Swapping to a softer compression ball in colder months?

DMoney79

War Damn Eagle!!
Reaction score
Handicap
I watched some content from a YouTuber and he showed swapping to a lower compression golf in the winter months can increase distance like to know your thoughts on this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if it increases distance, but I like to play crazy soft balls in the winter (like Duos, Supersofts, and 50 Elites) because the feel is much better in the cold.

I used to switch but pretty much just stick to the same medium compression ball year round now. Never really noticed any benefit to switching.

I like to make the switch. Kills spin when I don't need it since the ground is soft, and just feels better.
Any advantage to help negate the effects of the cold, thick air on the ball.

Switching to a lower compression golf ball can reduce spin. As the swing slows for some, whether that be because of age, weather, etc, this CAN help achieve more distance.

It's a non-factor for me haha. But I also prefer lower compression as a rule so I'd probably just stick to my gamer.

I think I notice better distance in the cold weather with a lower compression ball, but I don't have a lot of empirical data to go on.

He was using GC2 launch monitor and showed spin didn't really change from warm temperatures to cold with the low compression but ball speed increased, the high compression definitely showed an effect with ball speeds dropping and spin increasing. Strike is probably king he didn't show strike patterns on the comparison found it interesting...

I'll make the switch during the colder months, especially when I was playing higher compression balls. I was going to play Chromesofts through this winter, but I got some Supersofts for Christmas so hopefully that dozen will get me through the cold months. I just wish they had them in the Truvis...

IMO, this theory has been proven to be true, it makes perfect sense. I don't change balls though, then again, I don't experience too many very cold days here to seriously consider this idea.

The Wilson Duo made me a believer!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Played the wilson duo U this morning in 50 deg. Weather with 20 mph wind, much softer off the irons and putter but saw some wild drives when I tried to step on it at all. Played the Srixon XV on the back and shot the same 42/42 but my drives were more predictable. Also seemed the XV had better spin into the greens, but with the wind it was hard to really make that call as accurate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I do it. I think with everything being colder it just feels better on contact IMO too.

The Wilson Duo made me a believer!

He was comparing the ProV1x and the Duo and the Duo was out carrying the ProV1x in cold weather

He was comparing the ProV1x and the Duo and the Duo was out carrying the ProV1x in cold weather

For a lot of players, that would happen regardless of weather. If they are high spin players off the tee especially or do not have a fast swing speed.

Yeah I saw that comparison. Very telling! I think the Chrome's off performs just as well.

I'm lucky that I don't have to worry about this issue but I Game Chrome Softs so I'd be covered either way.

I like the Duos, E6 (older version) B330RX

I like the Srixon Soft Feel in temps below 45, but have used chromesoft and had no problems.

WOW, just checked and the Wilson Duo U is a 55 Compression and the Srixon Z star Xv is 105, no wonder the Wilson felt like a marshmallow off the Driver. The fun part is when I did hit it well it was plenty long.

JB,
Could you tell me would the Z star have more spin than the Wilson since it is harder? I am trying to follow the logic that lower compression spin less than higher compression since with my swing I seem to see the opposite and as you know I do not have a high SS by any means.

WOW, just checked and the Wilson Duo U is a 55 Compression and the Srixon Z star Xv is 105, no wonder the Wilson felt like a marshmallow off the Driver. The fun part is when I did hit it well it was plenty long.

JB,
Could you tell me would the Z star have more spin than the Wilson since it is harder? I am trying to follow the logic that lower compression spin less than higher compression since with my swing I seem to see the opposite and as you know I do not have a high SS by any means.

The Z-Star will be a spinnier ball based on tech.

Duo FTW when it is cold.

So the fact that I hit it straighter (the Z Star) and I have found this to be true with the B330 vs the B330RX (with the B330 being better) mean I need more spin for better shots assuming I put the same swing on the ball?

I was under the impression that more spin leads to more erratic shots given a less than perfect clubface angle into the ball. So the lower spinning ball should be straighter yes /no?

So the fact that I hit it straighter (the Z Star) and I have found this to be true with the B330 vs the B330RX (with the B330 being better) mean I need more spin for better shots assuming I put the same swing on the ball?

I was under the impression that more spin leads to more erratic shots given a less than perfect clubface angle into the ball. So the lower spinning ball should be straighter yes /no?

This is the same thing I said to you about the clubs too...haha
You are not generating enough spin previously and spin is not the devil it is laid out to be.
You are a slower swing speed player that plays low launching stuff and lower spin stuff. You seeing more distance by increasing spin from a golf ball would make sense. Just as if you played higher spinning stuff, you could go to an easier to compress golf ball and possibly get more accuracy out of the mishits where you are not compressing entirely.

Thanks, so in essence for me currently lower compression is not a good thing at all. It will be interesting to see the new Cally Drivers and try them in normal and sz options to see who wins, but that is another thread.

Back