Swing speed question

Scorp

Lacking competent adult supervision
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The maveric woods thread got me thinking...

A few years ago I hit some 7 iron shots on a launch monitor at Golfsmith before they closed in my area. Club head speed averaged 63 and total distance averaged 143 yards. (I never paid too much attention and thought these were good numbers. Now I’m not so sure... it it is what it is and I guess I’m a slow club swinger).

What would that translate to in my driver for club head speed and distance? I’ve seen what you can guesstimate in the maveric woods thread and thought you may be able to do the same in this thread.

I’ve got a Rocketballz driver and woods and burner 2.0 clubs. I got the driver and woods used but think they have stock shafts. My irons I got new and have stock shafts.

Since my swing is slow, would I be better with something like a senior flex shaft?

I realize monitor numbers aren’t reality and I don’t plan on getting new clubs. Just thinking about where my golf game is and being honest with myself.

When you play a round, are you hitting your 7-iron on approach shots from 140 out? Because your swing speed/distance numbers don't seem to match with what I would expect. I imagine the Golfsmith launch monitor had some calibration issues, because I would expect swing speed to be in the 75 mph range for an avg of ~140 yds, or a distance of ~120 yds with a 65 mph swing speed. So one of those two numbers would seem to be off for you.

There are too many factors to say "yes, go get senior shaft" The ever present words "get fit" at least try to find a shop that has a couple different flexes, a couple different shafts and see what feels and responds best for your swing.

There are too many factors to say "yes, go get senior shaft" The ever present words "get fit" at least try to find a shop that has a couple different flexes, a couple different shafts and see what feels and responds best for your swing.

I second this! I recently was talking to a guy at the range who said he buys/sells clubs constantly that he's buying off eBay, etc. I told him about my fitter and he visited the fitter who told him he hit his new (to him) JPX clubs as good as any other offerings and to stick with what he's got. If nothing else, seeing a fitter will give you the confidence that you either need to switch things up--or not.

Thanks y’all. Bucknasty, I think I do hit my 7 iron about 140 yards... sometimes more, sometimes less.

I just don’t feel right walking into my local golf shop and asking “can I hit a few. I want to see how far they go...” and not have the intention of buying anything. Unless club shafts are reasonably priced... in which case I really would have the intent of buying something.

I just need to get onto the course and see how I do. It’s supposed to rain Saturday and be cold Sunday... maybe I can play then.

Thanks y’all. Bucknasty, I think I do hit my 7 iron about 140 yards... sometimes more, sometimes less.

I just don’t feel right walking into my local golf shop and asking “can I hit a few. I want to see how far they go...” and not have the intention of buying anything. Unless club shafts are reasonably priced... in which case I really would have the intent of buying something.

I just need to get onto the course and see how I do. It’s supposed to rain Saturday and be cold Sunday... maybe I can play then.
Or option 2: Check out the half priced fitting from Club Champion for the full bag and see if you can get in to do it before the deal expires. Their numbers will be right and revealing and will also give you some insight on any changes you could make to your current clubs that may be good for you

From what I see online 140 is about the average for a 7i.

I've seen several studies that show a 7 iron carry distance is like 64% of the driver. So a 140 yard 7 iron would equal 220 yard carry for driver. Then every 1 mph equates to like 2.5 yards of carry. I guess the question is how much faster can one swing a 20 gram lighter shaft? The super swing speed guys probably have that answer.

I would doubt just guessing that you don't need a senior flex shaft. But there are variables, to go get fit somewhere and take the guessing out of the equation.
I know going from a stiff flex shaft to a regular I picked up almost 5mph in swing speed. There are a LOT of variables in swing speed.

I don’t think I can get anything past my wife right now, even at 1/2 assuming there was a club champion around me. I’ve got a few things working against me right now... washing machine Grenada’s itself and had to be replaced. Vacuum cleaner stopped cooperating.

I’d try it but she’d say “ you haven’t played golf in 2 years. What makes you think new clubs would help?” And she would be right. Somehow she always is right. It’s uncanny really.

Joking aside, I did put golf aside for a couple of years as a sacrifice for my family. Now I don’t have to so I’m going to be selfish to a small extent.

From listening to golf unfiltered, I’m average. Average distance in irons. Average distance in driving. I’ll accept that for now and the indeterminate future but will go for a fitting to see if different clubs can help my game any more than the clubs I have now.

Thank you for the advice.

