cheffor

verified 20 handicap
Reaction score
Handicap
16 (OOB)
Posted a video of my swing with Golf Digest and got some feedback that I'm flipping the club instead of staying with the swing and keeping my hands in front of the club head. Are there any good drills to work on hitting down and getting those hands in front. He suggested putting a rope in front of my and using a 7 iron half swings and trying to get the ball to travel under that rope.

Here is a link to the swing on golfdigestchallenge.com.

http://www.v1sports.com/Academy/include/player.asp?AcademyID=GDCA&swingid=463916

I like the area to be fixed. Before we get into that know that there is a cause behind why you see the flip at impact. There is some disconnect at the top and you get steep on the down swing. You are flipping as a way to get back to the ball. Without getting into a swing change I like the drill he gave you to work on. To fix the hands at impact short game work-chips and pitches are great to get the feel of a flat left wrist through impact. To get the feel on the long/full swings I like to have my students hit punch shots from a normal setup (meaning you cannot move the ball back). This will help quiet the hands and get the left wrist flat through the ball. Let me know how things go for you.

Took my 6 year old to the range today for her to try out the clubs I got her for her birthday and I hit a few with my 7 iron like he suggested. Couldn't hit anything most of it was pretty fat, if it wasn't fat then I'd top it. Think this is going to be a hard thing to get used to.

This will take some time to get comfortable with. Start out with 1/2 and 3/4 swings if need be. Just try to flight the ball down on the range and try to keep the hands quiet. You will get there it just takes some time.

Thanks for the encouragement and help, my daughter loved the range last night and wants to go every Wednesday so I think I'll use that as an opportunity to work on my swing every Week. However, I will be getting her her own bucket of balls she hit more then I did last night!

My son loves to go with me. He almost does the same thing, hitting more than I do, but then he will start just bringing me balls, "Here daddy, you hit this one"

I love it. Keep the kids interested. What a great way to spend some quality family time, I know some of my best memories are playing golf with my dad growing up.

had a better practice session today on the range was able to get half shots with the 7 iron w/out hitting the ball super fat. I did spray quite a few to the right when I didn't get the club face square at impact but that's just another thing I need to work on. I hit my new 3 wood a bit after working with the 7 iron and was really hitting that well, farthest flew about 225 and the average was carrying right at 200, feels weird cause that's about what I hit my driver on average so I must swing the 3 wood better for some reason.

And on a final note I keep seeing informercials for the tour striker, it seems like that might be a good training aid for the issue I currently have with flipping, any thoughts on that particular training aid?

I wish I did. I haven't seen or used the aid to have an opinion. Ask around I am sure someone here has tried it.

Another night on the driving range w/my daughter and if it wasn't for her being there it would have been aweful. Still trying the half swings with a 7 iron and I couldn't even make good contact everything was pushed right and hit fat. Finally gave up and hit my new 3 wood for a bit still hitting that well off of the deck so that was good. Very frustrated at the moment doesn't seem like any of these changes I'm trying to make are doing any good.

Back