Swing planes with irons

T_money28

Reaction score
How can you tell if your swing plane is too steep or low for a particular club? I sometimes struggle with the concept of swing plane and how it changes for each club (steeper for shorter irons and lower for long irons?). The way I think of it in my head is that you need to utilise arcs for long irons so you can generate enough speed and get the ball in the air. With short iron you can afford to swing steeper (which compresses the ball more?) and trust in the loft of the club to get it in the air. With a long iron you would risk chunking a steep swing and with a short iron you would risk thinning a shot when rotating too much?

There isn't a simple answer to your question because the characteristics of your club can also dictate the ideal swing plane for each club. You will need to get custom fitted clubs for your dynamic swing rather than custom fit your swing to your purchased clubs.

The 'Lie' angle
1633266776774.png

Clubhead Droop

1633266965260.png

The complexities of custom fitting can be explained here:

Design Notes - Lie Angle p2 (tutelman.com)

So I'm afraid the answer to your question is 'it depends' .

IMO Tiger's golf swing in 2000 was as good as a golf swing can be.
His record wins that year, are proof.

At that time, Tigers club swung 90 degrees to his spine.
As all true centripedal motion, "Centripetal force is perpendicular to velocity and causes uniform circular motion."

The swing guru's changed Tigers swing to a more upright "
swing plane" after 2000 and the list of injuries began.

Dont fight uniform circular motion by creating artificial "swing planes".
Find where your hands need to be for your true circular motion
and have your lie angles adjusted accordingly.

I think intuitively the shorter clubs are steeper and the longer clubs flatter swing plane. Video from DTL would help visualize where you are.

I think intuitively the shorter clubs are steeper and the longer clubs flatter swing plane. Video from DTL would help visualize where you are.
George Knudson explains this 14:11

The butt end of all the clubs is the same height from the ground. The wrists accomodate the changes in pitch of the plane. We dont change our swing
or swing plane.. .the club does that for us.

George Knudson explains this 14:11

The butt end of all the clubs is the same height from the ground. The wrists accomodate the changes in pitch of the plane. We dont change our swing
or swing plane.. .the club does that for us.

Yes, I was just referring to the different lengths of the clubs will cause a different arc. Players will still swing the same for each club, but the arc will be different

How can you tell if your swing plane is too steep or low for a particular club? I sometimes struggle with the concept of swing plane and how it changes for each club (steeper for shorter irons and lower for long irons?). The way I think of it in my head is that you need to utilise arcs for long irons so you can generate enough speed and get the ball in the air. With short iron you can afford to swing steeper (which compresses the ball more?) and trust in the loft of the club to get it in the air. With a long iron you would risk chunking a steep swing and with a short iron you would risk thinning a shot when rotating too much?
Golfers tend to relate swing plane to a one dimensional view. In reality the swing plane is a three dimensional concept involving the ball /target line, hand path around the body, lie angle and coiling /uncoiling of the torso and wrist hinge.
A really simple way of looking at the backswing plane when practicing, is to take the hands back and up on a path parallel to the ball target line and having the left arm parallel with the shaft angle at address at the top.
It worked for me.

Golfers tend to relate swing plane to a one dimensional view. In reality the swing plane is a three dimensional concept involving the ball /target line, hand path around the body, lie angle and coiling /uncoiling of the torso and wrist hinge.
A really simple way of looking at the backswing plane when practicing, is to take the hands back and up on a path parallel to the ball target line and having the left arm parallel with the shaft angle at address at the top.
It worked for me.
Suggest that we dig deeper into what it is we want to accomplish, rather than trying to carry out something golf instructors tell us.

Whip like action in golf swing derives from the exchange of arcs, from address when arc of right hand is longer (further from torso) than left hand arc
to end of BS when right hand arc is closer to torso than left hand arc
The 'whip' happens when the exchange of arcs in DS happens by physics( centripedal force) as part of the kinematic sequence
ather than by conscious hand action.

Plane, path, straight left arm or shaft angle at top may be of a consequence of
but not purposeful goals on their own.

Back