To add to the comments above, I would also say that you should factory in shaft weight as well. You may be better fit for a regular flex but lighter weight shaft. It really depends on a few factors, not just shaft stiffness. If you want to try something new without breaking the bank, check out Ben Hogan Golf and order a couple clubs for demo. All you will be out is $20 and you will get to real world test some of your concerns. It’s not a fitting, but it’s also not breaking the bank. From what you are saying, I bet your would really like the Recoil 760 F3.

To add to the comments above, I would also say that you should factory in shaft weight as well. You may be better fit for a regular flex but lighter weight shaft. It really depends on a few factors, not just shaft stiffness. If you want to try something new without breaking the bank, check out Ben Hogan Golf and order a couple clubs for demo. All you will be out is $20 and you will get to real world test some of your concerns. It’s not a fitting, but it’s also not breaking the bank. From what you are saying, I bet your would really like the Recoil 760 F3.
Interestingly enough, I hit tons of balls in a fitting with regular and stiff graphite shafts for G410 irons. Honestly, the store data pointed towards stiff, so did the sales guy, but I selected regular. On the course the regular shafts are IMO far better for me. I really think course swings are far different than "store swings". Tension, maybe other things, all subliminal, creep-in on the course.

Based on your OP, your driver SS would be in the low 80s. Your distance with 7 iron at the named SS suggests you have a pretty good smash factor (a measure of good contact).

There is no way to know what shaft is optimal for you based on just this data. Too many other factors to consider.

I'm a big advocate for fitting. But in your case, I'd get some rounds under my belt first given the 2-year layoff you cited.

I would doubt just guessing that you don't need a senior flex shaft. But there are variables, to go get fit somewhere and take the guessing out of the equation.
I know going from a stiff flex shaft to a regular I picked up almost 5mph in swing speed. There are a LOT of variables in swing speed.
You make a good point here and I need to take the guesswork out as well. I have graphite shafts on my irons. I bought them because I simply figured since I am older at 65 yrs I should swing something that is not hard on me. I don't have arthritis or anything like that, but just trying to do what is right for an older guy.

The thing is, I don't hit them as good as my buddy and usually club up to hit the same yardage and yet I have a faster average swing speed than he does. We were playing a round not long ago and he said, "Here take my iron and hit it and see how you do." I hit his steel shaft iron as far if not farther than he did. I have done this a few times now.

Each time he is amazed at how I hit his irons. Every time I have hit his irons I have smoked them. This is what got me to thinking I am playing the wrong iron/shaft combo for my game and really need to look into this.

You make a good point here and I need to take the guesswork out as well. I have graphite shafts on my irons. I bought them because I simply figured since I am older at 65 yrs I should swing something that is not hard on me. I don't have arthritis or anything like that, but just trying to do what is right for an older guy.

The thing is, I don't hit them as good as my buddy and usually club up to hit the same yardage and yet I have a faster average swing speed than he does. We were playing a round not long ago and he said, "Here take my iron and hit it and see how you do." I hit his steel shaft iron as far if not farther than he did. I have done this a few times now.

Each time he is amazed at how I hit his irons. Every time I have hit his irons I have smoked them. This is what got me to thinking I am playing the wrong iron/shaft combo for my game and really need to look into this.
Which graphite shafts are you playing now? Which irons? Different shaft/iron head combos can make a big difference.

Which graphite shafts are you playing now? Which irons? Different shaft/iron head combos can make a big difference.
Currently my irons are Wilson Di7 with UST Proforce V2 shafts - uniflex I think which is supposed to be regular or maybe slightly stiff graphite. They are light to swing and I really don't feel a lot of head weight at all. I found a picture of similar shafts. My grips are MCC Plus (not pictured).

UST Shafts.jpg1579276408101.png

This may not be a popular opinion, but I stopped getting all wrapped up in the numbers. I look at ball flight and what it feels like at impact and swing.

If that means I'm swinging out of my shoes at 95mph, using an A flex, but the ball flight is consistent and the distance is predictable... im good to go.

Those are nice looking irons. All I can say is maybe take them in and see if a different shaft performs better. I have used ProForce V2 shafts but not in irons, only in woods. Would be interesting if you could test somewhere and try the Recoil shafts and see how much difference it might make. The 760/780 might be a good starting point, it is a bit lighter, would give a bit more swing speed maybe and some launch.

