Swing finish - where do you stand?

How important is your swing finish to you?

• It's a direct reflection of how good of a shot it was.

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • The ball is gone, dude. Who cares?

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I want it to look good.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I would club toss after every good swing if it was appropriate.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • It's part of a complete and balanced golf swing.

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • Whatever lets me show off my twirl.

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
I'm happy the ball is gone was my vote.

I'm working hard on getting a good balanced finish position. To me it means I swung under control and got my weight all the way forward.

ummm just let me twirl that thang.....

i do notice when I have a clean swing though when I realize how im standing at my finish. plus the twirl comes naturally if I am in a good position and made good contact. ball doesn't even have to go at my target haha

It depends where the ball goes.

Haha. Someone could have told me a couple Live Round posts of mine accidentally ended up in here today. I was clicking back and forth and didn't realize.

Was it because one of them was of a swing finish? Did you think I was posting an example?? :LOL::LOL:

When I was lucky enough to be selected for the hand crafted event with Project X a couple of years back, I had this quote from Seve painted onto the shaft.
It doesn't matter if you look like a beast before or after the hit, as long as you look like a beauty at the moment of impact.
I think that probably answers the question.

Played my new EF driver today. Yeah the finish matters. Over all I think the EF fits me well.

I don't twirl, but I have my little thing I do. The finish matters. A good finish allows for proper body English on shots like when you're talking to your ball.

I have a terrible, off-balance finish. I can see how a better one might help with getting to the impact position with better consistency.

So two out of three think it's fairly important. That's honestly a little less than I thought it'd be.

I got some playful grief from someone earlier about my current finish and I want some opinions on this. I know mine is a little odd because I can't painlessly decelerate the club, so I'm always looking for the best way to round off my finish in a way that causes as little physical stress as possible. Break at the elbows (irons), twist off at the wrist (driver), whatever.

So how important is your finish to you? Do you practice it? Just as a part of your swing? Do you work for a certain position? Do you care at all?

I have had a life long Tin Cup finish to my swing and my hooligan golf buddies always made sure to remind me............ just to get into my head.

I don't think about it or try to practice it, but I know if I finish in a balanced position I've probably hit a nice shot. Back in the day, when the club would hit the back of my neck on the finish, I knew I hit a very good shot.

My instructor does not worry about what happens after impact. If my swing is solid and balanced, momentum will put me into a good finish pose. Forcing a good pose means something is off.

I don't think the exact spot of the finish matters but if the swing is balanced and with lead arm leading one can't help but to have a good follow through. about 99% of all my poor shots, including putting, relates to being off balance.

while I believe the above is true, I played golf for about 25 years throwing my trail hand (right) at the back of the ball. worked reasonably well many days but I was always a poor driver of the ball where that technique did not work well.

I tend to swing out of my stretchers at times so a balanced finish usually means a good thing.

My finish is almost always how my shot went. I feel like Tin Cup with a pose, and even say under my breath and sometimes aloud “we’re home” when a nice iron shot to the green is on.

You forgot to add the “Patrick Reed” helicopter finish when you know you were too fast and are trying everything you can to save the shot.

I perfected that last year. Unfortunately have carried it over a few times this year.

Back in long drive days I was just hoping not to break the shaft when it wrapped around my back.

I don’t have that problem anymore.

Voted like the majority. Now if I could make every complete swing mimic the description!

I would like to have a picture perfect finish but we're not there yet

I would like to have a picture perfect finish but we're not there yet
So you want to look good? I don't know why more people aren't admitting that.

You forgot to add the “Patrick Reed” helicopter finish when you know you were too fast and are trying everything you can to save the shot.

I don't think I've seen that one from him. Aren't those just on hard cut shots?

I helicoptered on one they other day unintentionally. Or.. without forethought might be more accurate. For the hold off on going through, trying for a big cut, reason. It probably wasn't pretty, and my ribs basically told me to never do it again. So I'm probably done with that.

So you want to look good? I don't know why more people aren't admitting that.

I would consider it icing on the cake...even though the cake looks like a mound of dried, crushed play dough

I would consider it icing on the cake...even though the cake looks like a mound of dried, crushed play dough
All that matters is how it tastes.

Have you ever had one of those really beautifully decorated cakes? Eck.

At my age I don't have the flexibility to have that nice, smooth swing and finish. So I voted the ball is gone who cares. My swing is different. On the irons I have a longer back swing. To the point where I see the club head in my peripheral. But that extra back swing seems to give momentum on the downswing and I can naturally follow through without thinking about it.

I can't do that with the driver. The ball will be all over the place. I found a good, consistent driver swing that keeps the ball in the fairway most times and is long enough for a 64 year old from the white tees. I don't have as long of a back swing, which in turn naturally reduces the follow through swing. I almost stop the finish with the club head facing the target.

Seems to work. My playing partners are all mid to low handicappers and they say I'm more consistent with the accuracy than they are. Not quite as long but long enough.

Back