

• IMG_20210818_120150335.jpg
    IMG_20210818_120150335.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210818_131733247.jpg
    IMG_20210818_131733247.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 15
Minor surgert today, had to reattach my big toe nail. I knocked it off today by accident, so they detached, at the root, the sides of the nail because it was in-grown, and then reattached the center part.
I don't think that picture would be @JB approved! 🤢

I don't think that picture would be @JB approved! 🤢
see, things like this don't bother me....but then again, i spent many years in Emergency Medice, so there that:sneaky:

Back