Those are nice looking irons. All I can say is maybe take them in and see if a different shaft performs better. I have used ProForce V2 shafts but not in irons, only in woods. Would be interesting if you could test somewhere and try the Recoil shafts and see how much difference it might make. The 760/780 might be a good starting point, it is a bit lighter, would give a bit more swing speed maybe and some launch.
Thanks. I appreciate the input. I had gotten somewhat fitted for my driver a few months back, but never the irons. The UST recoil 760/780 might give that extra feeling in the tip of the iron head weight. I plan to go by my fitter soon, so I will take a few swings with those and compare them.

It's supposed to be cold here tomorrow. And rainy... if it's not wet in the morning, my son is asking to go to the driving range. That's my plan. I want to hit the range one more time for me before I set foot on a course to play and pace off yardage for my clubs so I can know for sure what I'm hitting.

If it's rainy then I'll take him to my local golf store and see if I can swing my driver on their monitor to see what's what.

I've been hacking at golf for the last 2 decades off and on. And I want to play consistently now that I'm more able to even though I took the last 2 years off from golf... (work. family. golf buddies retired and moved out of state.)

Went to my local golf store today and got on their launch monitor. It’s kind of depressing for me but it’s reality.

Hi, I’m Scorpion12 and my 7 iron swing speed is 73 mph avg. And I hit the ball 130 yards with it or so. And my driver swing speed is between 79-85 mph and I get almost 185 yards on average.

Went to my local golf store today and got on their launch monitor. It’s kind of depressing for me but it’s reality.

Hi, I’m Scorpion12 and my 7 iron swing speed is 73 mph avg. And I hit the ball 130 yards with it or so. And my driver swing speed is between 79-85 mph and I get almost 185 yards on average.
No despair required! Think of it this way....you get to hit 3 shots on long par 4's vs. the measly 2 shots by longer hitters. Your cost per swing is much lower!

I’ve got one or two things to do at the driving range... the guy at the golf store suggested a change to my grip and a bit more spine angle. The first time I tried those I hit the hosel of my driver and shanked it.

He also changed the loft of my driver. That wound up giving me an extra 5 yards of carry. So I was smoking my drives 185 yards straight down the virtual fairway. :)

Once I was warmed up a bit it was better. So I want to try those again.:)

The maveric woods thread got me thinking...

A few years ago I hit some 7 iron shots on a launch monitor at Golfsmith before they closed in my area. Club head speed averaged 63 and total distance averaged 143 yards. (I never paid too much attention and thought these were good numbers. Now I’m not so sure... it it is what it is and I guess I’m a slow club swinger).

What would that translate to in my driver for club head speed and distance? I’ve seen what you can guesstimate in the maveric woods thread and thought you may be able to do the same in this thread.

I’ve got a Rocketballz driver and woods and burner 2.0 clubs. I got the driver and woods used but think they have stock shafts. My irons I got new and have stock shafts.

Since my swing is slow, would I be better with something like a senior flex shaft?

I realize monitor numbers aren’t reality and I don’t plan on getting new clubs. Just thinking about where my golf game is and being honest with myself.
OK...I'm replying to above...I have not read thru the entire thread...I was measured up a few days ago...my 7i was 75mph with 140ish carry 148 total. I hit about 8 different clubs with results at or below the distances shown. Always my speed was consistent. Idea was to manipulate the spin rates....My belief is no way a 63 speed creates 143 total distance. Going just off 63 as being correct, you would fit into a sr shaft...A also was picking out a new 3w too. And swung 5 options there. I ended up getting the 3w to match the driver I got in Oct Epic Flash...I got the 5.5 reg shaft in it but candidly with my speed which was 87 with 3w, I hit the sr shaft the furthest in carry.

OK...I'm replying to above...I have not read thru the entire thread...I was measured up a few days ago...my 7i was 75mph with 140ish carry 148 total. I hit about 8 different clubs with results at or below the distances shown. Always my speed was consistent. Idea was to manipulate the spin rates....My belief is no way a 63 speed creates 143 total distance. Going just off 63 as being correct, you would fit into a sr shaft...A also was picking out a new 3w too. And swung 5 options there. I ended up getting the 3w to match the driver I got in Oct Epic Flash...I got the 5.5 reg shaft in it but candidly with my speed which was 87 with 3w, I hit the sr shaft the furthest in carry.
You’re right. I hint the launch monitor at my local golf store Friday Andy my 7i swing speed was 73 mph average and carry of about 130. My driver was 79-85 mph with a carry of 180 or so.

If I come across a required carry on a course of more than 180 yards I’m not going to be able to hit across it. I’ll be looking for forward tees or the drop area after I lose my first ball.:oops:

Back